Tank level indicators whacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank level indicators whacked

Hi. Thanks in advance- does anyone have experience with how and with what product to replace our completely inaccurate tank level indicators.
    gary and Lisa - 2021-Reflection 260 RD

Gary and Lisa - The only accurate one's I've ever heard of are "SeeLevel" brand. Most of us have just learned to live with the wildly inaccurate gauges.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

gary and lisa I run the Seelevel and have had great luck with them.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
        gary and lisa I run the Seelevel and have had great luck with them.
        Is the install difficult? How easy is it to remove the coroplast and reattach it? Do you have four tanks -- white, grey, grey and black? How tall were your tanks?

Thanks,

Charles
        2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

Originally posted by Crespro View Post

Is the install difficult? How easy is it to remove the coroplast and reattach it? Do you have four tanks -- white, grey, grey and black? How tall were your tanks?

Thanks,

Charles
          I found it to be not too difficult. The corplast comes down with screws and they go back up the same way. It's a little awkward but not too bad. I've had mine down several times. I used the junior sensors because our tanks are so short. 6 inches as I recall. I have four tanks, one fresh, one black, and two grey. I got two displays so I can check the levels inside but also monitor the levels at the Nautilus panel while dumping and flushing.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro

Comment

I'm partway through an install of the SeaLevel system. I'll make a writeup post soon, but waiting until I finish the install first.
            David and Deana
            2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
            2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by WondersAwait View Post
              I'm partway through an install of the SeaLevel system. I'll make a writeup post soon, but waiting until I finish the install first.
              Looking forward to reading it! I "see" this system being installed on my 315RLTS soon.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yes, thanks to Neil and I also will be interested in this writeup. It is surprising to me that Grand Design has not moved to a sensor outside the tanks. The current tank system is the same as the one when I started RVing in 1990. It seems like the system should be moved from inside to outside the tank. Perhaps the Moderators can discuss this with Grand Design at their next meeting.
                2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

Quick side note, last trip out, fully dumped all tanks, flushed the black... still reading 2/3... oh well

Got home and it's still reading 2/3, oh well

4 weeks later, it now reads empty, must be from evaporation (/s)

Comment

Yeah the running joke is the best way to fix the stock gauges is to put black tape over the display lol.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by Toy4Rick View Post
                      Quick side note, last trip out, fully dumped all tanks, flushed the black... still reading 2/3... oh well

Got home and it's still reading 2/3, oh well

4 weeks later, it now reads empty, must be from evaporation (/s)

You probably have TP stuck to a probe. Next time out add 1 cup of Dawn and a Tied laundry pod to the tank with 5 to 10 gallons of water. The Dawn slicks things up and breaks up grease to prevent sticking and the Tied pod helps dissolve everything. Been using this trick for years and usually my gauges behave themselves. No issue with the fresh water tank, or gray - just black.

Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

We have never had a trailer where I felt the indicators were accurate. We have however learned to watch them when getting a new trailer and see what the gauge shows vs what we find when we dump the tanks. Typically they are consistent in their inaccuracy. We just use them as a rough guide. Since we dont weekend and typically have longer stays we go more by days of use than any other measure,
                        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2024 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas with faux Allison 10 speed. Nellie the Diva, wonder boxer

Comment

I just did a probe replacement with "Valterra Horst Miracle Probes" on Black Tank and two Grays (cleaning wasn't working.) The design of the new probes SHOULD eliminate the false readings. First trip out with them this coming weekend.
                          Jim (& Sharon)
                          2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                          2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                          The toys:
                          2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                          2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
                            I just did a probe replacement with "Valterra Horst Miracle Probes" on Black Tank and two Grays (cleaning wasn't working.) The design of the new probes SHOULD eliminate the false readings. First trip out with them this coming weekend.
                            Look forward to the report. How hard was the install? The sensors on my tanks are not easy to access.
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Look forward to the report. How hard was the install? The sensors on my tanks are not easy to access.
                              Not hard at all, just working in tight, small spaces was the difficulty. (I did a short write up on the "other forum")
                              Jim (& Sharon)
                              2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                              2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                              The toys:
                              2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                              2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Working...
                              X