Wet bolt vs Neverfail bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet bolt vs Neverfail bushings

Since I will be visiting the Lippert facility this Friday for annual bearing maintenance and to get the V Clips installed, I was wondering about the bushings. I do grease the wet bolts as required and now have 2 that won’t take grease and will have to be replaced. Looking at maybe replacing all the wet bolts with the Neverfail bushings that don’t require grease or maintenance.

Any opinion or experience with one vs the other?

Vivian
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Vivian

I do not have any experience with the never fail bushings. I have had experience with items that claim "warranty forever", "extended life" and so on. These items generally do not last much longer than some of the parts that I have replaced. The bushings on the leaf springs of any kind on a trailer will generally be very thin wall material. This material could be brass, bronze , or even plastic (yuck). With the thin wall it will not take much of traveling to wear thru the wall , this wall thickness is generally around 1/16". Another factor is the spring eye itself. The eye , where the bushing is placed , is rolled to form the circle. I have seen plenty of these that are not round. This will allow the bushing to deform. Just a little info.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Cate&Rob - I think Rob has some past experience with the Never Fail bushings. Rob?

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Beachcamper
        Hi Vivian,

I tried "Never Fail" bushings . . . on my way to eventually installing a MORryde heavy duty shackle, bronze bushing and wet bolt kit.

I bought the Never Fail bushing kit at a Grand Design Rally, directly from LCI. Got home and found that the only place these bushings would fit was in the spring eyes but they deformed because the spring eyes are not perfectly round (as Brian describes). The LCI bushings would not fit any location in the LCI equalizer. In the one year that I ran these in the spring eyes, they did appear to be a much tougher plastic than the original nylon.

I would recommend the MORryde kit. It comes with the wet bolts fitted to the shackle plates with the grease holes at random angles. These have to be pushed out and reoriented with grease holes at 3 or 9 o'clock to avoid the problem that you have now with not being able to get grease in. These shackle plates are more than twice as thick as OE, so require the longer bolts that come with the kit. I did advise MORryde that they should pay more attention to bolt orientation, but never heard back, so I expect that nothing has changed.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks guys, I will then continue with the stock bushings and Wet bolts. From my visual inspection the shackles and equalizer are holding up we have 8k miles on it so will have them look at condition of the bushings and replace any if needed. Also, change out the 2 bolts not taking grease.

eventually, I will replace shackles with the MorRyde kit but still not convinced their equalizer is any better than the Equaflex.

I also saw a kit for shock absorbers, what is your opinion on those?
          Vivian
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
            Thanks guys, I will then continue with the stock bushings and Wet bolts. From my visual inspection the shackles and equalizer are holding up we have 8k miles on it so will have them look at condition of the bushings and replace any if needed. Also, change out the 2 bolts not taking grease.

eventually, I will replace shackles with the MorRyde kit but still not convinced their equalizer is any better than the Equaflex.

I also saw a kit for shock absorbers, what is your opinion on those?
            I see one primary difference that makes the MorRyde equalizer more beneficial to me. On the MorRyde, you can inspect the rubber components from the side of the trailer without having to remove the suspension components. On the EquaFlex, you must disassemble the suspension, remove and disassemble the equalizer to see if it's worn.

Here is a photo of my 2014 Equaflex after disassembly. this is how far you need to take it down for a thorough inspection:

Click image for larger version

Name:	EquaFlex.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	20514

On this photo of the MorRyde equalizer, you can see the rubber components without any disassembly at all.

Name:	DSC_0736.JPG
Views:	846
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	20515

Here are the inspection criteria for the MorRyde:

Name:	CRE3000.JPG
Views:	841
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	20516

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I see one primary difference that makes the MorRyde equalizer more beneficial to me. On the MorRyde, you can inspect the rubber components from the side of the trailer without having to remove the suspension components. On the EquaFlex, you must disassemble the suspension, remove and disassemble the equalizer to see if it's worn.

Here is a photo of my 2014 Equaflex after disassembly. this is how far you need to take it down for a thorough inspection:

Name:	EquaFlex.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	20514

On this photo of the MorRyde equalizer, you can see the rubber components without any disassembly at all.

Name:	DSC_0736.JPG
Views:	846
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	20515

Here are the inspection criteria for the MorRyde:

Name:	CRE3000.JPG
Views:	841
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	20516

Jim
              Hi Jim,

Did you find that the MorRyde equalizer increased the height of your trailer?

Thanks,
              Rob
              Rob & Barb
              2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
              2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

Hi Jim,

Did you find that the MorRyde equalizer increased the height of your trailer?

