Blown tires, tpms, mud flaps and YouTube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown tires, tpms, mud flaps and YouTube

Just came home from a 4400 mile, three week trip to Oshkosh and Sturgis. Day one - three hours into the trip blew my back curb side tire on the Momentum. The conditions: wt. 15500, speed. 65 mph outside temperature 107f, location west of Las Cruces NM on I10. Tire RM170 Roadmaster engineered by Cooper Tire, size ST215/75R17.5 LRH. Cold psi 125. Age made 12/20. TPMS readings before moving in the am, all tires read 85 degrees cold and 125 psi, just before blow out sun side ( curb side) temp 110 and psi 146 and 148, street side temp 101 and psi 142 and 141. TPMS screamed at us and showed 0 psi.I stopped immediately on side of I 10 , had my two friends set up 3 orange cones on highway and I put on yellow vest and started getting tire up off ground. My friend got the spare down while I used the right rear stabilizer to rise trailer high enough to get bottle Jack under u bolts on axle. Bad tire off, spare on within a couple minutes due to me using Ryobi battery impact wrench! We were back on road in less than 20 minutes!

Now subject title explained- Blown Tire -obviously, TPMS - had I not had this I don’t know when I would have realized I had blown a tire, I heard nothing, felt nothing, and saw nothing, so big believer in this! Mud Flaps - had these on an old truck and put on trailer because the mud was being thrown up on the sewer connection and I thought maybe it would wreck the hook up, but now I believe it caught the tread as it came off and kept it from damaging my trailer! Oh, if I didn’t say, there was zero damage to the trailer, mud flaps, luck, I don’t know but I’ll take either way! YouTube- I had watched YouTubers do this dance many times, hoping I would never have to but they gave me the knowledge to do it quickly and safely! So I want to thank all those that have put out the information, recommend if you are going on a trip review some of these.

Jim

Jim and Cindy
    2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
    2021 320G

I have been thinking of putting mud flaps on my 240ML because the dump valves are right behind the wheels. Sounds like I should think faster.
    Snayte
    2023 Xplor 240ML
    2022 Ram 2500

Comment

I really like that mud flap idea.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Changing a tire on the shoulder of I10 is not something I would like to do. Glad you got it done quickly and safely.

Trailer shake every few seconds from transports going by?
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Yes it did
          Jim and Cindy
          2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
          2021 320G

Comment

My TPMS has saved us twice. Once on I35 south of Temple, TX and once on I40 going through Memphis. Not fun on the side of a freeway....every time a car/truck passes the whole trailer sways back and forth - and they do not slow down. Glad you, the family and trailer ore OK.
            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I also got to change a trailer tire (on I75 in the middle of Atlanta ). Luckily it was also curb side. The scariest part was getting the spare out from under the trailer with the 18 wheelers blasting past, a few feet away. The most frustrating part . . . several police cars slowed to see what I was doing. Not one thought it necessary to turn on their lights and stand by to give me a little space to get the tire changed. Thanks Atlanta Police !

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Dang, that sucks!
                Jim and Cindy
                2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
                2021 320G

Comment

Friend of mine lived in Atlanta for years. There are times of the day when the cops are not allowed on the Freeway because it creates too many problems and in creases traffic. Knowing that, I'm not surprised they did not stop.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
                    My TPMS has saved us twice. Once on I35 south of Temple, TX and once on I40 going through Memphis. Not fun on the side of a freeway....every time a car/truck passes the whole trailer sways back and forth - and they do not slow down. Glad you, the family and trailer ore OK.
                    Yes the TPMS is a godsend. Traveling in rural Iowa last month blew tire in the middle of nowhere. TPMS warning alerted us which prevented any body damage on the trailer itself. Since it was the second tire incident of this set we took advantage of Discount Tire in Rapid City and they installed 4 new Goodyears for us and had us on the road in less than an hour.
                    hopefully we are good for another 3-4 years.
                    Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
                    2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

Working...
                    X