Is this a frame crack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a frame crack?

I took a peek at my frame above the suspension recently. Things look fine, except for maybe this 'kinda looks like the start of a crack?" maybe? I dunno. After I wiped it with a rag it looks less like one to me. Whatcha think? There is a virtually identical looking spot on the other side.

Attached Files
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Looks like a paint crack. Pick at the paint with the corner of a razor blade to see if you can flake a few pieces off. It isn't in an apparently stressed location as it would be if it were right above a shackle mount, unless I'm not understanding the picture.
    Ottertail, Minnesota
    2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
    2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
      I took a peek at my frame above the suspension recently. Things look fine, except for maybe this 'kinda looks like the start of a crack?" maybe? I dunno. After I wiped it with a rag it looks less like one to me. Whatcha think? There is a virtually identical looking spot on the other side.
      I'd be more concerned with the rust line above the paint crack - that to me looks like the start of movement where water has entered and rusted the frame. I think the only way you can be sure is to sand the paint off the frame at that location to verify if there is a crack underneath. I have rust on my frame but it is blotchy not in a line. I think I can see three lines on your pic but the rust line to me is the most concerning.
      2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
      2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

Originally posted by ajg617 View Post
        I think the only way you can be sure is to sand the paint off the frame at that location to verify if there is a crack underneath. I have rust on my frame but it is blotchy not in a line. I think I can see three lines on your pic but the rust line to me is the most concerning.
        Ya, I want to wait until warmer temps so after I sand off the paint, I can spray some paint back on to protect it.
        The whitish lines are from a screwdriver if those are the other lines you noticed?

2021 303RLS

Comment

Ya, I want to wait until warmer temps so after I sand off the paint, I can spray some paint back on to protect it.
          The whitish lines are from a screwdriver if those are the other lines you noticed?
          Yep - that didn't bother me - looked like the paint was scratched.
          2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
          2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

Do use a sharp blade to pick at the paint initially until you ascertain if it indeed a crack. Sanding tends to mask small cracks by rolling the metal edges into the crack.
            Ottertail, Minnesota
            2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
            2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

If that is a crack, it is in the brace that LCI welds between the flange and the web of the I Beam chassis frame. This “reinforcement” has proven to be questionable at best because an I Beam web was never intended to take side loads in the first place. Actual frame cracks often occur in the I Beam web directly above this reinforcement. Keep an eye on that area. Since you have the 2x2 below the I Beam, this is a further reinforcement that many rigs do not have.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                If that is a crack, it is in the brace that LCI welds between the flange and the web of the I Beam chassis frame. This “reinforcement” has proven to be questionable at best because an I Beam web was never intended to take side loads in the first place. Actual frame cracks often occur in the I Beam web directly above this reinforcement. Keep an eye on that area. Since you have the 2x2 below the I Beam, this is a further reinforcement that many rigs do not have.

Rob
                Funny you should mention that. There is a spot on the opposite side of the trailer that looks extremely similar....and the first thought that went through my head was "I wonder if there is a cross beam there?"

As to the 2x2 reinforcement...I think that is how they got away from the long 'perfect track' hangers? You probably know better than I.
                2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post

Do use a sharp blade to pick at the paint initially until you ascertain if it indeed a crack. Sanding tends to mask small cracks by rolling the metal edges into the crack.
                  I was kind of wondering about the proper method. I was thinking of a mini-grinder with a wire brush, but if I did that would obliterate signs of a crack. Unless there is some 'not too expensive' dye marker maybe?
                  2021 303RLS

Comment

Funny you should mention that. There is a spot on the opposite side of the trailer that looks extremely similar....and the first thought that went through my head was "I wonder if there is a cross beam there?"

As to the 2x2 reinforcement...I think that is how they got away from the long 'perfect track' hangers? You probably know better than I.
                    Yes . . . the “Correct Track” hangers also accomplished lifting the trailer frame approximately 2” for better clearance over recent production trucks that are taller than they used to be. The 2x2 (some call it a “crush tube” but I am not sure why) came along with the later build shorter hangers.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The 2x2 (some call it a “crush tube” but I am not sure why)

Rob
                      Ha...Not exactly a confidence inspiring nickname...

2021 303RLS

Comment

Yes . . . the “Correct Track” hangers also accomplished lifting the trailer frame approximately 2” for better clearance over recent production trucks that are taller than they used to be. The 2x2 (some call it a “crush tube” but I am not sure why) came along with the later build shorter hangers.

Rob
                        Scott'n'Wendy

I agree with Rob and the others - its a paint crack. However I would keep an eye on the area around the improperly placed gusset plate that I think I see in the upper right corner that transfers the bending load of the flange to the frame web. On my 220RK that where the cracks started. Also check where cross members are welded inside to the web (like tank supports) - you can see signs on the web where the welding was done inside. Look at my 220RK frame crack thread to see examples.

I had trouble figuring out that there were 2-2x2 sub frames there until Rob mentioned it. Makes the stress on the frame web even worse. Question - did Lippert add any welded cross beams in that area?

So for now relax.

Keith

BTW Power weld makes a spray crack checker https://www.zoro.com/powerweld-penet...=&gad_source=1 Be careful this is just for the penetrate can - you need the cleaner and developer too..
                        Magnaflux has a similar product https://www.grainger.com/product/3WU...ce=1&gclsrc=ds again you need the cleaner and developer too.
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Scott'n'Wendy

IHowever I would keep an eye on the area around the improperly placed gusset plate that I think I see in the upper right corner that transfers the bending load of the flange to the frame web.
                          That is the plate around the opening for the slide

2021 303RLS

Comment

That is the plate around the opening for the slide
                            Say What? Can you post a wider view showing the springs and hanger's set up? I' curious of what reinforcement was done to support the double sub frame.
                            Keith
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Say What? Can you post a wider view showing the springs and hanger's set up? I' curious of what reinforcement was done to support the double sub frame.
                              Keith
                              I can take another pic tomorrow...little bit dark now...but there is no extra reinforcement. Just a 2x2 box tube to raise the trailer a bit.
                              2021 303RLS

Comment

Working...
                              X