X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sumo springs revisited - new higher rated set out

Sumo springs has a new unit out for heavier axle trailers
    https://www.supersprings.com/shop/tss-107-47/

These are rated at 1000 lbs verses the 500 lbs for these that most folks have used to date.
    https://www.supersprings.com/shop/tss-107-40/

My current axles are 4400LB so I am on the high end for the TSS 107-40 unit. Loaded unit weights are well withing the stock GD spring ratings.

I just had a nice conversation with the folks, My use is for a bumper stop to prevent tire contact with the trailer. With my 16" upgrade I will be right at 3" clearance from tire to floor. I currently have 3.5" to 4" The supersprings folks thought the TSS 107-47 might better suite my needs. They would compress less then the blue model.

I also want to take some of the rocking and bounce out of the trailer. I have read the good reports on the blue model TSS 107-40. I also understand they reduce trailer rocking when stationary too, and soften the ride during travel. From looking at the installation on the spring perch they should not increase the stress on the trailer suspension or trailer frame.

Thoughts from the experts? I would love to hear from GD too on this topic and their thoughts. Would a moderator consider asking GD?

Thanks
    Keith
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 11-16-2020, 02:37 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Very interesting Keith. I'm thinking that the dampening feature might be nice to have when I head to Alaska next summer.

I would ask GDRV about them, but typically, they will not have a position on aftermarket items.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
      I also want to take some of the rocking and bounce out of the trailer.
      Hi Keith,

How are you determining that you have this “rock and bounce” situation that needs remedy? (I understand the tire to body clearance, but that is a separate concern).

When I was seriously considering adding dampers (shocks), I watched the motion of the trailer in my mirror, but could not see any extended sinusoidal response to road inputs. So, I got Cate to video the motion of the trailer in her mirror for an extended period of time so that I could examine this more carefully. There is no more than one jounce and rebound cycle to any road input.

Side-to-side rocking is something that I can see. Back when I was messing with matching spring strength to load being carried, I would watch the trailer always falling to the left (driver’s) side after every road impact because this is the “heavy” side of a 303. Once I strengthen the springs on the heavy side, the trailer would “bobble” equally to the right or the left depending on the side of the road impact. I take this to mean that the suspension is now correctly balanced side-to-side. You do raise an interesting question as to whether I could (or should) dampen this side-to-side motion.

Rob

Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Yoda

Keith,

Which type did they recommend? Constant contact or contact under heavy load or input? My Imagine had 3 inches of clearance in a semi loaded mode where I had seen witness marks on the floor. With 4.25" in the same mode today, there are no more concerns.

I would like to install dampers on my rig and am wondering if inserts in the approx 0.24 square channel would provide the needed tensile strength. The channel is so thin I cannot use the self tapping bolts that the shock company tells me is ok. I have video of an underdamped response on my rig and without the camera under the rig I'm thinking I would not have caught it. With the GoPro mounted under the rear bumper, it picked up on this movement relative to the axles. Any thoughts from the group on the inserts?

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Thr...al&sr=1-4&th=1

Jim

Last edited by Guest; 11-16-2020, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          Yoda

Keith,

Which type did they recommend? Constant contact or contact under heavy load or input? My Imagine had 3 inches of clearance in a semi loaded mode where I had seen witness marks on the floor. With 4.25" in the same mode today, there are no more concerns.

I would like to install dampers on my rig and am wondering if inserts in the approx 0.24 square channel would provide the needed tensile strength. The channel is so thin I cannot use the self tapping bolts that the shock company tells me is ok. I have video of an underdamped response on my rig and without the camera under the rig I'm thinking I would not have caught it. With the GoPro mounted under the rear bumper, it picked up on this movement relative to the axles. Any thoughts from the group on the inserts?

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Thr...al&sr=1-4&th=1

Jim

Jim - Sumo Springs are constant contact. They have a 1/2" preload on them. when installed per the instructions. From the instructions they don't say anything about suspension modifications being necessary. I just need to move (offset) my LP line and they include a bracket to do that. There are several other threads here and over at the other place on them. However no one has installed the heavier duty units yet.

Cate&Rob
          On rough roads and washboard I get a side to side oscillation - not much, but it is there. On rough concrete I sometimes get a bounce for and aft. You know the timing of the expansion joints. Nothing big. The videos on them sure show they seem to quiet down the suspension movement. Trailer Life review was good too. Ill see if I can find the video again.

The other comment was the trailer does not rock as much when walking inside (not set up).

Still reading up. So far nothing negative has been posted that I had read.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith,

Not important but the sumo's can be purchased and used as jounce type and in constant contact versions too.

BillinTexas uses the the non contact versions on his TV to maintain his unloaded ride quality. To smooth out the roll and bouncing that you mentioned, the constant contact may help.

Bump stop or jounce bumper example

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...C3&FORM=VDRVRV

Constant Contact versions. Notice how etrailer is setting these up with the equalizer shackles inverted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q78JozDdfN8

Very interested in your feedback in how well these perform.

Jim
            Last edited by Guest; 11-16-2020, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Update - I have 2 sets of the heavier 47 model sumo springs on order (link in post #1 above). They are having a 20% off sale today (Black Friday)

Comment

Working...
              X