Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water pumps and PSI

Hello friends!

As a relatively new GD owner and rookie full timer I am finding that our water pump is very loud... I have perused the internet/youtube and I have some ideas but since I have to get into the belly of beast I thought I may upgrade water pump for more pressure. In any case, I guess my question is any suggestions on a good pump or more specifically one I should avoid due to high pressure.

Thanks,
    Todd

edit: Specifically this is the one I am looking at:
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004RCSL...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Last edited by bsonposh; 07-17-2022, 06:54 AM.
    Todd & Steph
    2022 Momentum 395MS-R
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Diesel

Hi Todd,

There are several discussions on water pumps and related plumbing. This is just one with some links that you may want to follow. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-at-water-pump.

Pump noise is a function of how firmly the pump is mounted and plumbed to the RV. Vibration isolation feet for the pump and soft hoses in and out will go a long way towards limiting the noise. An accumulator tank (described in the link above) will allow the pump to come on less frequently, but it will run for longer (which is good for the pump) as it refills the accumulator tank.

You mention that you are looking for more water pressure . . . but I think you are looking for more water volume. All these pumps run at a nominal 40 - 50 psi.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

You started off saying your pump is very loud. I have a comment about pump noise since there are cases where pump noise is actually coming from plumbing vibration. If that’s the source, a new pump might not be the solution, in fact a stronger pump might actually make the noise worse. Try to rule out vibration noise first. Run the pump while touching/grasping tubing on and around the outlet side of the pump. Try moving the tubing. Does the noise stop or diminish? While doing this, does the noise source seem to be coming from somewhere other than the pump? All clauses to tracking down the real source.

That said, I have found a good cure for quieting pump caused pulsation in the plumbing system: install a water hammer snubber. This is a short copper tube with an air chamber typically used on washers, ice makers and toilets to snub the shock in the supply line when the water valve in these devices snap closed. The type snubber you will need for this fix incorporates an internal piston to maintain an air cushion inside the snubber tube. Install the snubber on the pump outlet using a brass tee and short nipple to match your piping. I’ve used this setup on three trailers effectively (but our new GD rig is already very quiet). Good luck.
      2022 3100RD
      2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
      Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Hi Todd,

There are several discussions on water pumps and related plumbing. This is just one with some links that you may want to follow. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-at-water-pump.

Pump noise is a function of how firmly the pump is mounted and plumbed to the RV. Vibration isolation feet for the pump and soft hoses in and out will go a long way towards limiting the noise. An accumulator tank (described in the link above) will allow the pump to come on less frequently, but it will run for longer (which is good for the pump) as it refills the accumulator tank.

You mention that you are looking for more water pressure . . . but I think you are looking for more water volume. All these pumps run at a nominal 40 - 50 psi.

Rob
        Yes... water volume... I want a shower that doesn't feel like I am being tortured by a slow drip
        Todd & Steph
        2022 Momentum 395MS-R

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit View Post
          You started off saying your pump is very loud. I have a comment about pump noise since there are cases where pump noise is actually coming from plumbing vibration. If that’s the source, a new pump might not be the solution, in fact a stronger pump might actually make the noise worse. Try to rule out vibration noise first. Run the pump while touching/grasping tubing on and around the outlet side of the pump. Try moving the tubing. Does the noise stop or diminish? While doing this, does the noise source seem to be coming from somewhere other than the pump? All clauses to tracking down the real source.
          I will work on this but its hard... I am a big guy and its a small space My plan is to build everything (pump, accumulator and mounts) outside of the RV on a board and just mount that.

