Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 221RB Through Frame Slide out stuck out. Motor runs...no engagement from gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 221RB Through Frame Slide out stuck out. Motor runs...no engagement from gear

Probably used the slide out less than 25 times total in the first year (probably less) we've only had a chance to use it camping 5 times, other uses have been at home or in storage. Got home, cleaned it up, went to put in the slide to take to storage....motor runs, no movement of the room. Tried using the manual override, same issue, it spins, no movement. Looking at the service manual, it looks similar to the units used on hosptial beds and seat mechanisms for power chairs only longer. These I'm familiar with and have repaired several, My first thought is the gear in the motor housing isn't engaging. Either the gear is spinning due to not locked to motor shaft or it broke. Could just be slipping or a mess of cheap plastic gearing (hope its not plastic).

In any event, I go under the trailer and first thing is the giant cardboard panel covering the entire undercarriage. Being a new trailer and of course just a few months out of warranty on that part, I'm reluctant to just start cutting cardboard and the thought of having someone come out on a service call if I can avoid it is terrifying as after I bought it last year my job ended unexpectedly and even though now re-employed, its going to take another year to climb out of that hole. I'm fairly mechanical but I don't like tearing into something without first asking others who've been there for advice.

So, anyone have a similar issue? And how to do you access the motor/actuator without totally messing up the cardboard underside protector?

JudgeLKR

Another first poster today--welcome! Check out the Welcome Letter when you get a chance. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

The slideout on your Transcend is what Lippert (LCI) calls a Through Frame slide. There is detailed technical information here on that slide: https://support.lci1.com/through-frame-selections/ Select either the 2x2 or 2x3 Electric Slide System option from the linked page.

If you'd really like to get detailed information, there's a free online course you can take here: https://lippert.thinkific.com/course...rame-slide-out

For the "giant cardboard" that is what's called Coroplast. If you look around the edges there should be an obvious way to unbolt it from the trailer and lower it out of the way. The "fun" part is getting it back in position. Country Campers uses a process (with clamps?). He'll chime in here soon with more details.

Please report back what you find. Don't hesitate to call Lippert for help or even GD for parts. Even though you're out of warranty you never know...

LCI's support contact info here: https://support.lci1.com/contact

GD's number is on the home page of this forum, right side.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Dropping the rear portion of the coroplast would be much better than cutting holes into it, unless you are really good at taping up the holes. If you are not hearing a "clicking" sound when you operate the slide motor it may be that the clutch is broken or not engaging. If you do hear the "clicking" sound then the clutch is engaging but the shaft is not rotating. The motor is bolted to the end of the actuator shaft and the motor shaft has flats on it that engage the screw that moves the slide, I would guess the problem is in those connections being as the manual override does not work either. I would drop a portion of the coroplast and get a look at what is going on. It it also possible that the manual override has become disconnected for it not to work.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

If possible, have a couple of strong guys try pushing on the slide while you operate the switch. If the gear pack is no making contact, a little brute force may get it to the point it will catch.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

By chance have you looked under the camper to ensure the actuator tube is still attached to the slide? If the tube's connector nut were to have came loose the slide would extend but not retract.

You may want to review this thread as there is a lot of information on the actuator: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-only-clicking
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks for tips. I see the connectors for the coroplast. At first look, they seem to be a one time fitting but I know that can't be correct. The actuator housing attached to the stop can (if that is the housing) seems to be where it should be. I have a file open at GD, she sent me the service manual (sadly lacking in an exploded diagram of the whole thing) and I plan on calling their techs again tomorrow. I just got to believe there is a disconnect at the gear on the actuator shaft. The way the motor runs without any load, the way the manual bolt just turns (with some resistance) but doesn't seem to engage. If I can get my hands on the motor/gear housing plate and pull it off and take a look... oh well. Freeze is coming this week, really want to get it back to the covered storage yard I pay for. I'll reveiw all the links y'all have put up before I call them in the morning.

Comment

Spoke to GD again this morning, now that I have an idea of what everything is and where its at and how to get to it. He said it might be the shear pin has broken off. This would make sense (and is very similar to the old Simmons Hospital Bed motor/actuator system I've dealt with in the past). I asked him if the pin would be visible without taking the motor/gearbox off or having to open anything. He said, "no, it should be just right there". Theoretically (ha!) if this is it, it should be an easy fix. Assuming I can get to it, assuming its not got part of it jammed so bad I have to drill it out, assuming he's correct.........

Comment

Ok, so that's ugly. You can't just drop the coloplast. There is so much attached to it, running through it (drains, foam sealents, gas lines, stabilizing jacks, I'd ruin it just trying to get to the actuator. GD, have now decided that the whole unit (motor/gear box and actuator) should be replaced. If I can find a mobil tech, they'll comp me the parts (I'm very blessed). So now, the hunt for a tech that really can do the job, not just tell me he can. This is going to cost a lot. Hopefully they won't destroy the underside. A side note, I asked the service manager where I bought if from if they ever cut the coloplast. I overheard another tech say, "sometimes". So much for a like new coach.

Comment

I would tend to guess that the dealer or the mobile tech will cut the coroplast and just tape it back up. You could do this yourself so you will know that it is done to your standards. The slide actuator is fairly easy to replace or even just fix the roll pin if that is the problem, there is a need for proper adjustment also. If you do plan to cut it or even if the mobile tech cuts it be very careful as there may be plenty of wires and such that could be easily cut above the coroplast.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                  X