Does Michelin make trailer tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post

Ummm...that was me on the potty and it was a semi parked next to me.

From Oct 2018 (you have quite the memory, Jim!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	1018.JPG
Views:	726
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	34604
    Lol. Well it was a good story, so it stuck with me.

Somewhere I also remember someone writing about his spare exploding where I've evidentially mixed up the two stories. I've heard a few semi tires explode and it had to sound like a stick of dynamite while in the facility.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Lol. Well it was a good story, so it stuck with me.

Somewhere I also remember someone writing about his spare exploding where I've evidentially mixed up the two stories. I've heard a few semi tires explode and it had to sound like a stick of dynamite while in the facility.

Jim
      My father in-law had a truck repair shop on interstate 80 for quite a few years. I had the pleasure of spending time there where I learned quite a few things , another hat that I wear. I also was fortunate to see the damage of an exploding truck tire , big rig trucks , while on a truck as well as in the garage. Trust me when I say you do not want to be around any tire exploding , bit tires for certain , they will wreck everything in there path and people are no exception.
      I trust that my spare Westlake tire will be fine , but now you may be convincing me to worry , just a little.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Another way at this is to get a matching road wheel for your spare tire. Then, you can use a 5 tire rotation when rotating trailer tires and/or keep the most worn tire as your spare.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

My father in-law had a truck repair shop on interstate 80 for quite a few years. I had the pleasure of spending time there where I learned quite a few things , another hat that I wear. I also was fortunate to see the damage of an exploding truck tire , big rig trucks , while on a truck as well as in the garage. Trust me when I say you do not want to be around any tire exploding , bit tires for certain , they will wreck everything in there path and people are no exception.
          I trust that my spare Westlake tire will be fine , but now you may be convincing me to worry , just a little.

Brian
          Brian,

In another career long ago I wrenched on those trucks but we had a tire service where guys would come in and work on making repairs in a tire cage. Crazy to see them pounding on the split rims while airing up those tires as well as front end loader tires. I moved way back.

For the spare I did not trust what was available to me even for a short run so I sold it with the other four.

Jim

Comment

I hate trailer tires. This is just a rant. Maxxis, Marathon, Endurance, Westlake; they are all about the same. I have a 5 y/o 303 that came with 15 inch rims, and it seems they will go about two years then go bad, either blow out or belts separate. Apparently, they just can’t take the heat of a southern states summer. I am meticulous with maintaining tire pressures. I will give the Endurance tires credit with keeping air pressure when nitrogen filled. But yesterday in Texas, @68 MPH, 95 degrees, one blew out, another belt separation, and the Westlake spare used once with <100 miles also suffered belt separation.(I carry two spares) In another career, I maintain 5 cargo trailers that traveled all over Louisiana and as soon as it started to get hot, I started replacing tires. I just wish, for once, I could wear out a set of tires. In order to maintain my travel schedule, I had to replace 3 tires at Walmart on Sunday with some brand I had not heard of as all tire shops were closed in Amarillo. I guess I’ll just die my hair blue, and set the cruse on 60. As I said, this is a rant. I hate trailer tires.

Comment

Originally posted by tubastew View Post
              I hate trailer tires. This is just a rant. Maxxis, Marathon, Endurance, Westlake; they are all about the same. I have a 5 y/o 303 that came with 15 inch rims, and it seems they will go about two years then go bad, either blow out or belts separate. Apparently, they just can’t take the heat of a southern states summer. I am meticulous with maintaining tire pressures. I will give the Endurance tires credit with keeping air pressure when nitrogen filled. But yesterday in Texas, @68 MPH, 95 degrees, one blew out, another belt separation, and the Westlake spare used once with <100 miles also suffered belt separation.(I carry two spares) In another career, I maintain 5 cargo trailers that traveled all over Louisiana and as soon as it started to get hot, I started replacing tires. I just wish, for once, I could wear out a set of tires. In order to maintain my travel schedule, I had to replace 3 tires at Walmart on Sunday with some brand I had not heard of as all tire shops were closed in Amarillo. I guess I’ll just die my hair blue, and set the cruse on 60. As I said, this is a rant. I hate trailer tires.
              LOL. I live in Arizona and I concur 100% about the heat being a trailer tire's enemy. I can never make it more than two years without a failure. I run with a TPMS, so I know that the pressures are okay. I've had both Westlakes and Endurance failures where the tire remained fully inflated but either the cap came off, or a bubble the size of a softball formed. So count me in the "I hate trailer tires" group.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Small.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	64157Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	64158

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

tubastew

Definitely a good rant! The key take-away for anyone reading this is that tire brand doesn't matter when towing in these conditions.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by tubastew View Post
                  IF you can get 17.5-inch rims on your rig consider these Continental Heavy Trailer Tires

Big Truck Big RV installed these on his new 5er.
                  This is a Heavy Trailer Long Haul tire. It has Low rolling resistance compound provides excellent fuel economy at cool operating temperatures.
                  Mike & Lisa
                  Central Florida
                  2021 Imagine 2970RL
                  1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Working...
                  X