Shackle bolt break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shackle bolt break

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2327.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.2 KB ID:	118898 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2330.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.9 KB ID:	118897 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2333.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.5 KB ID:	118896 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2329.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.7 KB ID:	118895

Add another bolt break. Didn't want to add in the other current thread.

Coming back from a 2,300 mile trip yesterday, I noticed in my mirror, that I could not see the left rear of my trailer, that it appeared to not be tracking properly. Pulling off the road, looked underneath the trailer, and you can see the spring off the bolt. To tell you the truth, other than the tracking, the Summo springs made it almost like there was no problems. There was a truck/trailer repair place about three miles from where I pulled off, and they were able to get a bolt into it, and I drove the last 130 miles home. The trailer has about 14,000 miles on it, and the bolts are greased several times a year. Looks like the weld broke, and if you look at the picture of a bracket that is still good, only about half the weld is actually doing anything. I will contact GD on Monday, but my current thought is getting the trailer to a commercial trailer repair place and have them check all the other bolts, fix the issue, and make sure the alignment is good.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 08-19-2023, 11:59 AM.
    2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
    2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

I don't really have much to add, but I thought it would be worthwhile adding the link to the other thread for future reference. When doing Wiki pages, I try to include cross referencing to make searching easier.

Other thread on broken bolt thread
    https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...tting-ready-to

​​​​​​
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Wileykid The Angle iron between the vertical members should only be welded on one side to the vertical then on the opposing side to the other vertical. This appears to be how they are installed based on the middle picture of the first row (looking forward weld on left outside) and the 3rd on the first row (looking rearward inside).
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        Wileykid The Angle iron between the vertical members should only be welded on one side to the vertical then on the opposing side to the other vertical. This appears to be how they are installed based on the middle picture of the first row (looking forward weld on left outside) and the 3rd on the first row (looking rearward inside).
        You are right. I could not really get a picture of the weld on hanger (opposite side) where the bolt failed, but it looks like the weld failed only because of the bolt breaking and the twisting of the hanger.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          Mine was tack welded on the opposite side as confirmed by the GD Mobile tech that replaced both rear hangers. There were deep wear points on the end of the original 'hardened' bolts on my front springs at the ends where the bushings were damaged and the spring eyes enlarged beyond repair. The knurled ends were also worn flat. So now this makes 5 recent events - all with 8K axles but build dates a year apart or more. For anyone keeping track,
          2022 376THS
          2022 310GK-R
          2021 398M
          2021 320G
          2021 349M

Link here. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...tting-ready-to

2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
          2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

Was at the trailer repair place today, and they found that the right rear wet bolt was also broken. It was still in, no idea why it had not worked its way out. The original was the left rear. They are currently, at my request replacing all the wet bolts with the nylon bushing and solid bolts. Should get it back tomorrow.

You can see the bolt snapped in half cleanly at the grease hole.​

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_50435585.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	119120

Comment

Wileykid
              Could you please post clear pictures of the ends where the break is?

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                Wileykid
                Could you please post clear pictures of the ends where the break is?

Brian
                The second picture is the bolt joined back together. The fit really well, as clean break.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_67210241.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.8 KB ID:	119130 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_67237633.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.4 KB ID:	119131

Comment

If possible can you clean the end of the bolts and try to get a better up close picture. It's a bit hard to tell, but it almost looks as if the bolts are too hard (brittle fracture). I'm not a materials expert by any means. but knowing what created the issue could help pinpoint the solution.

Image showing the difference:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	MMU3-11-2202.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	119134

And not being a straight across break does not necessarily indicate one or the other.

Also fracture through the grease hole is expected due to location (about center between the supports) and the forces being the highest in that area, reduction of material (gross area), and the stress riser effect due to the sharp corners in the holes. (That is a trip down memory lane from 30 years ago).
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

x2 on Jlawles2 Joseph’s theory. I was in the process of writing exactly the same thing . It would be ideal to get a hardness measurement of the break. A bolt should bend or stretch before it fractures . . .

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                      A bolt should bend or stretch before it fractures . . .

Rob
                      A grade 5...yes. A grade 8...no. A cheap no name bolt?.....who knows.
                      I need to crawl under the trailer and look at the bolt heads. This breaking at the grease hole is getting me worried. Like it never reportedly happened through the 2010's...but starting to happen now?
                      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                      2021 303RLS
                      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

A grade 5...yes. A grade 8...no. A cheap no name bolt?.....who knows.
                        I need to crawl under the trailer and look at the bolt heads. This breaking at the grease hole is getting me worried. Like it never reportedly happened through the 2010's...but starting to happen now?
                        So far, it seems to be primarily on the 8K axles.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2345.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	119148 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2343.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.0 KB ID:	119147 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2344.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	119150
                          Here are the pictures. Hopefully what you are looking for. The middle one is the one that the spring bent the bracket and slipped off the bolt.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Wileykid; 08-24-2023, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Yeah that's a good set of pictures. It almost looks like brittle fracture starting at the exit of the grease hole spanning across to the raised section where it starts transitioning into a ductile failure.

The interesting thing would be to know the orientation of the bolt in the spring. If the hole was at the top, that would be one of the highest tensile stress areas depending on how much stress the springs put pushing outward during loading.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Wileykid View Post
                              Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2345.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	119148 Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_2343.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.0 KB ID:	119147 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2344.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.6 KB ID:	119150
                              Here are the pictures. Hopefully what you are looking for. The middle one is the one that the spring bent the bracket and slipped off the bolt.
                              This looks like classic fatigue failure from multiple cycles of stress. The "beach marks" are the visual clue of progressive crack propagation. These trailer axles generate enormous side loads when we turn on pavement, the maximum being a tight turn of course. 5th wheels can be turned tighter than bumper tow, so they can see the most sideways skidding. Watching from behind when someone is making a tight turn is alarming. The amount of distortion is easily visible between front and back axles. I suspect that proper mechanical engineering stress analysis isn't part of the frame design in the spring hanger area. It should be.
                              Ottertail, Minnesota
                              2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                              2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Working...
                              X