Rear Axle Spring Hanger Broke off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webpilot View Post

I am disappointed that my 2020 Solitude 380 FL does not have the V-Clips nor wet bots in the spring eyes.

George
    Depending on when your 2020 was built would determine if you had the v-clips or not. It should have wet bolts though the grease fittings will be on the inside not the tire side.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by webpilot View Post

I am disappointed that my 2020 Solitude 380 FL does not have the V-Clips nor wet bots in the spring eyes.

George
      Hi George (BTW, congrats on the new Solitude FL . . . that’s quite a step up!)
      I can understand your disappointment in the suspension content, but we all know the build variation from one unit to the next.
      You might try contacting Grand Design directly for an appointment at the factory service center to upgrade your 2020! to “current” production content. These parts are relatively easy to add. Grand Design will likely have the LCI techs come to their service center to do this or send the trailer over to LCI.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Depending on when your 2020 was built would determine if you had the v-clips or not. It should have wet bolts though the grease fittings will be on the inside not the tire side.

Brian
        Thanks Brian, It is new to us, originally purchased in October last year, so almost out of the one year Grand Design warranty and the chassis warranty does not transfer to second owner. There are wet bots on the shackles and the Eaua-Flex, but none in the spring eyes on the spring ends that are in the spring hangers.

Thanksk
        George

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi George (BTW, congrats on the new Solitude FL . . . that’s quite a step up!)
          I can understand your disappointment in the suspension content, but we all know the build variation from one unit to the next.
          You might try contacting Grand Design directly for an appointment at the factory service center to upgrade your 2020! to “current” production content. These parts are relatively easy to add. Grand Design will likely have the LCI techs come to their service center to do this or send the trailer over to LCI.

Rob
          Thanks Rob,

Unfortunately life circumstances prevent us from traveling that far East any more, so I will have to get upgrades done locally. We are headed to Arizona in a couple of weeks, so I will see if I can find a good frame shop down there to add the V-Clips and wet bolts. We did have a right rear spring hanger break off the Reflection 337 this spring. So far I don't see any cracks on the spring hangers of the Solitude.

Still have a 2014 Reflection 337 for sale if anyone is interested.

Thanks,
          George

Comment

Originally posted by 303 Living View Post
            Has anyone had this happen?
            We got home from a camping trip today, noticed the right rear axle looked out of place after investigation we found that the rear spring hanger on the right hand side for the rear axle was broken off the frame.
            Same thing happened to our 2 year old 303rls. Rear drivers side bracket. Ruined two tires, replaced all 4 tires today and found a welder that came to our location and welded the bracket and used extra steel for reinforcement. Welder suggested having the other brackets reinforced as soon as we get back home, Ours did break at the weld, not the bend in the metal but it did shear off the bracket at the welds. Very poor welds according to the welder. Very happy with our 303rls but things like this put us in a bind to find help to fix it, especially on the weekends in small towns around the country.

Comment

kz0m

A broken/failed weld between hanger and frame has not been an issue. There are many pictures of a hanger break adjacent to the weld. Do you have pictures of the broken weld on your 303RLS?

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Another rear hanger failure. LCI needs the V Clips at a minimum on the rear hangers of the heavier rigs. And especially with the use of disc brakes.

Jim

Comment

kz0m

A broken/failed weld between hanger and frame has not been an issue. There are many pictures of a hanger break adjacent to the weld. Do you have pictures of the broken weld on your 303RLS?

Rob
                  Hi Rob, I did not take a picture of the break, unfortunately. What I saw was a break on both sides along the weld, after reading more here, I believe this was a case of metal fatigue that snapped along the weld. The rest of the top of the bracket stayed welded to the frame so most likely, it was a fatigue of the metal that caused the break. I took pictures of the tires and what they looked like but kicked myself for not taking pictures of the bracket. Our trip is 7 weeks long and we’ve had many rough paved roads and where bridges meet the pavement, some places, big gaps. Again, I believe metal fatigue caused the break. I will have a welder add metal to both sides of the other 3 hanging brackets just for piece of mind, thanks Rob for getting back to me, Carl