Thanks,
                Rob
                Rob - I didn't measure, and I no longer have an Equaflex available to calculate any differences. Sorry.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Rob - I didn't measure, and I no longer have an Equaflex available to calculate any differences. Sorry.

Jim
                  Thanks Jim,

Appreciate the response.

Rob
                  Rob & Barb
                  2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                  2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Just left rig at Lippert they will do the V Clips on all hangers then span 2 X 2 from behind rear hangers to further box them in. Another 2 x 2 is spanned at front hangers. They won’t do middle because of water tank location (Welded). He advised to keep the wetbolts throughout. So all new wetbolts and new bushings if needed. Equalizer still looks good but he will take it apart to verify. Will be adding the Lippert upgrade shackles save me a trip to MorRyde. Other than the annual bearing maintenance I think all is good to go out west now.

Name:	2C8E6039-5818-413D-A42D-7DB93C4F1482.jpeg
Views:	773
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	43409

Last edited by Beachcamper; 02-20-2021, 09:33 AM.
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Demco Recon

Comment

What Lippert Facility is doing this work? I know there is a Lippert Facility on Ct Rd 2, on the other side of the red light by GD, and wondering if this is the place.

FYI. I talked to Lippert, and there opinion is, "unless a hanger breaks/cracks, not to add the V Clip. I, feel it is a needed item. I rather be pro-active then re-active.
                      I, most likely will get mine done by a remote welder on my own. Also, good to know on not to do the "center one's" due to the tank location.
                      Steve
                      2018 Reflection 303
                      2023 F350 Lariat, 4 x 4 CCSB.
                      Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	B2A3BDF5-1B0F-4FCB-B8DF-BC34E9D0DB6C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	84.0 KB ID:	20670Click image for larger version  Name:	FD16AC4C-4CEF-412E-978E-A832F30F1005.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	65.3 KB ID:	20669 Steve, I have been bringing my rig here since they did my disc brakes at the GD rally. Their price for the Annual bearing maintenance Is comparable to my dealer. We are here to visit family so use the facility at 1701 Century Dr. Goshen, IN 46528

At last service in July of 2019, they did a suspension check. When my hanger busted, they paid all of the repair in full and are redoing the hanger (botched by mobile repair) at no cost. I am happy with the service here they are professional and photograph all steps to issue a full report when done. Show all parts replaced if needed.

Vivian
                        Vivian
                        2018 Reflection 303rls
                        Demco Recon

Comment

Down in Goshen. Okay. I was wondering what Lippert Plant they did this repair at.

Steve
                          2018 Reflection 303
                          Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Name:	43FC0AEC-47AB-4F23-856C-EF2185CB17CF.jpeg
Views:	1111
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	20689Click image for larger version

Name:	C56FBB42-690B-4D6F-A996-008BBCAD8D4A.jpeg
Views:	1121
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	20690Click image for larger version

Name:	CDCB931B-2321-4355-A3DA-00D08ACAB94C.jpeg
Views:	1104
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	20691Click image for larger version

Name:	A7BA1514-B4D1-42D4-A75B-355C5A7A3CF0.jpeg
Views:	1139
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	20692 Work is done waiting for the bill I am sure it will be memorable.

New equalizer is bigger than stock, should have been from the beginning according to specs.

welded metal spans at all hangers after he opened part of the underbelly to take a look and freshwater tank can be removed and replaced with center support.

Bearings done and new bushings and wetbolts through out.
                            Vivian
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

Name:	43FC0AEC-47AB-4F23-856C-EF2185CB17CF.jpeg
Views:	1111
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	20689Click image for larger version

Name:	C56FBB42-690B-4D6F-A996-008BBCAD8D4A.jpeg
Views:	1121
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	20690Click image for larger version

Name:	CDCB931B-2321-4355-A3DA-00D08ACAB94C.jpeg
Views:	1104
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	20691Click image for larger version

Name:	A7BA1514-B4D1-42D4-A75B-355C5A7A3CF0.jpeg
Views:	1139
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	20692 Work is done waiting for the bill I am sure it will be memorable.

New equalizer is bigger than stock, should have been from the beginning according to specs.

welded metal spans at all hangers after he opened part of the underbelly to take a look and freshwater tank can be removed and replaced with center support.

Bearings done and new bushings and wetbolts through out.

Nice! I wonder what the cost isto have my 5er done. Any idea's? Or if you have name/number for contact.
                              Steve
                              2018 Reflection 303
                              Diesel, Star White.

Comment

Working...
                              X