Tank Flush Gate Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Flush Gate Valve

I finally got tired of unpleasant liquids spilling out when you remove the cap to flush the tanks. Yes, I wear gloves and have Clorox wipes etc. But, every time stuff comes out (I think it is still coming just slowly and gets jostled around as you move, despite tank valves being shut. Anyway, my father in law bought something similar so I got on amazon and purchased this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008O9DV78...v_ov_lig_dp_it

My purpose and intent is to leave it on 24x7. It is self defeating if I have to remove the cap and then install this. Not to mention, just one more dirty item to store.

Unfortunately (I think?) my tank flush piping is flush with the edge of the camper. So, when installed, it sticks out 6-7 inches or so past the edge of the camper (see pics). I love the clear elbow, but I called my father in law (his does not have) and his still sticks out 4-5" easy. Cutting the pipe and redoing the end so it is not flush does not sound like a great option....not to mention, once cut....you are committed....no backing out on that one. Can't make it grow...can always make it smaller.

I am torn....I hate to drive down the road with a protrusion such as this....but on the other hand if something takes this thing out.....they are too close and probably hitting my trailer anyway!

Thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210620_230958849.jpg
Views:	1248
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	58200Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210620_230939547.jpg
Views:	1143
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	58201Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210620_230945476.jpg
Views:	1122
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	58202
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

bellis

Many of us use the twist-on gate valve but without the elbow. This adds about 2" to the original drain pipe . This is reasonable for most. It looks like you have room to cut the the pipe and glue on a new flange if you want to tuck this in further under the RV.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      bellis

Many of us use the twist-on gate valve but without the elbow. This adds about 2" to the original drain pipe . This is reasonable for most. It looks like you have room to cut the the pipe and glue on a new flange if you want to tuck this in further under the RV.

Rob
      Do you know where a new flange could be purchased?
      2020 Imagine 2400BH
      2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post

Do you know where a new flange could be purchased?
        Most RV Dealers should have these. (Breaking off a pin is not uncommon). E Trailer link attached.
        https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-RV_..._Fittings.aspx

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thoughts?
          Just swap the clear elbow and twist-on gate valve order. Leave the gate valve installed but don't leave the clear elbow installed--it goes on as part of the dumping process otherwise store with the other "stinky" items.

RV Waste Connection > Gate Valve > Clear Elbow > Stinky hose...
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Most RV Dealers should have these. (Breaking off a pin is not uncommon). E Trailer link attached.
            https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-RV_..._Fittings.aspx

Rob
            I may do that....hate to...but I may cut and replace to give more room.

Originally posted by howson View Post

Just swap the clear elbow and twist-on gate valve order. Leave the gate valve installed but don't leave the clear elbow installed--it goes on as part of the dumping process otherwise store with the other "stinky" items.

RV Waste Connection > Gate Valve > Clear Elbow > Stinky hose...
            Maybe I am missing it - how do I reverse it? Buy a part? The connections for the host etc are sorta one way....and lead to a clear elbow at the bottom of the stinky slinky...
            2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Name:	20210622_184553.jpg
Views:	1046
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	58344

Here is my arrangement. A twist on valve at the top of the picture. The flush king connected to it. I can remove the flush king and leave the twist on valve connected to the waste pipe.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post

Name:	20210622_184553.jpg
Views:	1046
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	58344

Here is my arrangement. A twist on valve at the top of the picture. The flush king connected to it. I can remove the flush king and leave the twist on valve connected to the waste pipe.
                The first gate valve you have near the rig....which one is that? Can you send a link?
                2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...31038926&psc=1

The Valterra twist on valve. By leaving this valve in place and closed keeps any leaked water from coming out when the cap is removed.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Maybe I am missing it - how do I reverse it? Buy a part?
                    I didn't look closely enough--the component you have is different from what I have (sorry). The Valterra components I have are two independent pieces.

The Waste Valve stays on my camper all the time. The clear elbow/Hydroflush gets installed when dumping. (The dump hose attaches to the elbow.) The elbow is stored when not in use (not left attached to the camper).

Name:	Valterra2.JPG
Views:	868
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	58356Click image for larger version

Name:	Valterra1.JPG
Views:	873
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	58357

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                      https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...31038926&psc=1

The Valterra twist on valve. By leaving this valve in place and closed keeps any leaked water from coming out when the cap is removed.
                      I think that is what my father in law has. It still is about 5"?
                      2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Yes. 4.5 to 5 inches added length.
                        Ted
                        2021 Reflection 310RLS
                        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Installed the smaller amazon version today: https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...31038926&psc=1

Have a spare / lightly used (once) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008O9DV78...v_ov_lig_dp_it
                          If someone is interested - pm me....otherwise it will just sit in storage. I don't feel right about returning to amazon used.

On my rig - the new or smaller one still sticks out further than I would like....but it did cut off 3-4" compared to the other one. Really liked that clear elbow though....

Name:	shorter1.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	60373Click image for larger version

Name:	shorter2.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	60374

For now - this project is complete!
                          2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

So far - no issues with this gate....works as intended AND it doesn't stick out as far.
                            2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

bellis

Might be a bit OT, but the pic below was taken showing the setup in my Mom's Class A (Winnebago). Note how there's flexible collars ( something Cate&Rob has mentioned in the past ) and how easy it would be to replace a malfunctioning valve. And no cables to actuate the valves! This, IMHO, is a far superior setup to anything I've seen on our GD trailers. Winnebago probably has the luxury due to where the tanks are installed and the huge underbelly of a Class A where a trailer is relatively constricted due to height clearance restrictions and good 'ol gravity.

Howard

Name:	easy.JPG
Views:	749
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	61969

Comment

Working...
                              X