Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaf Spring Failure, the answer for me is 50,000 miles is too late.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf Spring Failure, the answer for me is 50,000 miles is too late.

I have been following Jim’s work on his suspension inspection, it caused me to think of replacing my springs this summer. I found out yesterday, I waited too long. For our camper and how we use it, the maximum time and mileage before spring failure is 7 years and 50,000 miles. The back leaf springs broke on both sides yesterday, in the middle of a holiday weekend. We couldn’t find a mobile tech or anyone that could help us late yesterday. We made it to a truck stop near El Paso, TX and spent the night there. One of the truck stop employees helped remove the broken springs. I spent the day calling and going to any place open that might have the right springs. We will spend another night at the truck stop, hopefully something will be open tomorrow that has the right springs.

One tire was ruined. The broken spring caused the axles to move, and the tire rubbed against the bar that connects the two gear drives on the curb-side slide out. I put the spare on and was able to drive very slowly to the truck stop. The spare is now badly worn on the side. Other than tearing a hole in the ch ​ loroplast, there was no other damage. The main part of the spring caught on the inside of the frame.

The scary part is on the driver’s side, the main part of the spring went to the outside of the frame and caught on the propane line. Other than bending it some, there appears to be no damage.

There have not been any major events that should have caused this failure. I think the left side failed first, the alignment of the suspension changed slightly and the right rear tire started to barely rub against the slide out bar. At one point we stopped, and there was a faint smell of “burning rubber”, but nothing was distinct when I walked around the truck and trailer, and everything visually seemed fine with the tires. Later I had to make a sharp U-turn. Shortly after that a car signaled us that something was wrong with the trailer. I was able to pull over into a rest area. The right rear tire was had no pressure. We tried calling for help, but got no response, or no positive response. I put on the spare. It is a little wider, and bolts in closer to the hub. When we drove It started smoking. We stopped, then crawled along the shoulder until we could get into a truck stop.

I hope there is a good end of the story tomorrow, it’s pretty discouraging right now.
    Dave

Click image for larger version  Name:	Right rear 1.jpg Views:	29 Size:	47.4 KB ID:	103256 right rear 1 Click image for larger version  Name:	Right rear 2.jpg Views:	28 Size:	58.3 KB ID:	103257 Right rear 2 Click image for larger version  Name:	left rear 2.jpg Views:	30 Size:	47.4 KB ID:	103258 Left rear 2 Click image for larger version  Name:	right rear tire.jpg Views:	28 Size:	39.1 KB ID:	103259 right rear tire Click image for larger version  Name:	when removed.jpg Views:	30 Size:	180.1 KB ID:	103260 the break
    Last edited by Country Campers; 01-16-2023, 06:32 AM. Reason: change font to Forum standard
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider

Dave27 -- hope it all works out. Please keep us informed.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Dave,

Sorry to learn about this. I am sure that we will all have further discussion about how much “preventative maintenance” those of us with older rigs need to be doing.

On the brighter side, the springs being the weak link and breaking may have saved you from worse problems. You are not looking for a welding shop to replace bent or broken hangers. And, hopefully you don’t need a new axle.

Keep us up to date on resolution and let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Dave, if it's a Dexter axle call them first thing. When I had a complete failure, they were more than helpful in resolving the issue. They may even be able to point you to a stocking dealer or overnight parts to you.

It's not next door, but

Odessa, Texas (Branch 100)
        13300 W. I-20 East
        Odessa, TX, 79765, United StatesPh: 800-333-1745​
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Wow. Glad you made it safe to someplace you could park. And while it really sux what happened, I think you are (relatively) lucky in what looks like not too much damage.
          Hopefully you just need to buy new springs and u-bolts.

*** I clicked "Like" on your post, not because I liked what happened to you, but liked that you posted up good pics on what can happen to springs on these things. ***

From one of those pics, it looks like you already removed a spring?
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Sorry to see your having this issue and its good you found a place to safely park. Today is MLK day so there may not be many options for parts and service. The best way to determine if the springs need replacement would have been an inspection in how they looked before they broke. A flat spring pack or inverted primary leaf would indicate its time to replace them.

Jim

Comment

Dave - So sorry to hear that. What size springs do you have on your 27RL? I had a heck of a time finding 2,600# springs for my rig. If you have 2,600# springs on your 27RL, I have two that I bought as spares. We could meet half way in Lordsburg NM and I could hand them off to you. Let me know.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

And another option is that Amazon is currently showing the 2,600 LCI springs for $81 each with one day delivery.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B083MN...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                  What size springs do you have on your 27RL? I had a heck of a time finding 2,600# springs for my rig.

Jim
                  How did you find out what rate springs are on your trailer?

