Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1600 miles and stranded from home

Hi
    we purchased a new 2021 Solitude 310 and love everything about it well we started on a 7 week trip across country first trip this length as we both just retired. Well 2 weeks in to the trip we arrived at an RV park and tried to auto level and it errored out. After checking I saw the hydraulic fluid was empty. Can not see any leaks any where so I added 2 quarts of fluid and after it auto leveled I went to open the slides and my wife saw something and pointed it out that the front slide cylinder was leaking, some of the fluid outside the frame so I had her operate the slide and saw the fitting was leaking into the belly pan. I called customer service and was told they need pictures and for me to remove some of the belly pan to get pictures. Well to shorten this up I told her I could not do that and I found a Grand Design dealer 100 miles from the camp ground that would fix it. Now our issue is now is the dealer is getting no support from the parts department. They have emails them for 2 Days with no response and we are now paying for hotels and food over and above our trip I don’t know what to do. We have a repair ticket with grand but customer service said the dealer has to deal with parts what the hell. We are stranded and and grand design is in no hurry to help. Is there any one we can contact at Grand to help us ??
    Last edited by Pops29; 08-31-2022, 05:59 PM.

Pops. First things first. Welcome to the forum. We're a bunch of owners helping each other with technical solutions when possible.

I will tell you that your break-down could not come at a worse time. This week is the Grand Design National Rally in Elkhart Indiana. Nearly every employee from the factory, parts department, customer service, etc. are at the fairgrounds helping with this annual event.

There are three ways to contact GDRV. I'd suggest you keep trying all three.

1. Customer Service Phone Number: 574-825-9679
    2. Email: customerservice@granddesignrv.com
    3. Customer Support Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/GDRVServiceSupport/

Once you get ahold of someone, let them know the predicament about getting the parts shipped to your dealership. Make sure you have your VIN and the repair ticket number handy if and when you do get a response.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Pops29 View Post
      Hi
      we purchased a new 2021 Solitude 310 and love everything about it well we started on a 7 week trip across country first trip this length as we both just retired. Well 2 weeks in to the trip we arrived at an RV park and tried to auto level and it errored out. After checking I saw the hydraulic fluid was empty. Can not see any leaks any where so I added 2 quarts of fluid and after it auto leveled I went to open the slides and my wife saw something and pointed it out that the front slide cylinder was leaking, some of the fluid outside the frame so I had her operate the slide and saw the fitting was leaking into the belly pan. I called customer service and was told they need pictures and for me to remove some of the belly pan to get pictures. Well to shorten this up I told her I could not do that and I found a Grand Design dealer 100 miles from the camp ground that would fix it. Now our issue is now is the dealer is getting no support from the parts department. They have emails them for 2 Days with no response and we are now paying for hotels and food over and above our trip I don’t know what to do. We have a repair ticket with grand but customer service said the dealer has to deal with parts what the hell. We are stranded and and grand design is in no hurry to help. Is there any one we can contact at Grand to help us ??

What parts are they needing. If it is a new hose or fittings any good hydraulic shop can set you up. Check NAPA and any heavy equipment or AGG equipment dealers. Also contact customer service and double check that the dealer actually contacted them for parts. BTW - Did you or they try to tighten the fitting - most compression fittings that I have had leak on my hay equipment, just need a bit of tightening. If it is an o-ring fitting try replacing the o-ring as that is the common failure point.
      Hope this helps
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

In addition to Tucson Jim’s advice . . . when you get in touch with Grand Design, make sure to ask whether the dealer has ordered the parts. Since this should be covered by warranty, Grand Design should have record of parts ordered against your case number and/or your VIN.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply. I will let the RV Dealer know. From what I was told there is an assembly drawing for the unit but no part number showing for the cylinder and that is what they need.

Comment

Grand Design has stepped up and said they will cover under the warranty even after it expired about 3 months ago

Comment

The threads on the head was stripped out. There is a s an interference issue where the fitting is hitting the frame

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4D5D3847-3D74-402B-9C26-E3684D0E3EC0.png
Views:	542
Size:	510.6 KB
ID:	93756
                Is the Grand Design Parts Lookup any help in finding what you need?
                This page is just a guess . . .

Rob

Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Wow. Thanks. I will send this to the dealer. Thanks

Comment

The threads on the head was stripped out. There is a s an interference issue where the fitting is hitting the frame
                    A good mechanic shop should be able to cut new threads in the cylinder for the next size up fitting if all else fails. And hydraulic fittings come in all sizes too for fitment issues like your having. Just trying to put out options. Hopefully GD can rapidly ship what you need. Hoping for the best - no fun being stranded.

Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yes. You are right. I owend an machine and fab shop before I retired. It’s tough knowing I could repair that myself simply.

Comment

Wow. Thanks. I will send this to the dealer. Thanks
                        Find the original drawing on the Grand Design website for a better resolution copy.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Just a small add, it is important to check the fluid level with all slides in and all jacks up.

Hope you get this repaired and on you way, if I was close by I would certainly try to help.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Good morning All

i wanted to give you an update. We are back on the road again, I had to go around Grand Design, I went to a local hydraulic shop and schedule them to do a quick repair for me. I asked the dealer to remove the cylinder and I would have it repaired and have them reinstall it for me. When they started to remove the cylinder they noticed on that cylinder the rear retainer nut was never installed and the cylinder was free floating so when we closed the slides the only thing that was holding the cylinder in place was the fitting hitting the frame which caused the fitting to strip the threads. I paid for all the repairs but now I will have to battle Grand Design or my extended warranty to cove the costs, but we are on to see the country. I want to thank everyone for your help

Comment

Good morning All

i wanted to give you an update. We are back on the road again, I had to go around Grand Design, I went to a local hydraulic shop and schedule them to do a quick repair for me. I asked the dealer to remove the cylinder and I would have it repaired and have them reinstall it for me. When they started to remove the cylinder they noticed on that cylinder the rear retainer nut was never installed and the cylinder was free floating so when we closed the slides the only thing that was holding the cylinder in place was the fitting hitting the frame which caused the fitting to strip the threads. I paid for all the repairs but now I will have to battle Grand Design or my extended warranty to cove the costs, but we are on to see the country. I want to thank everyone for your help
                              Great news - Safe travels
                              Keith

Comment

Working...
                              X