ID:	120918 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230928_163450.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	120919 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230928_163429.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	120920 Has anyone seen their rim blow out before? The guy at Discount Tire said he has never seen anything like it before. We were traveling and the TPMS went off, slow leak. I stopped and checked it and saw the rim bent. I didn't hit anything that I am aware of. We had been driving for 2 hours since the last stop. I have driven thousands of miles on this tire and rim. There are no marks on the tire that I think would be visible if I hit something. I checked the tire this morning and topped off the air at 75 psi. I'm trying to find a new rim with no luck. It appears this rim has been discontinued. We are in Georgia now. I will try Bontrager's tomorrow, but they are in Indiana. What are your thoughts?
    John & Beata, Waterford, WI
    2021 Reflection 337 RLS
    2017 Ford F350 Lariat, Diesel, Crew Cab, Demco 21K Recon 5th Wheel Hitch
    1200 watts solar, Multiplus II, 4 BB batteries, Orion DC/DC charger

You hit something. Maybe long before the problem showed
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

John L I agree with John that there was an impact on the rim. Got I do agree it is strange that no major tire scuffing is present. Did you ever have a tire changed or go flat on this rim before? I am wondering if the bead breaker got misused.

l
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
        You hit something. Maybe long before the problem showed
        How long ago do you think it could have happened, months or years ago?
        2021 Reflection 337 RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
          John L I agree with John that there was an impact on the rim. Got I do agree it is strange that no major tire scuffing is present. Did you ever have a tire changed or go flat on this rim before? I am wondering if the bead breaker got misused.

l
          I replaced the original tires May 2022 with these ones.
          2021 Reflection 337 RLS

Comment

Check etrailer.com for replacements. I got a wheel and tire mounted delivered to a ups store in Oshkosh WI while traveling. They may have a wheel to match.
            Jim
            Jim and Cindy
            2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
            2021 320G

Comment

John L -- I was just at Bontrager's today! Based on what I saw there, I'm going to guess they'll have your rim.

Johnson's Surplus, just down the road in White Pigeon, was also quite a place and could be a resource. https://www.johnsonssurplus.com/

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yes, I've seen a similar blow out. It was on a Dodge Avenger. Hitting a railway crossing at speed.
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                2021 303RLS
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

My blowout this summer was almost identical. Driving 60 then TPMS alarms 0 pressure. Tire shop contends I hit something also but amazing that I had driven an hour from last stop on smooth roads then it decided to blow. E-trailer had a comparable rim and sent it to a friend in South Dakota so I could continue trip. At least I know the spare works well. Lionshead rep also referred me to M&G trailers in Ramsey, MN. stated they maintain an inventory of Lionshead rims.

Click image for larger version

Name:	split rim.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	120954 Click image for larger version

Name:	shredded tire.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	120955 Click image for larger version

Name:	shredded tire 60-0.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	120953
                  Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger
                  2018 F-350 SRW Diesel long bed Platinum edition

Comment

Well that is truly amazing to see 2 of the same type of failure. I was on the side of the OP hit a bad pot hole or a curb but after seeing the pics above this surely seems like something to investigate a little more. I would think with the rim cracking it would lose air immediately, the tire damage would be the result of riding along with no air for some distance. I sure hope these are isolated incidents.

Brian

PS: Kevin, When did your wheel break?
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

JohnL 50ST8R

Do you both still have the wheels? Is there any markings on them, serial number, batch number?

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

It was in July on our way to South Dakota, traveling across Iowa just before the July 4 weekend. we had pulled off to see one of the Freedom Rocks about an hour before the blow out. There was a small lip on the road to get back on but that seemed unlikely as we were just reentering the highway so it was no more than going over some speed bumps in campgrounds. Lionshead folks at the rally looked at our pictures and concluded we had struck something also. I had a slow leak in the tire previously and had just put on a new tire 2 weeks prior and tire place argued that they would not honor road hazard on a trailer tire. Last purchase there☹
                        Kevin and Deb Reeder, 2021 Reflection 320 MKS, IS, 1050W Solar, Battleborne 400 Amps, Victron Multiplus and Solar, Renogy DC-DC Charger

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                          JohnL 50ST8R

Do you both still have the wheels? Is there any markings on them, serial number, batch number?
                          Brian
                          Sorry no I just left it with the tire place after they refused to compensate for anything. Didn't think about keeping to try back with Lionshead, (missed opportunity there, probably)

Comment

Its interesting to see this and like Brian I am rethinking a impact causing the damage - probably not. Are all the rims 15" or is is a mix of 15" and 16"? There was a cracking issue on the 16" spokes if I remember a while back.

For replacement rims I can recommend Sendel http://sendelwheel.com/ I got mine through Discount tire - they gave me a great deal. They have been holding up very well.

Keith
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                              Its interesting to see this and like Brian I am rethinking a impact causing the damage - probably not. Are all the rims 15" or is is a mix of 15" and 16"? There was a cracking issue on the 16" spokes if I remember a while back.

For replacement rims I can recommend Sendel http://sendelwheel.com/ I got mine through Discount tire - they gave me a great deal. They have been holding up very well.

Keith
                              Ours are 16.

Comment

Working...
                              X