Do U-bolts move on the axle tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do U-bolts move on the axle tubes?

Follow-up to our issue with wet bolts, missing bushings, ruined springs and shackles. We put about 1,000 miles on since springs, shackles, wet bolts, and U-bolts were replaced. Today we pulled in to Salina and when I pressed hitch height, heard a metallic clanking sound coming from the suspension as the front lifted. Same was heard when I auto leveled. Tried both again and same noises but I can't tell from which side (sounded like both). So, the U-bolts that GD sent were not the correct size and wouldn't fit around the axles (pic of old and wrong U-bolt below) so the local trailer repair was able to source form a shop that custom makes them. The original U-bolts were flat on the bottom - the wrong replacements and the locally sourced replacements are completely round and not flattened.

I crawled under and there are no broken hanger welds, no broken or missing bolts, everything is greased and is in place. The only thing I can see is that the U-bolts appear to be moving on the axle tubes themselves where they surround the bottom of the tubes. Given that the axles tubes are not perfectly straight, I'm assuming that something has to move as road loads change. Is that a wrong assumption?​

Click image for larger version

Name:	u-bolts.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	119973
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

I would check the torque on the u-bolts, I think they should be around 50 or 60 ft lbs. I found mine were loose from the factory and it is possible that the tech did not torque them properly.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      I would check the torque on the u-bolts, I think they should be around 50 or 60 ft lbs. I found mine were loose from the factory and it is possible that the tech did not torque them properly.

Brian
      Do I need to take the weight off the wheels to torque? Here's some pictures. The front are the ones that concern me - seem like they are spread apart at the tube end more than the top bolt/nut end. Don't know if the marks on the tubes were from the original u-bolts or the new ones.
      LF

Name:	left front.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	119982
      RF

Name:	right front.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	119983

LR

Name:	left rear.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	119984

RR

Name:	right rear.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	119985
      2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn

Comment

You do not need to take weight off of the wheels to torque the u-bolts. What you want to do is make sure the u-bolts are perpendicular to the axle and the springs are in proper placement on the perch. The top plate should be centered on the spring. Tighten each nut so that there is equal amount of u-bolt sticking out, close is good enough but do not have one side a lot longer than the other, 1/4" variance should be fine.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
          You do not need to take weight off of the wheels to torque the u-bolts. What you want to do is make sure the u-bolts are perpendicular to the axle and the springs are in proper placement on the perch. The top plate should be centered on the spring. Tighten each nut so that there is equal amount of u-bolt sticking out, close is good enough but do not have one side a lot longer than the other, 1/4" variance should be fine.

Brian
          Brian,
          I guess I don't know how the bolts can be perpendicular to the axle tube since the tube/axle is arc'd in the middle. So at the frame, the axles are not perpendicular to the frame by a small amount. But the supports don't appear to be centered with a couple of springs. FYI, all the bolts are tightened an equal amount so the stud length above is equal. I suspect because Dexter gives three different values for 1/2" U-bolts the tech may not have tightened them to spec but I'm trying to confirm the actual torque values from GD corporate since they sent the whole kit.

Comment

U-bolts need to be re-torqued from time to time. I do mine annually. On a previous brand trailer I found my u-bolts surprisingly loose...after owning a few years. I believe the u-bolt torque to be closer to 80-90 ft-lbs as opposed to what Brian said...but I could be wrong. Axle rating must play into it.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            2021 303RLS
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
              U-bolts need to be re-torqued from time to time. I do mine annually. On a previous brand trailer I found my u-bolts surprisingly loose...after owning a few years. I believe the u-bolt torque to be closer to 80-90 ft-lbs as opposed to what Brian said...but I could be wrong. Axle rating must play into it.
              Believe it is 70-80 ft lbs. These were just installed so I'm guessing they may not have been torqued to that spec. Dexter gives three values for 1/2" U-bolts - as low as 45 and as high as 80.

Comment

ccd_0001812.pdf

Various u-bolt torque from Lippert.
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                  [ATTACH]n119996[/ATTACH]

Various u-bolt torque from Lippert.
                  Interesting. My Dexter 8K come with 1/2" u-bolts and LCI says 9/16.

EDIT:Need to learn to read a measuring tape better. They are 9/16 and we're torqued to
                  95 ft lbs.
                  Last edited by ajg617; 09-12-2023, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Torque specifications from GD 2019 owners manual Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0387.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	120038
                    Attached Files
                    Retired Tanker Yanker
                    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK - Carlisle CSL 16 225/75 15, MORryde CRE 3000 & center X cross brace, Sumo springs, Andersen Ultimate Hitch 6-Leaf Double-Eye Spring for 4,500-lb Axles
                    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Comment

Working...
                    X