No announcement yet.

Black tank flush vacuum breaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have read some folks using a backflow preventer vs a check valve at the brass vacuum breaker. Their instructions also warn not to put any shutoffs downstream. Would a check valve be considered a shutoff? Sent an email to Watts to ask about using a check valve with their LF288A for RV use. Hopefully will hear back and post their reply.

The other option is going with the RecPro model which is made in the USA and has very good reviews. This would obviously be the simplest option for direct replacement. I just happen to have all the brass parts and the Watts on hand as it looks like a better built vacuum breaker. My concern is also the weight of the brass vs the plastic especially in the location it is in and all the added road bumps and vibrations it will be subjected to.

Also saw videos of just going without this piece and using a brass or plastic elbow and attaching a back flow preventer at water source. Lots of pros and cons of using this solution but it would eliminate any water leaks.
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Comment

Beachcamper I don't think in this application the check valve would be considered a shutoff since it allows flow in the proper direction and does not block the vacuum breaker forward flow.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

The "dilemma" on the Reflection 303 RLS is that to comply with the RVIA requirement of having the vacuum break above the rim of the toilet means putting it in a barely accessible location behind the shower wall and above the furnace where its "normal" potential to occasionally drip will get water on to the furnace and its less-than-waterproof control board . I have previously voiced my thoughts on the relevance of being above the rim of an RV toilet with a sealed flush valve.

Thus . . . if one were to decide to ignore the RVIA requirement of being above the toilet rim, the vacuum break and check valve could be in the plumbing basement where it is easily accessible and an occasional drip leak is not a big deal. The vacuum break would still be well above the black tank and can be slightly above the hose attachment. Just sayin' .

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The code describes only the minimum elevation above the flood rim and not a maximum. The vacuum break valve could be on the roof and satisfy the code.

In my Reflection, the vacuum break valve is under the bathroom sink.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I guess technically anything that prevents reverse flow of the water should be acceptable. Thus a check valve would work, but the vacuum breaker is there because it eliminates the possibility of the valve failing and allowing black water to enter the line.

This just my take on the whole valve thing, it's not a code interpretation.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
              In my Reflection, the vacuum break valve is under the bathroom sink.
              Under the bathroom sink would be an ideal spot for the vacuum break . . . unfortunately, this would be a complex hose/pipe routing in a 303RLS.

Rob

Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

JCR GD or Beachcamper -- could you (please) post links to the brass fittings you found on Amazon? (TIA!)
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  JCR GD or Beachcamper -- could you (please) post links to the brass fittings you found on Amazon? (TIA!)
                  Watts Water Technologies 1/2 LF288A Watts 288A Anti-Siphon Vacuum Breaker 1/2 In., Brass, Lead Free: Plumbing Equipment: Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Camco 23303 1/2" Back-Flow Preventer - Lead Free : Automotive

(Mods - please fix link if they show personal info. Not sure how the copy and paste of links works. Thanks)
                  Last edited by JCR GD; 09-06-2022, 08:49 AM.
                  Jim (& Sharon)
                  2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                  2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                  The toys:
                  2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                  2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    This is the brass vacuum breaker

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

the check valve and fitting

I am still waiting for watts to verify that adding a check valve or back flow preventer for this application is advised or not. I have all these parts in my kit from 2019. Went ahead and ordered a Rec Pro vacuum breaker as direct replacement of the OEM. I have water alarms in all places a leak could occur so I am ok with holding off on any repair until I need to. Mine is not leaking and black tank flush works for now.

Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

Watts has responded to my question on using an added check valve with their vacuum breaker posted above. They responded that It was not necessary to add one. I sent them the Rec Pro vacuum breaker specs and picture I wanted to replace with their brass one. However if I wanted to use one I could.

I asked about sewer smells if not using a check valve. He said “I would not worry about this if I were you.”
                      Last edited by Beachcamper; 09-06-2022, 01:22 PM.
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
                        (Mods - please fix link if they show personal info. Not sure how the copy and paste of links works. Thanks)
                        Hi Jim,

When you copy and paste an Amazon link, it strips out the personal info that you see and replaces this with the Amazon account info of the person opening the link.
                        Just FYI . . . I used to wonder about this too .

Rob

Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob Jim and Rob, the only issues I have ever had with copying the links from the browser address bar are make certain you use amazon.com vs smile.amazon.com to get the link. I use smile.amazon.com when placing orders as this is linked to a charity of my choice that Amazon will donate to. Found this a few years back, cost me nothing (I have compared prices).
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                          X