tire pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rally View Post
    does anyone put MORE then the recommended cold tire psi in rear tires when hooked up to a 5-er? My truck says 60 psi but i think 5lbs would be better
    Breaker 19 or 16 or 27.185, I wonder if the OP got the answer to the question or are they more confused?
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK - Carlisle CSL 16 225/75 15, MORryde CRE 3000 & center X cross brace, Sumo springs, Andersen Ultimate Hitch 6-Leaf Double-Eye Spring for 4,500-lb Axles
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Comment

Originally posted by rally View Post
      does anyone put MORE then the recommended cold tire psi in rear tires when hooked up to a 5-er? My truck says 60 psi but i think 5lbs would be better
      I inflate to the recommended max pressure listed on the door jamb. I recheck and adjust each winter and summer.
      Rich

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        I've never understood the "cold" tire inflation number on the tire. Cold for me on an August morning in Arizona may be 90°F. But a person in West Yellowstone may be at 40°F. If we both inflate to 80 PSI, our tire pressure will be quite a bit different if I drive to a cooler climate, or they drive where it's warmer. I wish the tire manufacturers would specify an actual temperature. For example, 80 PSI at 70°F. And then you could use a compensation table to properly inflate the tires.
        I believe the 80PSI is wrong to follow on the 5er. It's the individual weight set on the wheel that sets the pressure.

Comment

Tire pressure rise from 70F to 90F is only going to be 2 to 4 psi. Really a concern? Your gage is no better than +-0.5 psi.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

rally, there are some true tire experts that can answer your questions better than I can. I will attempt to provide some of the information I have gathered from them. Hopefully without misrepresenting anything.

The weight rating of the tire is important, and not overloading the tire is equally important. However, it is difficult to weigh the load on each individual tire. Using the tire load with a load rating posted on the sticker on the tire, and keeping gross weight for both the trailer and the axles, at or below maximum capacity should help insure a tire is not overloaded. That said I did buy a tire after I had a flat that couldn't be fixed that had the same load rating as the tire it replaced, but the maximum load listed by the manufacture of the new tire was considerably less than the tire it replaced. Also, unequal loading may also impact loading on individual tires.

Cold tire pressure is the tire pressure when the tire is not hot from being rolled down the road, i.e. ambient temperature and is usually considered to be 70 to 80 degrees F. The listed cold pressure temperature is the pressure that the tire can be filled to without it overheating and blowing out at highway speeds. If the load on the individual tires is known, then the actual fill pressure could be decreased, but it should never be more than the maximum cold pressure. But having the tire overinflated for the actual load but not over maximum cold pressure is not going to hurt anything, and is safer than risking a tire being underinflated for its actual load.

Now changes in elevation and ambient temperature will change the actual pressure of the tire and there are tables online on what adjustments to make. For my situation, a ten degree F change in temp will result in about 2 psi change on the truck and 5 psi change on the trailer. I also consider how close the readings on the tires are and if one seems unusually low or high, that is the one that gets my attention.
            John
            2018 Momentum 395M
            2018 Ram 3500 Dually
            Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
            X