Hot water tank LEAKS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    Cate&Rob dave brown I had 2 units that would not open the pressure relief, but would leak through various fittings.

Dave, are you leaving the HWH on all the time? I found that mine would only leak the first time the HWH heated up and then be fine. As funny as this may sound, you may try pulling the screen in the city water connection out and reversing it like winterizing in order to bypass the one way valve to see if it will vent the excess pressure back into the city supply, be advise that your pressure regulator may not allow the back pressure and you may have to eliminate that to test the theory.
    Many places require backflow protection on outdoor spigots/hydrants like those used in RV Parks and camps. Not sure that trying to bleed pressure back into the system would get past the BFP. Also, the park system is probably running at a higher pressure than the RV system, which is why we have pressure reducing valve in the first place, so it would be like using a handpump to force more air into an already inflated bike tire.. Not trying to pick a fight, just don't think that reversing the cone to hold the backflow valve open is sound advice (But I could be wrong)
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I would agree with John above. Reversing the cone might just cause more issues than we are already trying to fix. The reason for the check valve is so the water in the RV can not contaminate the water in the park. A lot of the state parks that we have been to have a valve right at the post. These leave a little spurt of water once and a while to relieve pressure.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        The greatest pressure rise is definitely the first time the water heater is turned on which starts with the coldest water.
        I hadn't noticed this previously so looked for it on the last trip--was shocked to see the pressure gauge I put on the Nautilus pegged at max pressure after the water heated up. I used the spray port to relieve some pressure as you suggested and the pressure dropped down to the expected 40-50(?) psi
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The water system pressure can rise to the relief valve setting of 150psi in the closed system of an rv. That's why people report water dripping from the valve on the water heater.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I hadn't noticed this previously so looked for it on the last trip--was shocked to see the pressure gauge I put on the Nautilus pegged at max pressure after the water heated up. I used the spray port to relieve some pressure as you suggested and the pressure dropped down to the expected 40-50(?) psi
            Hi Howard,

This is as I would expect because you now have an "all Pex" system with little expansion capability. If you still had sections of soft hose, there would be less pressure rise because the hose can expand to accommodate some of the increased volume of water. With my 2 gallon accumulator tank, pressure rise in the same scenario is negligible. Even if the accumulator tank is sitting at full pressure, the increased water volume from heating is easily absorbed by the air bladder in the accumulator tank. I can see an accumulator tank in your future . . . .

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
            X