2018 303RLS Water Heater Circuit Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 303RLS Water Heater Circuit Board

Water heater works in electric, but not in gas mode. Can't get DCvoltage to ignitor circuit. Does this point to a bad circuit board? Could it be anything else?..........Steve

Hi Steve! Welcome.

Is it a Suburban or Atwood (Dometic) water heater?

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Would you mind clarifying what is meant by DC voltage to
      igniter circuit?

A couple of suggestions:

First I’m assuming this is a Dometic water heater.

With the water heater not up to temperature, remove the igniter wire from the control board. With a pair of insulated pliers hold the lead close to the post on the control board, have someone else turn on the gas side of the water heater. Do you see sparks from the control board to the lead? If yes then the board is trying to ignite - at this point it will take more in-depth troubleshooting, though guessing and guessing is the keyword the gas valve isn’t opening or there is a kinked hose someplace.

Another quick check, remove the retaining screws for the control board. Is there a barely noticeable melted spot on the back of the board? If yes, most likely the board is bad. Not all bad boards have a melted spot. And I’ve never seen a good board with a melted spot - though I don’t run around pulling boards on correctly operating water heaters looking for a melted spot.

If the water heater is a Suburban the check for sparks process is a little different as the control board isn’t out in the open. Start with looking for sparks in the burner area while someone else turns the gas side on.
      Colan Arnold
      2016 Momentum 397TH
      Full time since 2016

Comment

6 gal Atwood. Gas valve is operating. No spark from board to lead. No noticable bad spots either side of board.

Comment

Had the identical issue with mine this summer and replaced it with this circuit board

https://smile.amazon.com/Dinosaur-El.../dp/B0130Y8I1K
          337RLS (2017) and 367BHS (2019)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Kassel View Post
            6 gal Atwood. Gas valve is operating. No spark from board to lead. No noticable bad spots either side of board.
            I had this problem on my Atwood as well as my father in laws. Both were bad boards, which seem to have a reputation for going bad. I replaced both with a Dinosaur brand board, I had used them on my fridge in my old rig and had good luck. Time will tell if it is any better than the stock board.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Kassel View Post
              Steve,
              I moved this thread to the "Plumbing" section as I think we've diagnosed your issue. Check out this thread as it may be helpful: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...rd-replacement

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
              X