Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 2600RB Fresh Water Tank use

Hi.

Planning to use my fresh water tank (52 gal) this weekend for the first time at a campground where the sites have no water hook-up. I think I know the process but I'd feel better if someone with experience could review it and confirm. I plan to fill the tank at the campground via the water source they provide for this situation (it's a pressurized source).

- Open the bathroom sink faucets (to allow air pockets to be forced out of the hot water heater - I saw this noted in the trailer owners manual)
    - Turn the blue lever on the docking station to 'fresh tank fill'
    - Connect a hose to the water source and shove the other end down the gravity fill inlet
    - Fill the tank (Big question here is how do I know when to stop?). I've read that it's important not to pressurize the fresh water tank.
    -----Do I just immediately turn off the water once I see it's coming out of the over flow tubes underneath the trailer?
    -----Is it better to use a flow meter?
    -----Trust the tank sensor indication on my control panel?...I've read many negative comments to this method.
    - Once tank is filled, turn on the water pump and I'm ready to go

I understand that I could also fill the fresh water tank via the port on my docking station (the connection I would use if I did have water directly at my campsite). Is the process above the same if I did it this way?

Thanks for your help.

Ken.

Ken
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2022 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6l Gas

Fill until the indicator light says full, from the Manual.

The rest sounds good, move lever to dry camping.

Enjoy the trip!

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by kd2600RB View Post
      Hi.

Planning to use my fresh water tank (52 gal) this weekend for the first time at a campground where the sites have no water hook-up. I think I know the process but I'd feel better if someone with experience could review it and confirm. I plan to fill the tank at the campground via the water source they provide for this situation (it's a pressurized source).

- Open the bathroom sink faucets (to allow air pockets to be forced out of the hot water heater - I saw this noted in the trailer owners manual)
      - Turn the blue lever on the docking station to 'fresh tank fill'
      - Connect a hose to the water source and shove the other end down the gravity fill inlet
      - Fill the tank (Big question here is how do I know when to stop?). I've read that it's important not to pressurize the fresh water tank.
      -----Do I just immediately turn off the water once I see it's coming out of the over flow tubes underneath the trailer?
      -----Is it better to use a flow meter?
      -----Trust the tank sensor indication on my control panel?...I've read many negative comments to this method.
      - Once tank is filled, turn on the water pump and I'm ready to go

I understand that I could also fill the fresh water tank via the port on my docking station (the connection I would use if I did have water directly at my campsite). Is the process above the same if I did it this way?

Thanks for your help.

Ken.
      Ken unless you sanitize the hose end do not shove it down the the gravity fill port - That is a quick way to get sick. Have you sanitized your system yet, You need to do this before you trip. I also trust my home water before a camp ground. It's OK to carry water in the tank during travel.. Also fill slowly. This will help to prevent any pressure issues. When you see water coming out the overflow you need to stop. The use the pump to fill the HW heater, then top off the tank. Better yet start out on the city water settings using the hose and fill the HW heater and you can use the pressure fill to fill the tank too, but everything should be sanitized first before your trip.

As I am in the SW and water can sometimes be hard to find, I travel with a mostly full water tank and have the HW heater full. Better safe than not having water if things go wrong.

Just food for thought
      Safe travels
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Agree with Yoda. Fill the lines and water heater on city water before you leave. If you don't want to tow with full tanks, put 15 gallons or so in the fresh tank. Once you get to your destination, fill it the rest of the way up. Once you see it overflow, stop filling. You won't pressurize the tank using the gravity fill. It's a vented fill. Look closely and you can see some small vent holes next to the filler hole on the gravity fill. The overflow will also prevent you from pressurizing the tank.
        2022 Imagine 2600RB
        2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

Thanks for the input. The trip went well using the gravity fill. One concern I had during the trip was whether I'd damage the hot water heater if I emptied the fresh water tank during our stay. Most people tell me I cannot trust the tank level indicators on my control panel so I got concerned about what would happen if I emptied the fresh water tank. I did end up adding water via a 5 gallon bucket just to make sure I wasn;t empty. I 'm probably just being over cautious. Any comments from anyone with experience?

Thx!
          Ken
          2022 Imagine 2600RB
          2022 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6l Gas

Comment

kd2600RB The water pump is "before" the water heater, so it is not possible to run the water heater out of water. Once the tank is below the water pickup the pump starts sputtering and water pretty much stops flowing. At this point you will still have water in your water heater and should be fine. I have run my tank dry many times with no issue.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I have used a flow meter on my water inlet on my TT. I recently filled the fresh water tank at a State Park, and it was quite accurate. I metered 11 gal of water into the fresh water tank before leaving. When Filling at the campground and was within about 5 gal of the 62 gal full point, (I didn’t reset the flow meter) I stationed myself at the water shutoff as I could see the overflow hose from there and turned it off at the first sign of water. I am familiar with the State Park and knew they had good water, Maumee Bay State Park near Toledo, OH. I’ve posted a link below to the meter. Battery powered and easy to reset before each use.
              I was in Texas for a month on a full hookup and used it more to ensure I didn’t overfill the gray tanks, I would dump when the black tank Was 2/3 full. As we know, the level indicators are garbage. (I wouldn’t call them sensors, that’s too generous) On the recent trip, the fresh water tank said it was 1/3 full and we still had two days of showers, etc that we took and I still dumped about 15 gal of water when I got home.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XSNPMBS...QVBJH89D73G0VC

Tim

Tim & Beth
              2022 Transcend Xplor 265BH
              2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 3.5L Ecoboost w/ Max Tow Pkg

Comment

You can’t run the hot water tank dry. Water will only flow from the hot water tank if there’s water pressure from the city connection or from the onboard pump. No pressure in - no pressure out. And draining the water tank will not drain the water heater.
                2022 3100RD
                2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
                Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Working...
                X