Today's update on frame issues and sourcing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crespro View Post

Comment by Changing Lanes RV -- They are not paid by Grand Design for their comment:

"Frame issues are very rare, with less than 1% of fifth wheels over 17K GVWR (not all fifth wheels) having a problem. A very small fraction of a small subset of fifth wheels out there. That information was directly from Lippert via JD's video. We don't know what percentage of fifth wheels on the road are over 17K GVWR, but we would guess it's a small percentage. If we can find solid numbers on this, we will update this post. But we think it's a small fraction (1/100) of another small fraction. But, as tends to happen on social media, a few loud voices (and those who pile on) tend to make the issue seem more widespread than it is."

That said, there are several potential steps to reduce your risk of a frame problem.

1. Bracing -- Install X Factor braces to increase the rigidity of your frame, especially against torsional strain.
    2. Airbags -- Metal tends to fatigue and welds tend to break over millions of vibrations. Airbags on the rear axle soften the sharp blows of bumps and reduce the impact on the frame.

Charles
    Please clarify #2. Is that airbags on the rear RV axle or on the truck ? would Timbrens or Sumo Springs do the same thing ? I ask as I am about to add the Roadmaster shocks & X-Factor braces on our 3 axle 397TH.
    As to the percentage of RV's with frame problems I would like to see data on type of hitch on each broken frame. What's % of these broken frames using air ride hitch is something I would like to know. ?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

And I hope you are happy when you leave.
      And repairs are done. Picking it up Tuesday. Have no idea what they have done but I do want written confirmation that the TSB has been addressed. It's sitting outside so I guess it really is done. One week instead of 2-3 they said they might need.
      2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
      2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

Comment

Originally posted by ajg617 View Post
        One week instead of 2-3 they said they might need.
        Well...seems good on the face of it. Make sure ALL of your concerns are addressed.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by poohbear View Post
          Please clarify #2. Is that airbags on the rear RV axle or on the truck ? would Timbrens or Sumo Springs do the same thing ? I ask as I am about to add the Roadmaster shocks & X-Factor braces on our 3 axle 397TH.
          As to the percentage of RV's with frame problems I would like to see data on type of hitch on each broken frame. What's % of these broken frames using air ride hitch is something I would like to know. ?
          Yes, the airbags are on the F-250 rear axle. I use 40 PSI. I think Chad used 45 PSI when he had airbags on his F-350 and pulled a Momentum. You are asking good questions. Perhaps one of the moderators has experience with Timbrens or Sumo Springs and can offer a comparison.

I suspect there are few data points on the type of hitch. My best guess is that the toy haulers are using normal fifth wheel hitches. As I noted, I think the major stress is on the back axle, hanger and bushing. I have seen two or three posts on toy haulers with broken rear hanger brackets. I think the X Factor braces will substantially reduce your risk.

I also carry a spare set of wet bolts and bottle jacks with saddles. I hope I never need to use them!

Best,

Charles.
          2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

Originally posted by Crespro View Post

I also carry a spare set of wet bolts and bottle jacks with saddles. I hope I never need to use them!

Best,

Charles.
            As long as you have them with you..you won't need them. But if you ever forget them at home.......

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            2021 303RLS
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I had TImbrens on my previous truck, Chevy 3500 single wheel. Towing or not the ride was harsh when using the bumps in the roads which made for a sharp stop in the suspension. They went with the truck when traded. I have thought about air bags but have got mixed opinions on that subject, I have a thread here somewhere.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
              X