Weep Holes in Slide Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weep Holes in Slide Out

New to site and still trying to figure out how to use it so I hope I am posting in the right spot? Anyway, my name is Burt and my wife Pat and I recently purchase an Imagine 22mle which we were able to spend a few rainfilled days camping in it. Everything went great with no glairing problems. However, one thing I noticed is that with the slide out retracted I noticed I could see light coming in at the each end of the slide out. I got underneath and could see what appeared to be about dime size holes. I figure these to be weep holes in case water gets past the slide seals. I am concerned though that this may allow access to little critters looking for a home for the winter. I am considering blocking the holes somehow but am worried that they need to be open in case of water infiltration. I wonder if any other owners have faced this issue and have critters gotten in thru the holes if left open. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.
    Burt & Pat. '21 Imagine XLS 22MLE, '20 F150 3.5 EB Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

I do not believe that blocking the holes will hurt anything , as long as the slide seals are able to move freely and do there job. I also think these are not weep holes , it is just a bugger to get all the corners to match and connect neatly when dealing with the seals of different shapes and geometry.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by trubkrob View Post
      New to site and still trying to figure out how to use it so I hope I am posting in the right spot? Anyway, my name is Burt and my wife Pat and I recently purchase an Imagine 22mle which we were able to spend a few rainfilled days camping in it. Everything went great with no glairing problems. However, one thing I noticed is that with the slide out retracted I noticed I could see light coming in at the each end of the slide out. I got underneath and could see what appeared to be about dime size holes. I figure these to be weep holes in case water gets past the slide seals. I am concerned though that this may allow access to little critters looking for a home for the winter. I am considering blocking the holes somehow but am worried that they need to be open in case of water infiltration. I wonder if any other owners have faced this issue and have critters gotten in thru the holes if left open. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreaciated.
      Hi Burt,
      The Slide Out channel may be a better place for this question, but no worries on where the question is posted. It's easy enough for a moderator to move the question.

There are a number of entry points for critters in our trailers. The slideout is just one. I bet if you open the sink cabinet doors and follow the drain pipe down through the floor you'll find a gaping hole in the floor. At least that was true in my 315RLTS. I found similar holes where electrical, plumbing, and heat ducts transition from under the trailer into the living area.

There's also large holes where the spare tire ratchet arm extends out of the trailer (if that's how yours is equipped). A perfect hole for critters to enter and create a nest between the coroplast and bottom of the floor.

Long story short: find and fix as you go. Some holes are best filled with expanding foam and some with rubber seals. If critters are a problem consider moth balls, peppermint, or any other number of strategies. (Do a search here or using google and you'll find a LOT of information on this topic!)

For forum use, please check out the Welcome Letter when you get a chance! https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...mbers-feedback

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Your post is now in the Slide Outs channel.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

It's hard to explain, and I should have gotten photos when I checked mine, but from the outside of the slide, where you saw the drain holes there should the bottom wiper seal. On my unit, that seal got flipped back, ie curled in towards the trailer and then I could see the drain holes. Flipping that seal out covered the drain ports better. I don't think you want to fully block those though, but I did read once about someone stuffing copper wool in there. Remember steel wool will rust, so I think that's why they went with copper.
          2019 Imagine 2400BH
          2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Bart - pick up some stainless steel steel wool (or copper) - sold as scrubby at wally world and other fine stores. Cut to the size needed and it will still allow water drainage, but block critters
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
            X