Help! 2020 Reflection 315RLTS no water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! 2020 Reflection 315RLTS no water

It has been unusually cold here. We woke up to the water not working. The fresh water tank is full but when I switch on the pump nothing happens. We are connected to city water as well and nothing is coming from that either. Any help would be be appreciated.

Originally posted by Caralynn716@gmail.com View Post
    It has been unusually cold here. We woke up to the water not working. The fresh water tank is full but when I switch on the pump nothing happens. We are connected to city water as well and nothing is coming from that either. Any help would be be appreciated.
    Most likely one or more of the low point drains sticking out under the trailer have frozen. There's always water in those lines and if not protected will freeze.

Should be easy to verify--take out the plug and if water doesn't come out it's frozen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	low point.JPG
Views:	683
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	43010
    When this emergency passes I hope you'll take a moment to read the Welcome Letter to New Members

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You might be able to plug a hair dryer into the shore post pedestal and thaw the low point drain that howson has pointed to above. Also disconnect the fresh water line from the post and make sure it is not frozen or the spigot.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

What a terrible first post!

First question(s), did you have the artic 4-season protection package and are your tank heaters on?

Second, is your furnace running? Sounds silly, but if the furnace was off during the night there was no heat in the underbelly. Also, running the furnace is your best shot at warming up the water lines.

Third, are the valves on the Nautilus panel set for dry camping?

Basically, get things warmed up, make sure the valves are set correctly, and then try the water pump again.
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I was communicating with another GDRV owner yesterday elsewhere dealing with possibly the same issue as yours. You state that when you turn on the water pump nothing happens......not sure if you mean the pump is not working or you can hear it running but have no water flow from the faucets, toilet, etc. This other owner could hear the pump running but was getting no water from any faucet nor from the toilet.

We determined that the fresh water line from the fresh tank to the pump had frozen. Using a hair dryer and a fan, they blew hot air into the area between the RV main floor floor and coroplast by accessing the opening for the fresh water lines (possibly plumbing too) under the center island floor. After a few hours, they had water in all locations. They also removed the low point drain caps as Howard suggested in post #2 here and thawed them as well using the hair dryer. After a short time, water and small ice pieces fell out of the low point drains.

Running the furnace to get heat to your area between the floor and coroplast is very important is these cold conditions. Not doing so or not doing enough by using the fireplace and possibly supplemental electric heat sources will most likely lead to frozen water lines over a few hours with no usage.

Keep us posted.

Dan
          Last edited by Canyonlight; 02-16-2021, 12:10 PM.
          Dan & Carol
          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
            What a terrible first post!

First question(s), did you have the artic 4-season protection package and are your tank heaters on?

Second, is your furnace running? Sounds silly, but if the furnace was off during the night there was no heat in the underbelly. Also, running the furnace is your best shot at warming up the water lines.

Third, are the valves on the Nautilus panel set for dry camping?

Basically, get things warmed up, make sure the valves are set correctly, and then try the water pump again.

We do have the Arctic package. The tank heaters have been on. I don’t think the valves are set for dry camping as we do have hook ups for city water, should I switch to the dry camping temporarily?

we are now getting a little trickle of water but very little pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
              I was communicating with another GDRV owner yesterday elsewhere dealing with possibly the same issue as yours. You state that when you turn on the water pump nothing happens......not sure if you mean the pump is not working or you can hear it running but have no water flow from the faucets, toilet, etc. This other owner could hear the pump running but was getting no water from any faucet nor from the toilet.

We determined that the fresh water line from the fresh tank to the pump had frozen. Using a hair dryer and a fan, they blew hot air into the area between the RV main floor floor and coroplast by accessing the opening for the fresh water lines (possibly plumbing too) under the center island floor. After a few hours, they had water in all locations. They also removed the low point drain caps as Howard suggested in post #2 here and thawed them as well using the hair dryer. After a short time, water and small ice pieces fell out of the low point drains.

Running the furnace to get heat to your area between the floor and coroplast is very important is these cold conditions. Not doing so or not doing enough by using the fireplace and possibly supplemental electric heat sources will most likely lead to frozen water lines over a few hours with no usage.

Keep us posted.

Dan
              I can definitely hear the pump, at first there was zero water now we get a little trickle but not much pressure at all. I will try the hair dryer trick and see what kind of results I can get.

Comment

If you haven't already, then yes! Switch the valves to dry camping. Your pump won't draw water from the fresh water tank unless the valves are set correctly. Also, keep that furnace going. It doesn't need to run all the time, but it does need to run.

I suspect that you've already found out that the problem was A: A frozen spigot (Even with a heated hose, the spigot or the pipe to the spigot can get frozen), B. A frozen supply hose (hose wasn't heated), or C. Both. You can wait for the spigot/hose to thaw out on their own or use a hair dryer to speed up the process.

Going forward, decide how you want to supply water to your unit.

If from an outside spigot, then you need to keep parts that are exposed to freezing temperatures warm. Or you need to keep water flowing through the spigot and hose by leaving a faucet open. Not much, just enough to get a steady drip. If you go with the drip method it's a good idea to leave your gray tank drain valve open, too. Don't want to get up to an overflowing gray tank.

If from the fresh water tank, then you will want to turn off the water at the spigot and drain your supply hose. I disconnect from the spigot and loosen the connection at my intake so that there isn't a vacuum in the hose when I drain it, and then I drain it as completely as I can.

Good luck and I assure you warmer days are coming.

John
                2018 Momentum 395M
                2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

You all have been so great, I can’t thank you enough for all the great advice. We have water. This RV newby is learning on the fly and I really appreciate your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Caralynn716@gmail.com View Post
                    You all have been so great, I can’t thank you enough for all the great advice. We have water. This RV newby is learning on the fly and I really appreciate your help!
                    Good to hear ! Like it when a team plan and execution comes together. While not a good experience to go through, it is a good learning opportunity and will make for conversation around the campfires at some point with friends and beverages !

Dan
                    Dan & Carol
                    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Working...
                    X