Going with SumoSprings and not replacing leaf springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going with SumoSprings and not replacing leaf springs

After some thought and a LOT of feedback here I have decided rather than replacing my #1750 springs with #2000 springs I'm going to supplement or enhance the suspension with SumoSprings. www.superspringsinternational.com has a 15% discount through this month with code TRAILERBETTER

My factory springs are not completely flat but I believe they could use some help. Plus, this would be a much simpler install than replacing four springs and I believe these will be an overall decent upgrade. Below are poor photos of my trailer springs with an almost fully loaded trailer and it appears I do have some wiggle room or fairly good life left in in them. Just need to get them ordered and then wait for cooler weather. I park on a sloped driveway but I have a friend that has a level driveway where the install will take place. Plus, I get some help because he loves to wrench.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0452.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	118379 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00728.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	118380 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00729.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	118381
    Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
    TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

I have the Sumo springs and they do improve the ride and help with spring loading. A plus is if there is a spring issue or hanger break they will help with that somewhat.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hmm. Them is pretty flat springs!
      I know you aren't asking for an opinion........ but I'll give you one anyway. Lol
      I would still replace the springs...... and add the sumos.
      I've read enough threads about springs breaking after they have gone flat that I will replace mine when they look like yours. I'm thinking it's not that expensive? I'm also thinking diy when it comes to cost.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Rather than guessing at your spring arch . . . measure it. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-height-how-to. If loaded arch height is truly less than 1.5” . . . the springs should be replaced. Your spring eye bushings are probably long past worn out and need replacing anyway.

Sumo springs are a good addition and easy to install. One of the benefits seldom mentioned is the improvement in trailer stability when parked/camping.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I would start with replacing the springs and going from there. It's a pretty easy job actually. I've had mine all apart already on my new Reflection to add shocks. Once those are arched correctly.....enhance and stabilize.
          40-year Camping Enthusiast
          2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
          2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy You're correct, didn't want to hear that but, good advice. I'll do the spring arch check Cate&Rob posted and take it from there. Thank you for the post Cate&Rob The brass bushings have been in for two years with wet bolts and have been kept well greased. The problem I'm having is finding #1750 springs that are not made in China and are 25.25. Every place I go the available springs NOT made in China start at #2250 and from the other discussion going heavier will subject the trailer to more stresses than normal not to mention the thin walled axle I have. Another option would be to acquire one set of #2250 springs and have them on hand just in case and roll the dice I guess.
            TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

Originally posted by BobinICT View Post
              Scott'n'Wendy You're correct, didn't want to hear that but, good advice. I'll do the spring arch check Cate&Rob posted and take it from there. Thank you for the post Cate&Rob The brass bushings have been in for two years with wet bolts and have been kept well greased. The problem I'm having is finding #1750 springs that are not made in China and are 25.25. Every place I go the available springs NOT made in China start at #2250 and from the other discussion going heavier will subject the trailer to more stresses than normal not to mention the thin walled axle I have. Another option would be to acquire one set of #2250 springs and have them on hand just in case and roll the dice I guess.
              I applaud your quest to find US made things. It's a journey that I take seriously wiith every purchase I make.

Comment

I also applaud you for taking the effort to find US made things. Sometimes it's not possible in the time frame or things are just not made outside China any longer.

I have taken a bit of a different approach. I prefer NON CHINA made components with US, Canada, or Mexico being the first choices
                and down from there.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Is it possible that SumoSprings will take enough pressure off good springs to actually make them last longer without flattening? Also take some stress off the spring hangers? I have Timbrens on my truck and the SumoSprings seem to be the same concept.
                  2020 Reflection 273MK
                  2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                    Is it possible that SumoSprings will take enough pressure off good springs to actually make them last longer without flattening? Also take some stress off the spring hangers? I have Timbrens on my truck and the SumoSprings seem to be the same concept.
                    That is a very good point and quite frankly it seems a compromise will need to be made. So, that in mind, I have a commercial account at the local trailer supply store where I get a pretty good discount and they are a Dexter distributor among other products and the Dexter springs I had them bring out are clearly marked Dexter and China. Going with your thought I have decided if I'm going to go subpar on the springs, I might as well not pay retail prices. So, I'll go with what they have (#1750 Dexter) and supplement the subpar new springs with US made SumoSprings. At least the Chinese crapp will have a fighting chance with the addition of the SumoSprings. Scott'n'Wendy brought up a good point. Rather than band-aid this project I might as well go all in. I plan to keep this trailer for at least another 8 to 10 years, I have too many mods and upgrades to start out with another rig and we really like this one the way it is.

Also with the new springs all the clearances should be equal and from there it will be a pretty even measurement for the pre-load of 1/4 to 1/2 required for the Sumos. I think anyway because because I park on a sloped drive I believe the front axle springs have compressed more that the rear springs.

I know the OEM springs have been compromised due to age and miles even though the last scale reading fully loaded on our way out last fall showed the trailer was still #500 under max trailer as indicated on the sticker.

This whole spring project planning has been because I want to be proactive in the longevity of the life of the trailer and reliability. Comes from my old aviation days. Fix it before it breaks. Parts breaking or falling off mid flight is never a good thing (been there, done that). Plugging a truck tire out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the Nevada desert this year was not fun and I can only imagine replacing a spring or worse in that environment.

I also have Timbrens and RAS along with upgraded rear shocks on my truck and all three were a great investment and major improvement to the rear suspension. Just need to get the trailer up to par.

Thanks again all.

Comment

I have Summo springs on my trailer, and just had a shackle bolt break on it. I believe that other than the benefits of the summo's, they also saved some damage from the bolt break. Actually the only way I knew of the break was looking in the rear view mirror, the trailer was not tracking straight.
                      2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
                      2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
                        I installed some shocks on my trailer to help smooth the ride and hoping it will increase longevity of the springs/spring hangers. I did not think about Sumo springs.....I don't think it would decrease longevity....
                        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

I installed some shocks on my trailer to help smooth the ride and hoping it will increase longevity of the springs/spring hangers. I did not think about Sumo springs.....I don't think it would decrease longevity....
                          I installed the Comfort Ride shocks on my Reflection 303RLS as well and couldn't be happier. You can notice a huge difference going over all types of road conditions and bumps.

Comment

I did go with replacing the springs with the same as what were installed from the factory. I had all the parts and was just waiting for cooler weather then we both got COVID. So, I spent two days, a few hours each of the two replacing one side of springs at a time. This old man is tired and sore to say the least.

Anyway, here a few observations I made during the process. Because of the corrosion control goop I put on, it was a greasy mess.

First to the brass bushings I installed in the spring of 2021. All looked to have no wear, same as with the wet bolts.

The springs may have gone another season but I believe they were getting close and I just wanted to have reassurance we can travel and hopefully not have a spring failure and I was curious what the condition of the bushings were after a bunch of miles, our last trip was 8200 but not all towing, I don't keep a log of trailer miles but would venture to say the trailer has a good 18000 miles if not more since I upgraded with the Road Armor, Morryde wet bolts and shackles.

Hangers looked good, because of the great condition of the brass bushings I decided not to replace the Road Armor bushings. And I was not looking forward to removing them as I have the X-Factor installed.

Attached is a picture of the newer Dexter bushing compared to the original brass bushing. Of course the springs all got the new bushings.

So now all that's left is for my body to recover, wait out a day of rain and the SumoSprings go on.

Not a very good picture but I do have my smiles back, if I ever had them to begin with.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X