Dexter EZ-Flex replacement #013-144

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dexter EZ-Flex replacement #013-144

I got looking at my axle photographs and the bushing Kit I have and discovered the top bushing on my EZ flex suspension is different. I cannot find any referance to servicing this top bushing. I like how this suspension works, so I am mot thinking of replacing. Yep we will see how long that lasts.

Ref material
    https://www.dexteraxle.com/Dexter-E-Z-Flex
    https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...raw/EZFLEX.pdf
    https://www.dexteraxle.com/user_area...ctionSheet.pdf

In the above material pay attention to the condition of a new rubber isolater and the top bushing. I have not pulled my suspension apart, but I suspect I may have som wear as I never lubricated the serks - did not know they were there, until just before the Alaska trip.

E-Trailer carry's them and I have an email into them on what can be serviced. https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=013-144

Here are some photos of my current units - note the condition of the rubber isolater and center pivot bolt in the hanger, There is no hanger damage and I plan to install a x-factor cross member
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1201s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.5 KB ID:	107634 Curbside
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1229s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.0 KB ID:	107635 curb side cleaned up a bit - note rubber isolater wear

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1233s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.7 KB ID:	107636 Street side

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1235s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.0 KB ID:	107637 Note appearance of idolator cracking.

So thoughts - or should I just order a new set now and replace and then everything is new.?

Thanks Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Maybe call dexter customer service? Might be able to get replacement bushings from them direct.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
      Maybe call dexter customer service? Might be able to get replacement bushings from them direct.
      You read my mind - going to call my contact today..Etrailer responded last night about 8PM and will be calling me today. The rubber bushing is not serviceable, but a bonded unit..

Thanks Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

The rubber looks fine on your equalizer imo.
        2021 303RLS

Comment

Keith, what makes you think there is wear on the rubber bushing? Looking at it, there appears to be a molding line but I don't see any signs of failure like flaking or missing areas, overloading resulting in deformation beyond rebound, etc.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            Keith, what makes you think there is wear on the rubber bushing? Looking at it, there appears to be a molding line but I don't see any signs of failure like flaking or missing areas, overloading resulting in deformation beyond rebound, etc.
            Second picture in post #1 (curb side cleaned up) rubber biscuit appears to be separating on left side, and note wear at top left edge. Also in other pictures molded seam appears to be opening up. The other issue I suspect wear on the center mounting bushing - and it is different than the std bushing. I have not found any service kits for these. I wont know until I pull the units during my axle swap,

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	389
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	107691

Thanks

Keith

BTW I have sent pictures to Dexter and my axle source - Dexter Dealer. Hoping to hear back form them today.

Comment

The rubber to steel separation is not an issue around the perimeter. is not uncommon as the rubber flexes a bit around the perimeter causing the bond to "give up". I would not be surprised if the rubber is only bonded to 1 of the 2 arms. It almost appears that the rubber is pinned to the right side in the e-trailer picture.

Even on the e-trailer picture above I can see the molding lines (barely) and depending on lighting they can look seamless or like a 2 year old clay sculpture.

If you have bushing issues, that is a completely different ball of goo to deal with.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yowza!

Dexter came through. Even with my contact out of town he is having two new complete units sent to me - no charge! He did not specifically indicate if anything was wrong, just to replace withe the new axles and springs I have on order. Talk about customer service. It's amazing what can happen when you ask nicely for guidance and if folks can do anything to help.

Keith

Comment

excellent!
                  After this season I'll likely be removing my cre3000 equalizers for the ez flex IF they show any abnormal wear. Which for the cre pieces, means double checking the welds
                  2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                    excellent!
                    After this season I'll likely be removing my cre3000 equalizers for the ez flex IF they show any abnormal wear. Which for the cre pieces, means double checking the welds
                    I will fully document the condition when I pull the old ones. They have been run hard and put away wet so to speak

In my research Equa-Flex (yellow paint) has cracking problems and CRE 3000 has rubber bumper wear concerns but found nothing on the EZ-Flex except for the early 2011 biscuits blistering - since changed and no new reporting of issues with the rubber biscuit.. Road Armor(blue paint) seems OK but uses similar rubber compared to the Equa-Flex rubber bushings. There was one EZ-Flex breakage due to a reversed shackle impinging directly on the arm. They all work slightly differently too. BTW the SRE 4000 wont fit my unit as the center hanger is not big enough. Lots of good reading and information on why everyone is "Best" . Email from Dexter this afternoon seemed to show replacements were ordered today and should ship tomorrow.

It will give me a good feeling to have everything new under the rig when done.

Keith

Comment

Working...
                    X