Frame cracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame cracks

I have a 2017 Reflections 303. I was lubing my slide gears and noticed these cracks The picture is of the drivers side just behind the centre hanger. There is a crack on the other side as well in the same area. Best solution to fix and because it’s a 2017 should I contact Lippert on this problem.
    I have the v-clips installed plus sumo springs , upgraded wet bolts and shackles.
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0991.jpg
Views:	1331
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	121043

Contact both Lippert and GD and take lots of pictures. Lippert authorized a welder to do my repairs with GD support - even out of warranty.. Welding a reinforcement gusset plate to the center of the web is stupid at best.. and contrary to any structural engineering reinforcement. It should be a full height reinforcement between the top and bottom flange.. You should get a case number from GD and a separate one from Lippert.. There are probably other cracks, so contact a local welder that does heavy truck repair to do a full inspection.
    Be nice but firm with both Lippert and GD. This should not be happening.
    This was my situation https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...k-frame-cracks

Good luck
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Hi Keith,

I have had some email exchange with Wrongwayrver (Randy) on this topic and am of the same opinion that bracing an I beam flange to the much thinner web of the same I beam . . . makes no sense and is likely the root cause of these cracks.

Randy raised a question (which I think you also did originally) as to whether his Sumo springs could have any affect on this. I offered my perspective that I don’t think this could be linked to Sumos which create a vertical compression load on the frame lower flange directly above the axle . . . not near the hangers where the cracks are appearing. If anything, Sumos would lessen the forces into the hangers and frame at the hanger location. Sumos can’t transmit any side load or twist into the frame. Keith, would you agree with this ?

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Yoda Hi Keith,

I have had some email exchange with Wrongwayrver (Randy) on this topic and am of the same opinion that bracing an I beam flange to the much thinner web of the same I beam . . . makes no sense and is likely the root cause of these cracks.

Randy raised a question (which I think you also did originally) as to whether his Sumo springs could have any affect on this. I offered my perspective that I don’t think this could be linked to Sumos which create a vertical compression load on the frame lower flange directly above the axle . . . not near the hangers where the cracks are appearing. If anything, Sumos would lessen the forces into the hangers and frame at the hanger location. Sumos can’t transmit any side load or twist into the frame. Keith, would you agree with this ?

Rob
        I absolutely agree. Putting the stress of axle flexing to the web center is the cause as verified by my certified welder. He also agreed that the sumo springs wold not have added any more stress, in fact the opposite as you suggest. reducing the axle and spring movement. That's why I put them back on after the axle swap.

I also asked about the X-Factor bracing. He thought that would help reduce the axle flexing the hangers and reduce the web stress. I have seen a huge improvement in the smother towing of the trailer now. It even tracks better in high cross winds and much less lane shifting when being passed by a semi.

Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Hi Yoda I thought the v-clips helped to reduce the hanger flex. I had them put on last year. So if I read yours and Robs thread Iam assuming the gusset they added above the hangers is the cause of the cracks? Do you have some pictures of your fix.
          Thanks

Comment

I have sent pictures to Lippert and GD got two separate case numbers will see what they have to say about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrongwayrver View Post
              Hi Yoda I thought the v-clips helped to reduce the hanger flex. I had them put on last year. So if I read yours and Robs thread Iam assuming the gusset they added above the hangers is the cause of the cracks? Do you have some pictures of your fix.
              Thanks
              The V-Clips will help, but not solve the stress on the web. See the link in post #2
              Frame was fully sub framed with 2x2, including new cross bracing, and web was patched in several areas in addition to the vertical stiffeners welded between the top and bottom flanges.

Comment

Wrongwayrver Yoda

Randy: You should carefully read through all the posts on the thread that Keith linked to Post 2. (It will take a while . . . it’s a long read . . . but, most of your questions are answered there).

Keith: Thanks for taking the time to explain every step of your resolution of this issue.

The key to this is the vertical stiffeners welded between the upper and lower flanges (in my opinion).

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Rob
                  I just finished going through Keith’s threads and pictures I now see what’s been done got a better understanding of the situation. Just going to wait and see what Lippert and GD have to say. I did a full crawl around today and only found those two areas with cracks. Iam sure I will have more questions going forward about boxing the frame like Keith did or put X factor cross members on all the hangers.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Wrongwayrver View Post
                    Hi Rob
                    I just finished going through Keith’s threads and pictures I now see what’s been done got a better understanding of the situation. Just going to wait and see what Lippert and GD have to say. I did a full crawl around today and only found those two areas with cracks. Iam sure I will have more questions going forward about boxing the frame like Keith did or put X factor cross members on all the hangers.

Randy
                    Randy
                    Have you fully cleaned your frame to double check the cracks. I found several by seeing where the water got into cracks through the paint (surface dried, but crack was still wet) - just looked like a scratch in the paint at first. There is also a special die that can be sprayed on to check. Most certified welders can do this. Speaking of which - you should be looking for a welder that can do the work, either in your drive or a shop and get estimates, unless you live near Indiana where you can take it to the Lippert shop.

If you have any other question ask away. The most important fix the welder can do is to install the stiffeners between the top and bottom flange either side of the hangers, or box the beam in that area.

Comment

I have a heavy duty trailer shop in my area. I am going to contact them tomorrow and see what there time line is to do a thorough inspection of the frame. will have them do an estimate and fix option upon the conclusion of the inspection. This fix may wait till the spring as I can do some of the disassembly myself. Got to clean up the underbelly anyways at some point do it all at once I guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X