Question- Purpose for these wires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question- Purpose for these wires.

I’m a novice. Could someone tell me what these wires are for? It’s a 2023 17MKE
    Thanks
    JFaries
    2023 17MKE

Those are for your electric axles. They're new on the 2023 models. (kidding, I couldn't resist)

Hard to see exactly from the angle of your picture but pretty sure those are the 12v power for your trailer brakes.
    David and Deana
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
    2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Jfaries View Post
      I’m a novice. Could someone tell me what these wires are for? It’s a 2023 17MKE
      Thanks
      Probably for the ABS programmer. They starting to ship some of the rigs with an antilock brake system. Those wires are used during initial programming I believe.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

As mentioned either for the electric brakes or ABS. If you could post another picture from the other side showing more of the wires we could narrow it down for you.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yeah, what they said.
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2024 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas with faux Allison 10 speed. Nellie the Diva, wonder boxer

Comment

Vaguely in the picture it looks like 2 red wires and one set of white wires. The white wires should be the electric brakes and should come out of a hole on the axle up to the wire penetrating the lining. The red wires as mentioned are probably the ABS programming wires. If it's a single axle unit, then there are 2 ABS programming wires. For a dual axle unit, there should be 4. Are you seeing the same thing on both axles?
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yes I see the same set-up for both axles. I just wanted to make sure all was okay since they are not plugged into anything.
              Thanks for all your assistance
              JFaries
              2023 17MKE

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                As mentioned either for the electric brakes or ABS. If you could post another picture from the other side showing more of the wires we could narrow it down for you.

Brian
                Though I agree that’s what it looks like, I thought only Reflections and Solitudes were being equipped with those brakes.
                John & Kathy
                2014 Reflection 303RLS
                2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post

Though I agree that’s what it looks like, I thought only Reflections and Solitudes were being equipped with those brakes.
                  Looking at the latest pictures those are brake wires. I am not sure if GD is only installing ABS on certain models, anything is possible. You are right that they were/only installed on those 2.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank You-Much Appreciated
                    JFaries
                    2023 17MKE

Comment

Jfaries -- can you post a higher resolution version of those pictures? I have doubts, too, as to what those wires are based on Jkwilson and Country Campers posts.
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	234
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	106843Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	240
Size:	610.5 KB
ID:	106844

Sorry these are the only pics I have right now. Expanding them does not seem to help much.

​​
                        JFaries
                        2023 17MKE

Comment

While color is not usually consistent blue is normally electric brakes. And I thought those were plugs not the splices I see them to be now, so I think that's your brake feed coming from the front splicing to the brakes themselves and the through axle wires.

Neil Citro
                          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Jfaries -- definitely not the ABS test connections. As Neil stated (and others suspected) they are splices. From the limited perspective of my experience, they brake wires aren't normally zip-tied to the axle like shown in your pictures.

OPINION: Given the harsh environment under there while on the road consider a better arrangement to ensure they aren't damaged inadvertently.

Howard & Francine
                            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

After sending pictures to Grand Design and getting a request for additional pictures. This is their response:

These 2 red wires are magnets for your brakes and the black wire in your photo should be connected to this loop as well. Thank you for sending the additional photos. I have confirmed that these wires are properly connected.
                              JFaries
                              2023 17MKE

Comment

Working...
                              X