Black tank flush vacuum breaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black tank flush vacuum breaker.

Finally after 4 months on the road, I have found a campground with good internet to catch up on RV YouTube videos, Changing Lanes had an issue with a water leak that stumped them. Finally figured it was the vacuum breaker. The coroplast had to be removed and insulation dried out. It was a chore, I got to thinking…should I replace my vacuum breaker with the brass one I have ready in case of such an emergency? Or just do the replacement when and if OEM one fails? Thinking this could be yet another project when I get back to Florida in October.

Here is Chad dealing with the problem:

https://youtu.be/08dJ9GK-1h4

Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Hi Vivian,
    If this was me, I would change it out. The ones that are on the our camper are junk. By the time you realize they are leaking, the mess is already there.
    This was one of the first things I did when we got out 5er home, before even using it. Pretty simple to do.
    Pull the facuet cover off in the shower, and take off the old, and replace with the new. (This is where mine was located, and your should be also)
    Just in case, shut the water off to the trailer. I think do to the room for my hands, I took the handl hot/cold lines off. These all are twist on fittings.

Steve
    Steve
    2018 Reflection 303
    2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
    Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Superduty did you replace with the same or did you use the same Watts brass one like the one I purchased? Yes, I have been in this area to check out how plumbing feeds the faucet and to look at the vacuum breaker location in years past. I am attaching a picture of where it is for anyone else who has a 303rls. It is behind the towel rack at faucets. Unscrew @ the corners and remove, obviously make sure to have silicone on hand to apply all around when done.

Were you brave enough to replace the soft hose while in there?

Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Demco Recon

Comment

Same "watts brass valve" that you have. The plastic ones that come on the trailers are just junk.

Soft hoses. I have not gotten that far, but I'm keeping an close eye on them until I do replace them. This is planned for this year after we were done camping for the season and ready to put the 5er up for the winter hibernation.
        Steve
        2018 Reflection 303
        Diesel, Star White.

Comment

I have replaced soft hoses feeding the water heater but the ones in the shower area are not going to be on my list. They connect behind the furnace a very difficult area to get into. Still working on courage to do the toilet feed from above the converter. Maybe the day the converter goes, I will go ahead and tackle that one as well.

Meanwhile, will take your advice and get the vacuum breaker replaced when back on my seasonal lot.
          Vivian
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          Demco Recon

Comment

Yea, the space to work on these rigs is not fun, especially in the basement area.
            I also dread doing this conversion, but water damage is no fun at all.
            Steve
            2018 Reflection 303
            Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Beachcamper Superduty
              Hi Vivian & Steve:

A caution on what you are doing here . . . the OE device is a vacuum breaker / check valve and the brass one is just a vacuum breaker. In "theory" the contents of the black tank could be pushed into the brass device and either out its vent holes or back to the intake connection. Either one will drip leak if fed with very low water pressure (like a hose left connected and turned off but laying in the sun). The location in the 303 is poor for a couple of reasons. One, is hard to get at and two, it is over the furnace which will get wet when it drips.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Tank Flush.jpeg
Views:	1538
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	93626 ​​​​​​​
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The Watts device does have a check valve to prevent backflow.

From Watts: Description

This 1/2 inch lead free anti-siphon vacuum breaker for hot or cold water prevents the reverse flow of polluted water from entering into the potable water supply due to backsiphonage. It consists of lead free construction, chemical resistant silicone seat disc, chrome hood, and an atmospheric vent to prevent spilling. It has a full size orifice to assure pipe size capacity and maximum flow. It is ideal for low flow, non-continuous hot or cold water health hazard applications such as on laboratory equipment.
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  Beachcamper Superduty
                  Hi Vivian & Steve:

A caution on what you are doing here . . . the OE device is a vacuum breaker / check valve and the brass one is just a vacuum breaker. In "theory" the contents of the black tank could be pushed into the brass device and either out its vent holes or back to the intake connection. Either one will drip leak if fed with very low water pressure (like a hose left connected and turned off but laying in the sun). The location in the 303 is poor for a couple of reasons. One, is hard to get at and two, it is over the furnace which will get wet when it drips.

Rob

Name:	Black Tank Flush.jpeg
Views:	1538
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	93626

Thanks for chiming in Rob. Well this is not a good scenario then for using the brass Watts. Guess I will leave what is there and order another OE type in case of a mal function down the road. Will also add another water alarm to this area by the furnace.

I would assume a leak would only occur if using the black tank flush? I never leave any hose other than city water to nautilus on and turn water off if I leave rig. However, that check valve scenario is a worry.

Vivian
                  2018 Reflection 303rls
                  Demco Recon

Comment

When I replaced mine I bought the brass vacuum breaker AND a inline check valve to go with it. Both available on Amazon.

Name:	Vac check.jpg
Views:	1329
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	93634Click image for larger version

Name:	vacuum.JPG
Views:	1292
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	93635
                    Last edited by JCR GD; 08-30-2022, 08:58 AM.
                    Jim (& Sharon)
                    2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                    2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                    The toys:
                    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                    2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Cate&Rob Superduty and Vivian,

Looking at the watts website and the specifications for https://www.watts.com/products/plumb...m-breakers/715 it does not show a spring to close the check valve.

Looking at https://www.watts.com/products/plumb...kers/710-febco it specifically calls it a backflow preventer. Again no spring.

Then I found this one https://www.watts.com/products/plumb...breakers/lf289 that has a spring which will prevent water from pushing through from the black tank side. Note it also has a nice vent seal to keep any water from pushing through the valve.

Name:	Backflow.PNG
Views:	1345
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	93633
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

It looks like the check valve is on the inlet to prevent backflow into the inlet. There is no check valve on the outlet, so any back flow will exit the air vent. But there should be no backflow when the valve is above the toilet rim.
                        Last edited by TedS; 08-30-2022, 09:35 AM.
                        Ted
                        2021 Reflection 310RLS
                        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                          The Watts device does have a check valve to prevent backflow.

From Watts: Description

This 1/2 inch lead free anti-siphon vacuum breaker for hot or cold water prevents the reverse flow of polluted water from entering into the potable water supply due to backsiphonage. It consists of lead free construction, chemical resistant silicone seat disc, chrome hood, and an atmospheric vent to prevent spilling. It has a full size orifice to assure pipe size capacity and maximum flow. It is ideal for low flow, non-continuous hot or cold water health hazard applications such as on laboratory equipment.
                          Rob,
                          Agree with what you mention between the two types of valves. Vivian, could add a check valve on the other side to prevent back up from the black tank as TedS I think mention.

One thing I remember is always use full water pressure. These valves do not like low pressure (leak).

Steve

Steve
                          2018 Reflection 303
                          Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Well dang! That vacuum breaker with check valve Joseph posted is pretty expensive! I do have a check valve and can add it as in pic posted by Jim. BTW I checked my old Amazon order for the brass one and I paid $28 back in 2019.
                            Vivian
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper it is described as being spill-resistant which would be a plus for inside installation that should not get wet.
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                              X