Spring Hanger Failure and Odd Suspension Set Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Hanger Failure and Odd Suspension Set Up

We just finished up the first GDRV rally of the year in Quartzsite Arizona. The weather was cold, wet, and extremely windy. But we still had a good time.

When the rally was over, I was chatting with one of the rally attendees when I saw another owner who was all hooked up and ready to leave. This thread covers two topics.

Topic 1 - Take a look at the suspension under this FW. It appears that the unit was lifted to get clearance to tow level with the truck. The original spring hangers were used as straps for a metal beam that was welded in place. Then, Correct Track hangers were welded to the metal beam. This was on a 2016 27RL. Have any of you ever seen this type of lift installed? One of the techs said he thought that GDRV may have tried this on some rigs for a short period of time to allow for the higher beds on trucks that were released about that time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	106914

Topic 2 - I casually walked over to the RV to show an owner how to check for broken hangers. WOW - the left rear inner hanger was completely fractured. So I checked the hangers on the passenger side. The rear hanger had completely broken loose and was flopping around. So I notified the GDRV tech and the two of us worked together to do a field repair and get the owner rolling. (That's me in the green jacket above). We repositioned the broken hangers and Scott welded them back in place.

The owner towed about 100 miles to her permanent location. She already has Dennis from Performance Trailer Braking lined up to beef up the hangers. It's so odd that there were 202 rigs at the rally, and that is the only rig that I inspected for suspension issues. I guess it was Karma.

Name:	Broken.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	106915
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

I doubt that this was a “factory modification” because GD would have had this done by the frame manufacturer and they would not have installed the first set of hangers. GD have had LCI install 2” square tube spacers between frame and hangers, but I doubt that they would go as far as what is shown in the pictures. Was this trailer being towed by a “lifted” truck?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Was this trailer being towed by a “lifted” truck?

Rob
      I don't remember looking at the truck, so I can't answer that question. I'll ask the owner for some details on the truck. But she told me "we bought it new that way".

Jim

Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I don't remember looking at the truck, so I can't answer that question. I'll ask the owner for some details on the truck. But she told me "we bought it new that way".

Jim
        Perhaps a dealer modification for deal that fell through? It would take a tall truck to tow a 6” lifted trailer level with normal box to overhang clearance and hitch setup.

Rob

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob - Brad just verified that this was an aftermarket install. Phew.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

The lift looks well done . . . although cross bracing might be a good idea with that much additional twisting leverage on the frame rail. The broken hanger was not caused by the added lift . . . it is the same fatigue break in the heat affected zone beside the hanger weld that we have seen on other trailers . . . usually with the long “Correct Track” LCI hangers. V Clip reinforcements inside the hangers have proven to prevent this type of break.

Rob
            Last edited by Cate&Rob; 03-01-2023, 07:55 AM.
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have seen a somewhat similar lift done to a Glendale Titanium trailer. Without the perfect track hangers.
              Worked well on that trailer.
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              2021 303RLS
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

This is the craziest setup I've ever seen. The Montana was outrageously lifted. Location was the Elkhart Campground just prior to last year's National Rally.

Name:	Crazy High.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	106947
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I will admit that I don’t get the “lifted truck” thing . . . although it seems to be popular. Exactly the wrong thing to do for improving vehicle dynamics and handling.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

That thing must have been a handful in wind or tighter corners....
                    Kind of like a gasser version of an rv.
                    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                    2021 303RLS
                    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

So I had a conversation with the owner tonight. Here's the latest. They bought the RV about a year ago from a dealership. Their truck is not lifted, but they had to adjust the hitch quite a bit to get it to tow level. I also chatted with GDRV, and they confirmed that this lift is an aftermarket modification. I can just imagine the forces those spring hangers were subjected to.

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                        So I had a conversation with the owner tonight. Here's the latest. They bought the RV about a year ago from a dealership. Their truck is not lifted, but they had to adjust the hitch quite a bit to get it to tow level. I also chatted with GDRV, and they confirmed that this lift is an aftermarket modification. I can just imagine the forces those spring hangers were subjected to.

Jim
                        So is that owner going to have the same failure again based on how the rig was modified? Can they return it to the OEM configuration by having a welder cut off all that add-on stuff?
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We looked at a used raised 303 at our local Grand Design dealer in 2018. The salesman did not tell us the 5th wheel had been modified until we arrived. That was the scariest thing I have ever seen. It looked like they had cut off the spring hangers and welded a 6 foot section of I beam to the existing frame then welded on the spring hangers and assembled the suspension. My wife who is 5'4" could not reach the first step to enter the 5th wheel due to the height. Despite the salesman assurances we left in a hurry. Pretty funny now that I think about it.
                          John & Cindy
                          2019 303 RLS
                          2018 F250

Comment

Originally posted by Johnww View Post
                            We looked at a used raised 303 at our local Grand Design dealer in 2018. The salesman did not tell us the 5th wheel had been modified until we arrived. That was the scariest thing I have ever seen. It looked like they had cut off the spring hangers and welded a 6 foot section of I beam to the existing frame then welded on the spring hangers and assembled the suspension. My wife who is 5'4" could not reach the first step to enter the 5th wheel due to the height. Despite the salesman assurances we left in a hurry. Pretty funny now that I think about it.
                            That sounds very similar to this set up John.

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

So is that owner going to have the same failure again based on how the rig was modified? Can they return it to the OEM configuration by having a welder cut off all that add-on stuff?
                              Howard - Dennis from Performance Trailer Braking was on site and saw the suspension. He's going to meet with her and install bracing between the beams, X-Factor braces between the hangers, and V-clips inside the hangers. I'm not sure what else they could do but remove the beam and bring the suspension back to stock.

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                              X