Slim Rack system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slim Rack system

I am looking at downsizing from my 303rls and found GD has a new line of Reflections in the 26’ range. Fell in love with the 22RK floor plan, ccc and length of 26’ 11”. The big negative issue is the slide system in the only slide in the floor plan. It houses a refrigerator and theater seats which are heavy items. I looked at Lippert site and it’s a Slim Rack system. Looks like plastic with a very thin metal gear rack.

Has anyone heard anything about this system?
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

This is a "newer" system that Grand Design has started to use, last year, and most if not all other manufacturers have switched to. The reason for the switch is the Slim Rack is more forgiving in the squareness of the opening and the box.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      This is a "newer" system that Grand Design has started to use, last year, and most if not all other manufacturers have switched to. The reason for the switch is the Slim Rack is more forgiving in the squareness of the opening and the box.

Brian
      Country Campers I figured it had something to do with trying to get away from Schwintek system. Been doing some research and I will carry this to Tampa Show to verify if within tolerance on models I see and interested in. Might look at it and steer clear if it looks as flimsy as I see in LCI documents. Below is rated weight max for room stroke. Also, visual inspection tolerance.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5071.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.3 KB ID:	126822

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5072.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.0 KB ID:	126821

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5073.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.7 KB ID:	126823

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5074.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	126824
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Demco Recon

Comment

The Reflection 100 series has what they call 'lightweight' construction. I have not looked at a GD lightweight trailer, but in other brands I was not a fan. Go over how it is made as best you can.
        A friend of ours with a lightweight Jayco would not buy one again.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Beachcamper

Interesting chart. The room stroke will be easy to measure and is (obviously) a significant factor. Long stroke combined with a kitchen slide might be a concern.

The room weight will, at best, be a guestimate on your part, right? Do you have a plan on how to come up with that guestimate? (Just curious how you'll approach that issue.)

I haven't done much research on the slim rack -- is there a manual, mechanical override to open or close? The lack of a mechanical override on the Schwintek is one of it's most glaring faults IMHO. (I realize it has the electrical, controller-based override.)

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson what I like about the motor disengagement procedure of the slim rack vs schwintek is the screw that holds the motor to base is under the motor. You don’t have to have slide out in a position to access from the outside. Otherwise same as schwintek.

https://youtu.be/yKW0vCpi5RQ?si=f8YchrjeqcVjWD_-

To figure weight if serious about buying something with a slim rack can estimate based on weight of appliance or seating. That would be very difficult to do if looking at one housing cabinets with dinette.
            Last edited by Beachcamper; 01-10-2024, 09:30 AM.
            Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
              The Reflection 100 series has what they call 'lightweight' construction. I have not looked at a GD lightweight trailer, but in other brands I was not a fan. Go over how it is made as best you can.
              A friend of ours with a lightweight Jayco would not buy one again.
              I do plan to, just in research stage. From what I can see it’s the same as the construction of the 150 series but shorter sizes so they have their own line. I just would like to stay with GD for customer support. What’s interesting is the ccc is 3000 lbs! Other than buying an Outddors RV or Northwoods, all these Indiana manufacturers are pretty much same. The Rockwood mini lite is also in the mix of short trailers to look at. Need to be 25’ or less on a travel trailer and 27’or less on fifth wheel for next 3 years of trip plans. We will be done with our US and main Canada destinations this summer. So can go to something smaller to get into places we want to explore further.
              Last edited by Beachcamper; 01-10-2024, 09:39 AM.
              Vivian
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Demco Recon

Comment

Is the slim rack system designed to support any of the weight of the slide room?

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis2313 View Post
                  Is the slim rack system designed to support any of the weight of the slide room?
                  An (educated) opinion -- unlikely. The Slim Rack is (as far as I can tell) similar to the Schwintek in design. The weight of a room in a Schwintek system is carried by rollers (or a slide bar).

Lippert has a technical course on the Slim Rack that will probably answer that question definitively.

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                  2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis2313 View Post
                    As howson mentions it is similar to schwinteck as to the rollers carrying weight with rails guiding system. The tolerances are much more for slim rack allowing for less errors by manufacturers.

Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240207_101612_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	128233 https://support.lci1.com/slide-outs-support-slimrack

Specifications in this sheet from Lippert.
                      Last edited by TedS; 02-07-2024, 12:17 PM.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Not sure about a previous post: we had a "super slide" system an different SOB. I thought it was great! We went to the factory service center and the slide wasn't even on our list. The tech picked up on the first morning that the plate were mounted wrong. I thought that they were ok.
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                        X