Forensic follow up on brake failure - 2022 2500RL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forensic follow up on brake failure - 2022 2500RL

A couple weeks ago I posted that a wire had become broken or disconnected at the forward axle. See this thread.

The wire strands broke off right where all the strands were pinched by the quick-splice connector. All three wires were fully in place at the time the connector was assembled.

The problem clearly was lack of any tie-down of the wires and connector, which were allowed to flop in the wind.

I suggest everyone have a look at the wiring on their brakes, and anchor securely as needed, being sure to leave enough wire unsupported to allow for axle movement up and down. The key is to not allow any motion at the connector.

Click image for larger version

Name:	connector 1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	132060

Click image for larger version

Name:	connector 2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	132061
    Ottertail, Minnesota
    2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
    2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

As well as the brakes I fastened the rear jack wiring with zip ties as well. Connectors flopping in the breeze will eventually give you troubles....
    Good post Alex
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 04-15-2024, 05:54 AM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Any motion of those “knife blade” connectors is just asking for them to continue cutting into the wire. Yet another “stationary residential” device that RVIA allows in something that they know is intended to bounce down the road.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I think I'll replace those brake connectors under the trailer this spring. Even if they are secured, the 'scotch lock' type of connector is a very poor choice for an important connection.
        2021 303RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
          I think I'll replace those brake connectors under the trailer this spring. Even if they are secured, the 'scotch lock' type of connector is a very poor choice for an important connection.
          Agreed. I am also going to replace the remaining ones. "Finish designing it for them" as I've often said and done! Not sure what connector style I'll use yet - I may solder and heat shrink them. There isn't a lot of extra wire to work with.
          Ottertail, Minnesota
          2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
          2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post

Agreed. I am also going to replace the remaining ones. "Finish designing it for them" as I've often said and done! Not sure what connector style I'll use yet - I may solder and heat shrink them. There isn't a lot of extra wire to work with.
            Butt splice and heat shrink for me. I put silicone in there before sliding the heat shrink over the connection.

"Finish designing it for them"....I have considered purchasing a trailer more of a 'starter kit'....and you get to finish it yourself...lol
            2021 303RLS

Comment

Working...
            X