Trac Bar System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trac Bar System

Looks like I am on the hook for a rear axle after talking to both Grand Design and Dexter. 7000 miles and I need two rear tires as inside of them are at wear bars. I know roads are bad and all but this seems pretty crazy to me on a fairly new unit. So, anyway I found this setup by a shop in San Diego and it really looks promising to me so interested in what some of the forum experts think.

​​​​​​https://www.facebook.com/trailertrutrac
    Nels & Vanessa
    2022 Reflection 31MB
    2022 Chevy 3500 4x4 SRW Standard Bed Duramax, BW OEM non slider hitch custom 7000 axles w dual panhard rods and G rated tires.

Do you have any other link to the product? Not all here are on facebook.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Do you have any other link to the product? Not all here are on facebook.

Brian
      Unfortunately I don't. That's the only info I could find is on facebook.
      Nels & Vanessa
      2022 Reflection 31MB
      2022 Chevy 3500 4x4 SRW Standard Bed Duramax, BW OEM non slider hitch custom 7000 axles w dual panhard rods and G rated tires.

Comment

Attempting to post pictures that are not upside down 🤔

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trutrac3.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	120362
        Attached Files
        Nels & Vanessa
        2022 Reflection 31MB

Comment

That looks very similar to what a member had been designing a few years ago. Cate&Rob Do you remember who this member was? Do you remember this concept? Or is my mind not thinking correctly?

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I remember that too Brian. But I'm not so sure how this will help with tire wear. That is usually caused by a spindle bend. The track bars are well inside of the spindle.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Country CampersTucsonJim

You are likely remembering a project that Pat Wardell Gyrogearloose and I were working on several years ago. This grew out of the work that we did together to select stronger springs for the heavier side of our 303s. We were working on a panhard rod design to maintain the axle location during side loads. (Not uncommon on solid rear axle vehicles).

Unfortunately, Pat encountered some significant health issues and has not been on the forum since August 2021. I have lost contact with him since about then. I do know that he sold his Reflection at about that time.

Attached is a picture of what we were working on . . . although a prototype was never built. It is similar to the topic of this thread.

I agree with Jim that a system such as this will not remedy uneven tire wear . . . that is almost always a bent axle or a bent spindle.

Rob

Name:	clamp on panhard.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	120369
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                I remember that too Brian. But I'm not so sure how this will help with tire wear. That is usually caused by a spindle bend. The track bars are well inside of the spindle.

Jim
                I know the axle will need to be replaced and the trac bars will really not help tire wear. Looking at this to strengthen frame and spring hangers. They build the axles at their shop and will do thick wall tubing to help reduce potential bending issues in the future. I also think that eliminating or mostly eliminating the lateral loads on the spring and equalizer assembly's should help them operate more efficiently.
                Nels & Vanessa
                2022 Reflection 31MB

Comment

Originally posted by nprario View Post

I know the axle will need to be replaced and the trac bars will really not help tire wear. Looking at this to strengthen frame and spring hangers. They build the axles at their shop and will do thick wall tubing to help reduce potential bending issues in the future. I also think that eliminating or mostly eliminating the lateral loads on the spring and equalizer assembly's should help them operate more efficiently.
                  Another option is MorRyde X-factor braces. They aren't a perfect solution as Rob will likely expand on. But I installed three of them on my unit and just put 6000 miles on this summer. Some of those miles were on some really rugged back country dirt roads. I had no suspension mishaps along the way.

Name:	X Factor Braces.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	120372
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The MORRyde braces reinforce one hanger to the other. The pictures posted here (BTW the linked FB page seems to be restricted/blocked) appear to be a panhard rod design whereby the axle is braced crosswise to prevent side-to-side movement. This would be a good idea and is what Pat & I were working on, several years ago.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by nprario View Post
                      Looks like I am on the hook for a rear axle after talking to both Grand Design and Dexter. 7000 miles and I need two rear tires as inside of them are at wear bars. I know roads are bad and all but this seems pretty crazy to me on a fairly new unit. So, anyway I found this setup by a shop in San Diego and it really looks promising to me so interested in what some of the forum experts think.

​​​​​​https://www.facebook.com/trailertrutrac
                      I believe the x-Factors will do the same thing. I no longer see any axle side movement in parking lot turns as I used to without the x-Factor. However that assembly clamps to the axle tube and will probably bent it in use. Your tire wear sounds like mine before I replaced my axles (full thread here ) and I will bet your axle tube is thin wall. To know take a picture of the axle tags and send to Dexter and get the build sheet - also post here. If you replace you axle get the heavy wall tube - much stronger.. As new as your trailer is I am surprised that GD and Dexter are not helping. Also check for frame cracks above the suspension points.
                      Keith
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                      X