No announcement yet.

Black tank flush vacuum breaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good discussion! (What this forum is all about)

TedS I think the "above the toilet bowl rim" is an RVIA carryover from residential requirements where this would be the backflow overflow point . . . but, this does not apply to an RV toilet with a sealed ball valve. An RV toilet is not going to overflow the rim from an over-full tank, unless someone steps on the pedal. As an aside . . . I did try to pose this question to the Regulations Compliance guy at Grand Design (because I couldn't find anyone at RVIA to talk to) but didn't get very far. They don't seem inclined to question the RVIA regs.

Jlawles2 The brass valve with the built in check valve is an interesting find . . . but, the check valve seems to be on the wrong side, unless the vent seal is sufficient to prevent overflow from the tank ?

JCR GD I think you have found the best combination of quality parts at a reasonable price!

Rob

Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Superduty View Post
      One thing I remember is always use full water pressure. These valves do not like low pressure (leak).
      Somewhere in the literature for the OE valve is the note that it takes 8 psi (if I recall correctly) to close the vent. Pressure less than this will push water out the vent instead of closing the vent and flowing to the tank. The most common cause of this is leaving a hose connected to the black tank flush (probably one of the most frequent campground "misunderstandings") and when the sun heats the hose and expands the water inside, it flows out the vacuum breaker vent.

Rob

Cate & Rob
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob Rob, the way I see the valve I posted is the bottom connection would be the fresh water inlet. This valve opens and water exits the right connection. When water flow is stopped, the non threaded side can then open to allow air to enter and let the right side drain. In the event water gets pushed from the right side into the valve, since both checks open only in the direction of the right fitting, the water actually forces the checks to seal harder.

Unless I am seeing the water flow the wrong way. Most of the other ones I saw, the air check side was gravity closed thus low flow or back flow could exit the vent side.
        Last edited by Jlawles2; 08-30-2022, 09:12 PM.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2
          Hi Joseph,

In the drawing you posted (post 11) . . . both connections are male . . . (which confuses your description )

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob Sorry been a long day. Using the drawing as a reference, the bottom (AKA female with my eyes not communicating with the brain today) would be the inlet. Sorry for the confusion.

Going up to fix it now.
            Joseph
            Tow
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

You guys are confusing me now on where the check valve should be positioned. Check out pic of what is now the vacuum breaker position and where the check valve will be added to the brass valve.

Would this be the correct way to assemble brass valve and check valve for installation?
              Last edited by Beachcamper; 08-31-2022, 04:55 PM.
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
              Demco Recon

Comment

Vivian, note the arrow on both the black valve and the brass valve. These should be the flow direction.

As it appears the brass valve would be a direct replacement. As the picture of the brass valve is shown, the outlet is on the right instead of the left (just turn the valve over and it will match).
                Joseph
                Tow
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Beachcamper

The way the brass valve and check valve are assembled would be correct to replace the OE valve with water coming in at the bottom and going out to the black tank from the side. However . . . the brass valve appears to have pipe thread fittings with Teflon tape. This “might” seal to the OE lines but is not what the OE fittings are designed for and thread seal tape is definitely not required. The valve should have straight threads and a smooth end for the cone seal in the female fitting to seal against. If you are replacing the valve, you should also replace the soft cone seals in the hose fittings.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob @jlawless2 thank you for responding and warning about the cone seals. Will have some handy for the install.
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                    Demco Recon

Comment

Cate&Rob I agree that the requirement to be above the bowl rim doesn't make sense for the valved bowl outlet. Unless someone flushes into an already overfull tank and the vacuum break valve is below the level of the bowl. My belief is that the flood level in the rv black tank system should be the high outlet of the tank vent. Unattended tank flushing with the tank outlet valve closed has resulted in water and stuff overflowing out the vent while the flushing system is running. When the flusher is turned off, waste water will backflow out the vacuum break valve. That valve should therefore be above the tank vent outlet outside. That would also put the normally leaky valve outside not causing water damage.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

TedS
                        Hi Ted,

We have all likely heard of (or maybe seen?) a black tank flush left on and blowing out the roof vent. This would only happen if the roof vent was for the black tank only. With a roof vent stack connected to both black and grey tanks, overfilling the black tank with the flush connection would rise up the vent until it connected with a grey tank vent and then overfill that grey tank. The likely result being that the black tank contents would appear in the shower pan or kitchen sink.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

A reasonable conclusion would be the installation a check valve to the outlet of the vacuum break valve. Which some folks have done. That would prevent any backflow while allowing the inlet plumbing to drain.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Another thought... the vacuum break could also become a black tank "air" vent (depending on tubing routing) without a resting closed check valve on the discharge side of the vacuum break, allowing odors to escape.

Edit: NOT something you want.
                            Last edited by JCR GD; 09-01-2022, 08:44 AM.
                            Jim (& Sharon)
                            2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                            2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                            The toys:
                            2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                            2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

JCR GD venting the black tank out the vacuum break valve would release tank odors inside the trailer.
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                                JCR GD venting the black tank out the vacuum break valve would release tank odors inside the trailer.
                                Yes, a bad thing... I should have been more clear
                                Jim (& Sharon)
                                2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                                2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                                The toys:
                                2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                                2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Working...
                                X