No announcement yet.

Spring Hanger Failure and Odd Suspension Set Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to Jim and Dennis for a rescue! Good timing.
    This highlights how important suspension knowledge is for RVers. We should probably all have the V-clips and X-Factor braces. Raising the RV without both is very bad design.
    The hangers are an obvious weak link.
    On a related topic, it seems that a decade ago Lippert should have been placing a mark on the wet bolts at the grease exit position to enable installation at 3 o'clock. If the moderators or Grand Design have a Lippert connection, they should ask for this simple but important change. It will greatly increase the correct installation of wet bolts.

Charles
    2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

FWTW
      Back around 2001 I bought a Thor Wanderer bunk house model - roughly 30' in length. Towed it with a 1995 7.3 diesel Ford F250. Did Ok for a few years, then I got an 03 F350 which set about 3" higher. Also noticed axle and spring damage. I had a spring/frame shop in Grand Junction Co sub frame it with 4x2 tubing welded to the original frame and axles upgraded to 6K. I think originals were 3.5 K. This raised the trailer over 6". I had to replace the two step entry steps to 3 and us a single step stool for entry. This set me up level with 7 to 8" of bed clearance. believe it or not the trailer towed better lifted than stock and I had no high wind issues. I think that was due to the stiffer suspension. Now back then an RV frame was heavy and solid, so no stress issues. I traded it in to down size, but sometimes I wish I had it back except the wood frame was failing and no headroom in the bedroom - was a 1/2 height model. It had a manual pull slide on ball bearings that was flawless (think of super heavy duty drawer slides bolted to cross frames).

Dealer made a killing on it selling it to a local outfitter for back country, off road use.

Nowadays I would not do that due to the light frames and thin webs, unless the original frame was fully boxed inside and out before the sub-framing. The frame above the sub frame in the first picture post #1 needs to have that done and hangers boxed and reinforced with plates.

Just my thoughts

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
      X