Todd & Steph
          2022 Momentum 395MS-R

Comment

Originally posted by bsonposh View Post

I will work on this but its hard... I am a big guy and its a small space My plan is to build everything (pump, accumulator and mounts) outside of the RV on a board and just mount that.
            Hi Todd,

This is a good plan . . . something that I did on my boat but "forgot" to do on the RV. Use plug-in disconnects on both water and electrical and you can pull the whole system with minimal tools, for future service or diagnostics. Please take pictures of this project . . . others will be interested.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Yes... water volume... I want a shower that doesn't feel like I am being tortured by a slow drip
              You might try an Oxygenics shower head. It produces a decent impactful shower spray regardless of low pressure ( within reason of course).
              2022 3100RD
              2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
              Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit View Post

You might try an Oxygenics shower head. It produces a decent impactful shower spray regardless of low pressure ( within reason of course).
                I have considered this but I have hesitated because of the all in one shower thing we have... it fancy black one . That said.. its on the list of things to adjust.
                Todd & Steph
                2022 Momentum 395MS-R

Comment

Hi Todd & Steph

As you will find in many threads on plumbing issues . . . I am a strong proponent of installing a pressure gauge within the RV plumbing system. Tee it into any cold water line . . .it could be part of your new pump installation. This gauge will tell you what is going on with your shower water flow. If the pressure drops dramatically when the shower is turned on, you need more pump volume or more restriction in the shower head. If the pressure holds, you can open up up the restrictor in the shower head to allow more flow.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    Hi Todd & Steph

As you will find in many threads on plumbing issues . . . I am a strong proponent of installing a pressure gauge within the RV plumbing system. Tee it into any cold water line . . .it could be part of your new pump installation. This gauge will tell you what is going on with your shower water flow. If the pressure drops dramatically when the shower is turned on, you need more pump volume or more restriction in the shower head. If the pressure holds, you can open up up the restrictor in the shower head to allow more flow.

Rob
                    Great timing.. I am literally researching a good pressure gauge now... I am hoping to find one that will connect via bluetooth or Wifi
                    Todd & Steph
                    2022 Momentum 395MS-R

Comment

Hello friends!

As a relatively new GD owner and rookie full timer I am finding that our water pump is very loud... I have perused the internet/youtube and I have some ideas but since I have to get into the belly of beast I thought I may upgrade water pump for more pressure. In any case, I guess my question is any suggestions on a good pump or more specifically one I should avoid due to high pressure.

Thanks,
                      Todd

edit: Specifically this is the one I am looking at:
                      https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004RCSL...v_ov_lig_dp_it
                      The pump you posted has an issue Positive shut-off at 75-85 psi Way too much pressure. As Howard mentioned you want 55 tops. Also at only 3.5 GPM it does not have much flow. Suggestion - look up you pump on the parts look up page and use the specifications as a base
                      Hope this helps.
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

The pump you posted has an issue Positive shut-off at 75-85 psi Way too much pressure. As Howard mentioned you want 55 tops. Also at only 3.5 GPM it does not have much flow. Suggestion - look up you pump on the parts look up page and use the specifications as a base
                        Hope this helps.
                        Thanks for your response. I was aware of the pressure and I plan to put a regulator between the pump and the RV but the GPM is a concern. I thought I linked the 5gpm one.
                        Todd & Steph
                        2022 Momentum 395MS-R

Comment

Thanks for your response. I was aware of the pressure and I plan to put a regulator between the pump and the RV but the GPM is a concern. I thought I linked the 5gpm one.
                          Just remember most pressure regulators reduce flow, some significantly.
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Just remember most pressure regulators reduce flow, some significantly.
                            Thank you. If you have any suggestions on good ones I am open to suggestions

p.s. I did check Remco's specs... they are 65psi (still a little high)
                            Todd & Steph
                            2022 Momentum 395MS-R

Comment

I have considered this but I have hesitated because of the all in one shower thing we have... it fancy black one . That said.. its on the list of things to adjust.
                              I had read about the merits of the Oxygenics shower head for years and finally installed one last year. I am amazed at the difference in performance over the cheap OEM hand shower. I have never measured the GPM of the Oxygenics but the perceived pressure is great.
                              2020 Reflection 273MK
                              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                              X