Frozen pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen pipes

Hello everyone, stumbled upon this site through Google. My wife and I live in Monument, CO and this is our first year living in a travel trailer. We have a 2023 Grand Design 2600RB and it is amazing. We just encountered our first very cold day/night and upon waking up the bathroom sink has no hot or cold water, the shower has no hot water and the kitchen sink has no hot water. We have a heated hose, the water hookup has heat wire plus insulated. If I open the drain plug on the water heater it dumps out hot water. Just trying to figure out why certain lines aren't getting any flow. Can anyone offer any insight please? Thank you.

You need skirting and insulation added to your low point drains to handle cold weather. Hitting the drains with a hair dryer might get your water flowing.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Thole View Post
      Hello everyone, stumbled upon this site through Google. My wife and I live in Monument, CO and this is our first year living in a travel trailer. We have a 2023 Grand Design 2600RB and it is amazing. We just encountered our first very cold day/night and upon waking up the bathroom sink has no hot or cold water, the shower has no hot water and the kitchen sink has no hot water. We have a heated hose, the water hookup has heat wire plus insulated. If I open the drain plug on the water heater it dumps out hot water. Just trying to figure out why certain lines aren't getting any flow. Can anyone offer any insight please? Thank you.
      Hi Thole--welcome to the forum. Most likely the low point drains that are exposed under the trailer have frozen. There's a full explanation and a possible remedy documented in this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...4-frozen-pipes

Please take a moment when you get a chance to read the Welcome Letter if you'd like to get the most from your time here on the forum: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Have you been running the furnace for heating? If not, some plumbing near the exterior may have frozen due to no circulation of warm interior air.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Not being familair with your RV, all I can offer is even with the heat tape and winter water supply hose I've had issues when it gets below freezing until I started doing a couple of things. My guess is the water heater still flowing water is just residual volume in the tank & RV water lines - but it's just a guess.

My water supply is a "frost free" type hose bib assembly which works very well with the water turned off, but with the water turned on and heat tape it would occasionally freeze - my solution was to wrap an inexpensive moving blanket from Harbor Freight around the assembly then slide a garbage bag over it for when it rained & to cut down on the wind effects and secure it with a simple bungee cord. (wanted quick access in case I need to turn the water off in a hurry)
          The other thing I've done is to run the heat tape section of water supply hose up into the bay where I hook the water up, connect it to an inline filter, then to the pressure reducing unit, short section of good quality water supply hose in a loop to the water connection point. I have supported the assembly in the bay with another bungee cord to alleviate putting any stress on the Nautilus unit and where the hose, cord, and cable tv line enter I have a rag pushed down into the entry point to stop any cold air drafts.

It's solved my issues, and hopefully it will help with yours?
          Chris
          2019 Solitude 3740BH
          2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax SRW

Comment

Working...
          X