Tire Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Wear

Our 2023 337 is wearing the outside edges on all four tires. Called GD service on Friday and they opened a case for it. Gentleman said the dealership will take measurements and if out of specs they will replace axles! Has anyone had this issue and how was it corrected?
    Jay & Patty Wallace
    2023 Reflection 337 RLS
    2022 Silverado 3500 HD High Country Duramax 6.6L Allison 10 SP

Wearing the outside edges of both tires on an axle (or both axles) is relatively unusual and likely a sign of too much toe-in . . . which can only be caused by a bent or incorrectly manufactured axle tube. The more usual wear pattern caused by alignment would be wearing inside edges . . . which would most likely be caused by too much negative camber due to overloading or a bent spindle/axle.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Like Rob said, outside wear is fairly unusual. Most commonly, the spindles are bent upward from excess weight, or rearward from striking things like curbs or potholes. Both of these cause inside wear.

I’d recommend if the dealer answer doesn’t make sense to pay a dedicated trailer shop to measure. They are usually more technically proficient than RV shops.

One thing I’d check for if it were my trailer is the arch in the axle. Trailer axles are usually arched upwards in the middle so that adding weight wants to flatten them. Put a 4ft straight edge on the bottom of the axle and see if a gap shows at the center.
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Rob
        Thx for fast response. Will keep you posted on outcome
        Jay & Patty Wallace
        2023 Reflection 337 RLS

Comment

Stopped at service department and talked to service guy.
          when I told him GD service said to schedule appointment for tire wear he was quick to reply take measurements so sounds like they’re familiar with the process. When I go get camper I will check a les with straight edge
          Jay & Patty Wallace
          2023 Reflection 337 RLS

Comment

First thing that comes to mind is the trailer was jacked up by the axle tubes.
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            2021 303RLS
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

We purchased it new and I haven’t jacked it up by axle tubes
              Jay & Patty Wallace
              2023 Reflection 337 RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Jay HHI6818 View Post
                The other thing to check is the spring eyes and shackles causing a misalignment. Measure from the king pin to the forward spring mount on both sides and then from those mounts back making sure everything is equal distant and perpendicular. If it was inside wear I would suspect a bent tube which happens from overloading or improper jacking like Scott mentioned, but it is a good idea to run you hand along them and feel for any kinks that might cause too much arch. I also second the thought of John that if the dealer can find the issue to visit a frame and axle repair shop of a truck or commercial trailer place. Also if you can post up some pictures of the tire wear.

Hope this helps
                Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I was actually thinking the dealership did...prior to you owning it. Because for all four to wear poorly in the same fashion...it makes me think all four spindles were installed wrong at the factory or some maintenance person did something wrong...the same way to both axles.
                  2021 303RLS

Comment

I had a similar issue on my 2022 28BH, but only wearing bad on the rear axle. I called GD about it and they gave me a case number and said to have a dealer send them measurements. GD got the measurements and agreed to send a replacement axle, but they didn't over labor. It's still in the shop right now, but they said the labor would be about $630. I will probably also have to replace the worn tires myself too.
                    Greg & Sherri

2022 GD Reflection 28BH
                    2009 RAM 2500 Cummins

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoGreg View Post
                      I had a similar issue on my 2022 28BH, but only wearing bad on the rear axle. I called GD about it and they gave me a case number and said to have a dealer send them measurements. GD got the measurements and agreed to send a replacement axle, but they didn't over labor. It's still in the shop right now, but they said the labor would be about $630. I will probably also have to replace the worn tires myself too.
                      Real shame you had to pay labor? Was it
                      out of warranty?
                      Jay & Patty Wallace
                      2023 Reflection 337 RLS

Comment

I sent email with my GD case number to service guy this morning. He called this afternoon and asked when I could bring our 337 in. Camper is hour away at our seasonal campsite. Hope l can get it this weekend. Wife had 5 hr surgery last Thursday on her broken wrist so its been a crazy week.
                        Jay & Patty Wallace
                        2023 Reflection 337 RLS

Comment

I sent email with my GD case number to service guy this morning. He called this afternoon and asked when I could bring our 337 in. Camper is hour away at our seasonal campsite. Hope l can get it this weekend. Wife had 5 hr surgery last Thursday on her broken wrist so its been a crazy week.
                          Should only be a 1 to 2 hour job max if the know what they are doing. 4 spring bolts and 2 wires to undo and redo. You should be able to wait for it. OOPS I forgot the two tires, so add 15 minutes to that.
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Axle swap is not that long of a job. It's getting the jacks and blocking installed that takes so long. Then going back and double checking the torque on everything.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                              Then going back and double checking the torque on everything.
                              I'd be doing that part myself. While I'm sure there are plenty of good dealer service departments out there.....the bad ones get a lot of press...... which makes me skeptical of all of them.

2021 303RLS

Comment

Working...
                              X