Water Heater Recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Heater Recovery

Good Afternoon All. I have a 2021 M399TH-R. This is an upgrade from another slightly smaller toy hauler. I've been around RVs for over 30+ years and while there are things I think I know, there is a lot I do not.

I have a two part question. My first question is hopefully just to confirm what I think I know so my wife will leave me alone about it.

We have a 12G water heater, and we have found that we are out of hot water after (sometimes before) just 2 showers. In our old rig we have a 10G heater and could easily get through two or more. This makes my wife a little angry when she cant get through her shower. I attribute this to the fact that we have the residential style shower in this rig. In our old one we used an Oxygenics shower head. I feel the water flow is considerably more in the new shower, thus it goes through more water. Also the reason she was surprised to fill up our much larger bath gray tank in my opinion. Am I on track with this line of thinking?

Second, In my old rig, we were told by a mfg rep that turning on both gas and electric for the water heater helps the recovery time, which we could see. I do not see the same results in our new rig. Thoughts?

Thanks for the advice!
    Robert

PS I hate OneControl and wish it would burn in hell.... but that's for another post on another day.
    Robert & Cat
    2021 Momentum 399TH-R
    2019 F350 DRW
    2017 Yamaha Fully Custom GC built for the beach!

Wreck'Em Tech!

Originally posted by TTremmy View Post
    Good Afternoon All. I have a 2021 M399TH-R. This is an upgrade from another slightly smaller toy hauler. I've been around RVs for over 30+ years and while there are things I think I know, there is a lot I do not.

I have a two part question. My first question is hopefully just to confirm what I think I know so my wife will leave me alone about it.

We have a 12G water heater, and we have found that we are out of hot water after (sometimes before) just 2 showers. In our old rig we have a 10G heater and could easily get through two or more. This makes my wife a little angry when she cant get through her shower. I attribute this to the fact that we have the residential style shower in this rig. In our old one we used an Oxygenics shower head. I feel the water flow is considerably more in the new shower, thus it goes through more water. Also the reason she was surprised to fill up our much larger bath gray tank in my opinion. Am I on track with this line of thinking?

Second, In my old rig, we were told by a mfg rep that turning on both gas and electric for the water heater helps the recovery time, which we could see. I do not see the same results in our new rig. Thoughts?

Thanks for the advice!
    Robert

PS I hate OneControl and wish it would burn in hell.... but that's for another post on another day.
    Welcome, Robert & Cat! Since you have a sig line you've probably already read the Welcome Letter, but if not you'll find it here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

I'm surprised that running both gas and electric doesn't result in a fast turnaround time. My experience is with the smaller 6 gallon tank, but it works remarkably well. Have you tested both the propane and electric independently to ensure they are both working?

I agree with your line of thinking regarding water consumption--perhaps a switch back to the familiar Oxygenics will help?

When you're ready, fire away (in a new thread, please) about the OneControl.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The recovery with both gas and electric should be very high. Not sure what the flow rate is on your residential shower head but they tend to be 2.1-2.5gpm (1.8gpm in CA). I replaced our shower head with the oxygenics Fury RV and its very nice even at its 1.8gpm flow rate. I estimate we use 5-6 gallons for each shower using a camping method to conserve.
      I do not believe or am not aware of a temperature adjustment where our hot water can easily scald its so hot. I estimate we are using 70%Cold and 30%Hot to balance.

Jim

Comment

Well, the obvious answer is to let the wife shower first.😊
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Welcome, Robert & Cat! Since you have a sig line you've probably already read the Welcome Letter, but if not you'll find it here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

I'm surprised that running both gas and electric doesn't result in a fast turnaround time. My experience is with the smaller 6 gallon tank, but it works remarkably well. Have you tested both the propane and electric independently to ensure they are both working?

I agree with your line of thinking regarding water consumption--perhaps a switch back to the familiar Oxygenics will help?

When you're ready, fire away (in a new thread, please) about the OneControl.

Howard
          Thanks for the response Howard. I have tried gas alone, but have yet to run just electric, so I will test that next time out. As for changing the shower head, I haven't looked too much into that yet, but with the new set up they have, I am not sure its an option. I'll do some digging though.

JBill9694 I totally agree with your comment!
          Robert & Cat
          2021 Momentum 399TH-R
          2019 F350 DRW
          2017 Yamaha Fully Custom GC built for the beach!

Wreck'Em Tech!

Comment

I found inline flow shutoffs at Lowe's in the plumbing repair section, about $6. I put one at the main shower head, and the handheld hose. You can either shut off the flow, or infinitely reduce to a trickle, if you like. They have really helped.
            Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
            2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
            2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
            2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
            Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Working...
            X