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                    Scott. There's two places you can look. There is a label on the axle which gives the axle weight. There is also a placard on the driver's side of your 303 that lists the Gross Axle Weight Rating. The placard on the side of mine identifies that I have 5,200# GAWR. This is in agreement with the axle tag. Divide the GAWR by 2 and you'll get the spring rating. In my case, 5,200 pounds ÷ 2 = 2,600 pounds.

BTW - Several years ago, I met an owner while camping in Montana. Back then, the brakes on our rigs needed to be manually adjusted every few thousand miles. Since he didn't know how to do it, I offered to give him a lesson. When we crawled under his FW, I saw he had 5,200# axles on his rig, even though I had the same size unit with 6,000# axles. So I had him look at his GAWR placard on the side of the rig, and it said 6,000#. We called GDRV, and they realized they put the wrong size axles on the rig. This resulted in a recall for units produced around that time. So it's always a good practice to take a look at the axle tag and the rated GAWR to make sure they are in agreement.

Jim
                    Last edited by TucsonJim; 01-16-2023, 01:11 PM.
                    Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                      TucsonJim

I will take this question one step further, how do you know which length of spring to use? For example, when searching eTrailer for 1750# springs, which would be appropriate for my 3500# axles, I see the following:
                      • 4 leaf at 25-1/8"
                      • 4 leaf at 27"
                      • 3 leaf at 23-1/8"
                      Is it a matter of measuring the existing spring? However I have to assume that the eye to eye measurement would vary if the spring is under load or has been overloaded and flattened, but I could be wrong . Fortunately I am not in the market right now for new springs, but I have minimal experience in this domain, so I have lots to learn!
                      2019 Imagine 2400BH
                      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post

TucsonJim

I will take this question one step further, how do you know which length of spring to use? For example, when searching eTrailer for 1750# springs, which would be appropriate for my 3500# axles, I see the following:
                        • 4 leaf at 25-1/8"
                        • 4 leaf at 27"
                        • 3 leaf at 23-1/8"
                        Is it a matter of measuring the existing spring? However I have to assume that the eye to eye measurement would vary if the spring is under load or has been overloaded and flattened, but I could be wrong . Fortunately I am not in the market right now for new springs, but I have minimal experience in this domain, so I have lots to learn!
                        I had a tag on my Lippert springs with the actual part number on them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Label.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	103301
                        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                          Dave - So sorry to hear that. What size springs do you have on your 27RL? I had a heck of a time finding 2,600# springs for my rig. If you have 2,600# springs on your 27RL, I have two that I bought as spares. We could meet half way in Lordsburg NM and I could hand them off to you. Let me know.

Jim
                          Jim I appreciate your kind offer. I was able to secure springs this morning. We are putting it together now. I will write up the story, hopefully tonight.
                          thanks, Dave
                          2016 Reflection 27RL
                          2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                          B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Good deal Dave. Safe travels.

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Today was a good day. I called Grand Design and they gave me the Lippert part number. She didn’t have any suggestions of places to buy the springs other than telling me a dealer is about 25 miles away. I called Lippert and their customer service did a very helpful thing, he gave me the “industry standard” identification for the springs. Anyone in the spring business knows exactly what it means. He suggested I find a good trailer place, they will know how to get one. My axle is 4400 lbs, so each spring is 2200 lbs. The ID from the Grand Design parts looks up wasn’t helpful, nobody knows what it means, other that the axle is 4400. The Lippert Part number is useful when dealing with camper places, but no where else. The industry part number is 72-78. The center eye to center eye distance is 25 ¼”. I learned of a good trailer place yesterday, so I called them right when they opened. He didn’t have the 72-78, but had one with the exact same dimensions but for 2500 lbs. I didn’t mind getting a little beefier spring.

A young local mechanic helped me remove the broken ones, and install the new ones (ie he did most of the work). We puzzled over how to get the MORryde CRE3000 to snap into the proper position. He googled it and followed the directions, it worked. We got it all together and moved to a nearby campground. Tomorrow we head out for Tucson, AZ!

Thank you everyone for your support and suggestions and offers of assistance. I really appreciate this group.

A couple responses to some of the questions and comments. All the photos I posted were before removing the broken springs, they show the positions the springs moved into. I follow this forum closely, and try to pick up tips of how to avoid problems. One good example is having V clips welded into the hangers. I shared my experience so people can know the limits I reached with spring failure, and make up their own minds about what risk they may have as their mileage and age increases. I plan to replace the front springs this summer, with ones to match those I just installed.
                              All the best- Dave
                              Last edited by Country Campers; 01-17-2023, 06:29 AM. Reason: Change font to Forum standard
                              2016 Reflection 27RL
                              2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                              B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Working...
                              X