Question about my Dexter axle build sheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobinICT View Post
    Yoda I did call Bear and their next up springs, 2200, were about $5 less than NT&E but the shipping cost killed that for me. As it turns out we have a local spring manufacture and their next up springs are 2250 at $44.55 plus tax so, I believe this is what I will go with. They also stock the brass bushings so other than the additional #500 per spring I think this is what I'm going with. Our trailer does have pretty decent storage and we do tend to load it up pretty good so, I'm thinking the additional spring weight should be the direction I should go. I do have Road Armor and one X Factor install between the shackles and all wet bolts.

Question before I start this, not in a hurry, too darn hot. Will I be OK with this replacement/upgrade?
    So to recap your going from 1750 springs on a 3500 Light tube axle (0.16 wall thickness) to 2250lb springs for 4500 lb capacity, but still a 3500 axle (1000lb increase in springs) Will it work? Provided the springs fit yes, but in about a year you will be back replacing the axles, especially If you load heavy it will be when, not if, you bend them. You will notice inside tread wear on the tires.. The trailer will ride stiffer. . Good news is you can go either 4400 lb axle or a std 6K unit and keep you wheel bolt pattern and reuse the springs when that happens.

That being said I went from 4400 lb Light Tube axles to 6 K 3.5" heavy wall (0,5") tube axles on my 220RK with 3000lb 6 leaf Dexter springs (original were 2200 4 leaf).. That's a 1600 lb increase. However I had my frame reinforced.. Still waiting for the test drive this week - need to torque the lug nuts first.

So I would say yes you will be OK, but keep a close eye on the frame and hangers for cracks. Keep in mind I am not an expert. The moderators here know a whole lot more then me. Hopefully the will chime in.
    Again just my 02 FWIW.

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

So to recap your going from 1750 springs on a 3500 Light tube axle (0.16 wall thickness) to 2250lb springs for 4500 lb capacity, but still a 3500 axle (1000lb increase in springs) Will it work? Provided the springs fit yes, but in about a year you will be back replacing the axles, especially If you load heavy it will be when, not if, you bend them. You will notice inside tread wear on the tires.. The trailer will ride stiffer. . Good news is you can go either 4400 lb axle or a std 6K unit and keep you wheel bolt pattern and reuse the springs when that happens.

That being said I went from 4400 lb Light Tube axles to 6 K 3.5" heavy wall (0,5") tube axles on my 220RK with 3000lb 6 leaf Dexter springs (original were 2200 4 leaf).. That's a 1600 lb increase. However I had my frame reinforced.. Still waiting for the test drive this week - need to torque the lug nuts first.

So I would say yes you will be OK, but keep a close eye on the frame and hangers for cracks. Keep in mind I am not an expert. The moderators here know a whole lot more then me. Hopefully the will chime in.
      Again just my 02 FWIW.

Keith
      Keith, I've been pondering your reply and it does make sense. So, another direction if I may ask. What if I abandon the spring replacement and go with the SumoSprings instead? It would be a more expensive direction but, do you think this would be a better solution?

Attached are my springs with the trailer on level ground and pretty much loaded. I think they may still have some life in them but as you can see, they are getting to the point of needing replacement. I think.

Attached Files
      Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
      TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Well, I replaced them. Will provide an update along with some findings in my SumoSprings thread.

Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
        TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Working...
        X