Comment

kz0m

Hi Carl,

Your further description fits exactly with what has happened to many other 303s . . . including mine! There is a reinforcement strategy that works. Called “V braces” or “V clips”. There is a lot of information on this forum about these, that you should be able to find with the search tool in the upper right corner. There is a right and a wrong way to install these. What may seem logical to a welding shop is not correct. These reinforcements are standard on Solitude, following the welding process devised by the chassis manufacturer. If you can’t find these discussions, let me know and I will send you some links.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

kz0m

Hi Carl,

Your further description fits exactly with what has happened to many other 303s . . . including mine! There is a reinforcement strategy that works. Called “V braces” or “V clips”. There is a lot of information on this forum about these, that you should be able to find with the search tool in the upper right corner. There is a right and a wrong way to install these. What may seem logical to a welding shop is not correct. These reinforcements are standard on Solitude, following the welding process devised by the chassis manufacturer. If you can’t find these discussions, let me know and I will send you some links.

Rob
                      Thank you Rob! Carl

Comment

kz0m

Hi Carl,

Rob
                        Rob, just curious, have these bracket reports just been on the rear brackets? Any reports of any front or middle brackets? Thank you for the help, I have the “V” block information which will be helpful for the welder.

Carl

Comment

kz0m
                          Hi Carl,

I have seen pictures of a broken front hanger, but I am not aware of a broken centre hanger. Fatigue break of the rear hanger is most common. This is due (at least in part) to the geometry of the suspension. A twin axle suspension with the axles mounted below the springs actually lifts the front axle during braking, putting most of the load through the rear hanger.

The important part of welding in the V clips is to only weld to the hanger on one inner side and one outer side. (Plus both ends at the frame rail) This will not be intuitive to most welders. The reason for this is the sloppy fit between hanger, spring bushing and bolt. The hanger has to flex enough for the nut to come up against the shoulder of the bolt. If the hanger is "boxed" by welding the reinforcement to both sides of the hanger, the nut may reach torque against the hanger rather than the bolt shoulder and the motion of the suspension may loosen the nut.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Heat affected zone is another reason to not weld in the V Clip fully. If welded in at all contact points, the heat affected zone is shared at the mid section of the hanger rather than being solely at the root. If the V Clip is welded in properly it will not weaken the hanger but will support it.

It may also be helpful to add the Morryde X Factor bracket to the center hanger since the highest lateral forces are found there. Not seen one break there but the video I captured of the center hanger is jaw opening. LOL

Nothing is needed on the front hangers but some will add V Clips to all hangers for added confidence.

Jim

Comment

kz0m
                              Hi Carl,

I have seen pictures of a broken front hanger, but I am not aware of a broken centre hanger. Fatigue break of the rear hanger is most common. This is due (at least in part) to the geometry of the suspension. A twin axle suspension with the axles mounted below the springs actually lifts the front axle during braking, putting most of the load through the rear hanger.

The important part of welding in the V clips is to only weld to the hanger on one inner side and one outer side. (Plus both ends at the frame rail) This will not be intuitive to most welders. The reason for this is the sloppy fit between hanger, spring bushing and bolt. The hanger has to flex enough for the nut to come up against the shoulder of the bolt. If the hanger is "boxed" by welding the reinforcement to both sides of the hanger, the nut may reach torque against the hanger rather than the bolt shoulder and the motion of the suspension may loosen the nut.

Rob
                              Rob, I had not even thought about the braking issue with the front spring lifting up while the back being pushed down. This makes a lot of sense to me. I’ve decided to take the rig in when I get back with the dimensions of the V clip and the information about where the welds should be. I’ll feel more confident once this is completed, thank you and Jim for the information, I did notice the rig tracked correctly when we brought her back from the new tires and welding on Monday, it was 15 miles back to the rv camp where we are in Colorado and tracking looked just like it did before the bracket issue, thank you again! Carl

Comment

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago. Lippert added V Clips and because I could not add the MorRyde braces, Lippert welded 2 x 2 crossmembers as described in this thread

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...0656#post20656
                                Vivian
                                2018 Reflection 303rls
                                Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                                Demco Recon

Comment

Working...
                                X