No announcement yet.

Manually adjusting never adjust brakes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manually adjusting never adjust brakes.

I need to back off one of my brakes as I found several flat spots on my new tires on one wheel. Unfortunately on spot is pretty deep. Ill swap the new spare in next spring. I can see the spoke wheel, but I know there must be a trick on how to roll it backwards - towards the ground to back the brakes off I am assuming backwards (opposite of the notches) as the auto adjust lever appear to walk it up looking at the notches on the wheel. Hopefully I don't need a new tool for this Can the lever be pulled back away from the notched wheel wheel?

Any help is appreciated.

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

As I remember, it’s a tight fit getting a tool in to tighten those brakes. I’d think trying to release the lever while backing off might result in some swearing!

Something for you to think about and look into: I came across a lengthy write-up discussing the poor machining practices used in finishing brake drums and how that caused problems with self-adjusting brakes. The author’s position as I recall was that if the concentricity of the braking surface and center hole was off as little as 0.015 inches, it could result in the brake adjusting one click too far causing accelerated wear and putting a disproportionate braking load on that wheel. Lockups would be a possibility.

So you might want to eyeball the brakes on that wheel.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
      As I remember, it’s a tight fit getting a tool in to tighten those brakes. I’d think trying to release the lever while backing off might result in some swearing!

Something for you to think about and look into: I came across a lengthy write-up discussing the poor machining practices used in finishing brake drums and how that caused problems with self-adjusting brakes. The author’s position as I recall was that if the concentricity of the braking surface and center hole was off as little as 0.015 inches, it could result in the brake adjusting one click too far causing accelerated wear and putting a disproportionate braking load on that wheel. Lockups would be a possibility.

So you might want to eyeball the brakes on that wheel.
      Thanks John
      When I was installing the axles I think that wheel was the one with the most break drag as delivered by Bear Trailer. It felt tight from the start and was the one locking up the most during burnishing. After the 1000 miles it seemed to balance out, but I want to jack up each axle and check the drum interference. From reading and U-tube there should be some drag present but you should still get a rotation or two when spinning the wheel. The flat spot may have occurred early on - I just don't remember . I know I did have one long lockup on that wheel before getting to the rally and I backed the gain off a couple of numbers, and I thought that solved it. I just don't know. Was wanting to know how to adjust (back off) when I check things out this spring. I had not planed to pull the drums and repack, but who knows. only about 3K on the new axles, but I better google the distance I traveled.

Appreciate the help
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

To back off the adjuster, I found a small screwdriver pushed through the hole can push the adjuster up and out of the way. I ended up using my other spoon and holding the adjuster up while making the adjustment with the other tool.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          To back off the adjuster, I found a small screwdriver pushed through the hole can push the adjuster up and out of the way. I ended up using my other spoon and holding the adjuster up while making the adjustment with the other tool.
          Thanks Joseph
          Its too cold here now, but thanks on the tip. Ill report back in the spring when I come out of hibernation

PS A few good wishes would be appreciated for us to get to Mississippi. Leave on the 18th. I have a few projects I will be taking with me to do in the warm weather - just need to remember to pack a few tools and parts,,,,,,,, and a big rib roast to appease the outlaw in laws

Comment

Maybe over the hollidays you can get one of the "younger" lads or possibly ladies to help you with the brakes. Never hurts to educate the younger generation on the old school technology as that stuff is in more places than they can ever imagine.

Plus a little bonding time with the younger group is always a good thing.
            Joseph
            Tow
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Yoda

Keith. I've backed mine off several times over the years. Do you have a single adjuster hole or two? If you have two, open them both up and insert a small screw driver into the "non adjuster hole". You can come sideways with the screw driver to move the adjuster arm. Use a flashlight to watch that you've disengaged the adjuster arm with the small screw driver. Then you can use your brake spoon or another screw driver to rotate the star wheel in the desired direction without interference from the adjuster arm. (similar to what Joseph Jlawles2 mentioned above).

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                Yoda

Keith. I've backed mine off several times over the years. Do you have a single adjuster hole or two? If you have two, open them both up and insert a small screw driver into the "non adjuster hole". You can come sideways with the screw driver to move the adjuster arm. Use a flashlight to watch that you've disengaged the adjuster arm with the small screw driver. Then you can use your brake spoon or another screw driver to rotate the star wheel in the desired direction without interference from the adjuster arm. (similar to what Joseph Jlawles2 mentioned above).

Jim
                Thanks Jim
                I do have the two slots Would it be worth the trouble to get a brake spoon - probably Harbor Freight?

BTW my slots are not covered with plugs - should they be? If so I need to get 8.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Yoda

Yep, get an adjusting tool. It's easier than trying to use a screwdriver.
                  https://a.co/d/dEtAQQQ

And you should plug those holes up. It helps keep contaminants such as water and dirt from getting in as easily. Although the brakes are not a sealed system, those holes are pretty large.
                  https://a.co/d/gGHHXrm

There. I spent very little of your money (this time).

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

You could consider removing the auto adjusters . . . they often seem to create more problems than they solve, particularly if you already have one that has tightened too much. Manually adjusting once per season (unless you travel a lot of miles) is usually sufficient and gives you a measure of whether things are wearing evenly across all four brakes.

Rob
                    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 12-10-2023, 07:29 PM.
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                      Yoda

Yep, get an adjusting tool. It's easier than trying to use a screwdriver.
                      https://a.co/d/dEtAQQQ

And you should plug those holes up. It helps keep contaminants such as water and dirt from getting in as easily. Although the brakes are not a sealed system, those holes are pretty large.
                      https://a.co/d/gGHHXrm

There. I spent very little of your money (this time).

Jim
                      Thanks Jim
                      Will order today.

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                        You could consider removing the auto adjusters . . . they often seem to create more problems than they solve, particularly if you have already have one that has tightened too much. Manually adjusting once per season (unless you travel a lot of miles) is usually sufficient and gives you a measure of whether things are wearing evenly across all four brakes.

Rob
                        Rob I think it was too tight from Iron Bear. They had to change out the brakes as Dexter shipped with the non self adjusting brakes and I wanted the self adjusting. I have had good luck with them over the years. My last trailer (2001) had them.

Now am I correct the proper adjustment should have a little drag - one or two revolutions spinning the tire?

Keith

Comment

Keith, I have the Gear Wrench spoon and a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1 (gear wrench is much heavier). i use the Lisle one "upside" down to hole the adjuster out of the way. It's much thinner and sharper.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            Keith, I have the Gear Wrench spoon and a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1 (gear wrench is much heavier). i use the Lisle one "upside" down to hole the adjuster out of the way. It's much thinner and sharper.
                            Thanks Joseph. Thanks to Jim I have the Gear Wrench and plugs ordered. Got a couple of extra plugs while I was at it. Somewhere I have a mini wrecking claw that about the size of the other tool and I have some old cheep screw drives I can bend if needed - they are not good for anything else.

Ill get after it next spring when it is a lot warmer than it is now, besides sliding around on ice is not fun.

Comment

Working...
                            X