Outside edge tire wear front axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside edge tire wear front axle

Appears that front tire is pointed inward about 1/4”. Have taken multiple/many measurements including from kingpin, and all check out. Likely culprit?

Is the other side pointed outward the same amount- more or less? If so the axle is at an angle? If not, the spindle is tweaked or something similar like the axle tube took a hit?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Good morning djg9100. Welcome to the forum. Can you please share the year and model of your GDRV? Also, please let us know what the GAWR of your axle is. You'll be able to find it on the identification tag on the axle or on the placard near the driver's side front.

My rig has had three bent or misaligned axle spindles over 30,000 miles. Our roads just tear them up.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

2020 320mks

Comment

Other side looks good. All other tire wear is normal/good. All measurements the same.

Comment

Perfect. You have 6,000 Pound Dexter axles. The likely culprit is a bent spindle. Spindles can come from the axle manufacturer out of alignment, or more often, they get bent due to potholes, curbs, etc.

Since the RV is a 2020, it's well out of warranty. But there are options you can pursue.

1. If you can find an alignment shop that can handle correcting a bent spindle, it will be your lowest cost solution.
            2. If you can't get it aligned, you can replace the axle. I just did this in August for the third time in seven years (30,000+ miles). This will likely run you around $500 to $1K depending on whether you purchase a bare axle or a complete one with bearings and brakes.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll look into the options. I plan to remove wheels. How do u check for vent spindle? Measurements??

Comment

Working...
              X