No announcement yet.

Tank level indicators whacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note. I am not an expert on these things, I just finished the project and the research. So if anyone notices a mistake please let me know and I correct it

I just finished up putting the Seelevel system in our Solitude 375 last weekend. The hardest part is getting to a clear/clean spot on the tank to attached the sensor pad. The sensors can all be daisy chained together so you don't need dedicated wires to each sensor. You cut a piece on each sensor and that allows the monitor to tell the tanks apart. I have even heard of people using the existing wires from the current system and just repurposing them. My stock sensors didn't work at all so I may have had a broken wire somewhere so I just ran all new wires.

The sensors can be cut to down or doubled up (not a need on any tanks we have). But the taller the sensor is the less "resolution" it has. The smallest one the junior sensor starts a 6" and I believe can be cut in 1" segments down to 4" tall. You can't cut it anywhere you want, there are specific places it can be cut. They also have a 12" sensor (ES). Which can be cut in 1 1/2" segments. I believe there are 4 measurement points in each section. So the smaller the section the the closer the "resolution" or accuracy if you prefer. (this is what I was told by the manufacturer Garnet)

Edit: looks like Garnet just updated the sensor size options. Not sure of the details

They have multiple system options; 3/4 tanks, pump switches, bluetooth, etc. So you just need to find the one that works best for your situation. RV upgrades seems to be the prefered outlet from Garnet for the system. Thats who they recommended when we spoke.

Sensor install:

If you use the GD parts look up you should be able to get the sizes of your tanks.

I used the junior sensor (6") on the water tank. My water tank was 7 3/4" tall and I mounted it about a 1/2" off the bottom right next to the sump. I figured the tank was 1/4" +/- thick so that put my just off the bottom of the tank. I put it toward the bottom as I care when it gets close to empty rather than full. Using a water monitor, I get 65 gallons when the monitor reads 100%. I get another 7 in before it comes out the overflow. The rig wasn't perfectly level so may be off a gallon or 2.

The holding tanks are all 52 gallon sizes and pitched from around 6" to 8 3/4". I went with the 12" sensors cut to 7 1/2" +/-. These I mounted on the tall side next to the outlet toward the top (opposite of the water, more concerned about when they get close to full than empty). These do seem like they fill fast at first because your filling along the pitched bottom.

Monitor install:

This is where my install will differ than most since I wanted to be able to monitor the tanks from my touch screen/cerbo GX monitor for our inverter. There is only one model from garnet that this is possible with.(https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Garne...09-n2k-nlp.htm ) It only has a 3 tank system, its missing the second grey tank. I mounted the included monitor from seelevel in the nautilus compartment to monitor while filling and dumping. I wasn't sure how useful that was but I do enjoy having it there. I used an modified Ethernet cord to connect the seelevel monitor to the cerbo gx inside the unit. I got around the 2 grey tank problem by adding a selector switch with the wires from each gray tank so I just need to flip the switch to check between tanks. I mounted this inside right by the cerbo monitor.

Cerbo interface:

For those interested in how to use the cerbo here is where I got my information. It worked perfectly. Follow the instructions from the "accepted answer" from "geomz" and the adjustment from "kevin windrem" below it. It may seem complicated but it went smoothly. I will add one detail that may just assumed by them. After installing the resistor in the modified cable I used a shrink wrap to protect and give the new end some more strength

https://community.victronenergy.com/...-interfac.html

Used it the first time this past weekend. I can't be happier with the result. Seems very accurate and it all worked flawlessly. My dad has used Seelevel for years so I'm not concerned about longevity, they seem to have a pretty good reputation.

Jim & Heidi
    2021 Solitude 375RES-r
    2024 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW

Comment

JRKJR -- thank you for the post! It seems like there are multiple ways around getting tank information on a GX display, but few "ready-made" solutions which is very puzzling. Sure seems like there's a market for a company (like SeeLevel!) to make a solution that plugs into the Victron system natively without jumping through a lot of hoops.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        JRKJR -- thank you for the post! It seems like there are multiple ways around getting tank information on a GX display, but few "ready-made" solutions which is very puzzling. Sure seems like there's a market for a company (like SeeLevel!) to make a solution that plugs into the Victron system natively without jumping through a lot of hoops.
        Yes, it is odd that its not easier. I had read about some of the other ways that had been tried but no one seemed to have them dialed in or they were more work than I wanted to try. Also I was confident with the Seelevel system, they seem to be the best option out there.

Making the cord really only took about 20 minutes. It wasn't hard at all and that type of stuff is foreign to me. I ordered the plug and resistor from the place recommended in the post ( I actually ordered 2 of each incase I screwed up but worked first try) and a 10' ethernet cord from amazon.
        Jim & Heidi
        2021 Solitude 375RES-r

Comment

ncitro -- have you incorporated the SeeLevel into your Victron setup?
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

JRKJR -- when you get time, will you please post pictures of the SeeLevel monitor (how it looks) and also the CCGX display? I should be able to duplicate what you've done since our setups seem similar.

Howard & Francine

Comment

JRKJR -- when you get time, will you please post pictures of the SeeLevel monitor (how it looks) and also the CCGX display? I should be able to duplicate what you've done since our setups seem similar.
              Here is a quick pic of the cerbo display, I'll need to get one of the Seelevel later
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Cerbo tank.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	89344
              Attached Files
              Jim & Heidi
              2021 Solitude 375RES-r

Comment

howson No, I have thought about it, but that software was in beta at the time I did mine, and the SeeLevel was not supported yet. Then once they got it working my displays were not, and I did not feel like replacing them or dealing with the hole I would have in my panel. Nice idea though, I would certainly consider it.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Look forward to the report... .
                  The new sensors worked as they should... glad I took the time to change them.
                  Jim (& Sharon)
                  2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                  2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                  The toys:
                  2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                  2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Working...
                  X