No announcement yet.

When do you need new hub bearing races?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do you need new hub bearing races?

How do you know when you need new bearing races in the wheel hubs? How do you get the old ones out and the new ones in? If you can rotate one in place is that a problem? Can it be fixed, or does it need to be replaced? Where can you get new ones, if needed, and make sure they are the right size?
    Thanks any information.
    Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider

If you can rotate the race...it's done. Normally the bearing shows wear and when you replace it...you do the race at the same time. Races are knocked out with a hammer and punch. Pretty easy job. But until you do it once it seems a little mystifying. When you buy a new bearing you purchase the matching race at the same time.....the person selling you the bearing will know which race goes with it.

By the way, if the race can rotate.....you may have a hub issue. Maybe not...but.. it needs to be determined. A rotating race would likely ruin the hub.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Seldom does the race fail or is the cause of the replacement. HOWEVER a couple of rules regarding bearings and races:

1. Always replace as a pair. A new bearing gets a new race.

2. Don't mix brands of races and bearings.

A little more explanation to rule number 2, if you buy your bearings from a RV dealer or trailer supply retailer more than likely you will receive a set. If you buy bearing from a bearing supplier or auto parts store, the bearings (what the industry calls the cone) and the race (the cup) will be packaged individually. For example the inner bearing on 5,200 to 8,000 pound axles has part numbers of 25580 for the bearing (cone) and 25520 for the race (cup), don't let the parts house give you a Timken for one and and SKF for the other.

AND if the race does rotate in the hub, my experience has been the hub needs to be replaced.
      Colan Arnold
      2016 Momentum 397TH
      Full time since 2016

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy; colan thank you for the information, it is very helpful. Who can check a hub, and how do they decide it needs to be replaced? I looked at the Grand Design parts ID, it shows the axle with hubs and springs. Do I need to contact Lippert about getting just the hub?
        Dave
        2016 Reflection 27RL
        2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
        B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
          Who can check a hub, and how do they decide it needs to be replaced?
          Well, if the race was spinning, if it were me I would just replace the hub. And while I have never ordered a new hub, if the option exists, buy a new hub/bearing assy.

2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Dave27 View Post
            Scott'n'Wendy; colan thank you for the information, it is very helpful. Who can check a hub, and how do they decide it needs to be replaced? I looked at the Grand Design parts ID, it shows the axle with hubs and springs. Do I need to contact Lippert about getting just the hub?
            Dave
            If you know the make of the axle, the hub should be source able from many vendors such as etrailer.com or even a local parts house.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy colan Jlawles2 thank you for your help, I found it on e-trailer.
              Dave
              2016 Reflection 27RL
              2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
              B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Originally posted by colan View Post
                2. Don't mix brands of races and bearings.
                While I agree with the statement.....have you ever seen where (for example) an skf cone with a timken race caused an issue?
                They are all cnc controlled...to very close tolerances.
                Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 10-04-2023, 07:30 PM.
                2021 303RLS

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Scott, the reason for not mixing brands is more related to ensuring the angle between the 2 are matched. I can see where the angle between the 2 components are not always the same 1 or 2 degrees can cause havoc to both.

Also, bearing and race metallurgy is a unique thing between MFG. It could be that you get 2 metals that are not well matched for the loads being imposed when using different MFG.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2
                    I'm not sure I'm willing to think that reputable bearing manufacturers would out 1 or 2 degrees in their bearing components. However metalurgy, has me thinking. Thanks for the post.
                    2021 303RLS

Comment

I prefer Timken brand bearings due to their proven quality and reliability over time. I'm attaching a file from Timken that goes into some of the details on why you should not mix bearing components from different manufacturers.

https://www.timken.com/wp-content/up...ogether-EN.pdf

Jim
                      Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

And now for the rest of the story - I bought a new brake drum/hub and put it on the axle with the defective one. I took off the next one to repack the bearings, and it had a race that spins too! At that point, I decided to replace them all. The last two were fine, but I replaced them anyway, and will keep them as "spares". I don't know why two of the four went bad. Again, thank you for your help on this.
                        Dave
                        2016 Reflection 27RL
                        2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                        B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

I am going to guess either the hub is out of spec, the race is out of spec, or something got hot.

Are there any signs of discoloration on the bearing inner, outer races or the rollers?
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hmmm. was it the same axle or same side?
                            2021 303RLS

Comment

Jlawles2 Scott'n'Wendy The outer bearings were definitely discolored on the first hub. The hubs are on the same side, the driver's side. I intend to clean up the bearings and look at them more closely when I have a little time.
                              Dave
                              2016 Reflection 27RL
                              2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                              B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Working...
                              X