Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Undersized axles on Momentum 320G or just poor design?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will check out the links. Thanks for posting.

I was thinking last night. What are the chances that Moryde would be willing to put the axles a little further back for better balance? I checked under and there are no obstructions. The rear blank tank outlet would be close to the rear tire, but it's so high that it would be easy to extend past the rear jack. Since they cut off the OEM suspension and weld box steel in, I would think that would be easy to accomplish. Aside from "altering [poor] oem design" I think this would be a good solution.

Cutting the wheel openings further back would be easy to accomplish. I would just have to replace the skirts in front with solid pieces. Maybe Grand Design could help figure out what would work and how far back the wheels can be placed.

Edit: They said they wouldn't do it.... Maybe Grand Design can give them the nudge.
    Last edited by RoyB; 07-11-2022, 10:37 AM.
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyB View Post
      What are the chances that Moryde would be willing to put the axles a little further back for better balance?
      An email to MORryde won't cost anything...worth your time to ask IMO.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

So I see Nitro has a very similar model now. The XLR Nitro 321. Identical floor layout and looks like the same length. Look how far back the wheels are. Granted the unit isn't as nicely appointed as the 320G, I assume it would tow and load better. I think GD should be repairing our trailers by moving the axles back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	62874547ffd0ef09de11350a.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	89586
        Exactly.

Carbon 338 has 1 less bathroom and 1 less slide and is 4" shorter, but the wheels are 14" closer to the rear bumper!

Grand Design 349/351 has wheels same relation to rear bumper, yet front is 2.5' longer!

I notice every 5er on the road now and not of them look like the wheels are in the middle of the trailer like our 320Gs.
        2021 320G 3 Awnings, Patio Kit, 3 Season Doors, 3 ACs, Upgraded Stereo, 400 Watt Solar, Chins 300 mah Lithium Smart Battery, Progressive Dynamics 60A Converter
        2022 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB w/ Air
        SOLD 2019 F-350 XLT CCLB B&W Companion Hitch, Airlift Air Bags, Upgraded F/R Sway Bars, Leveled on 34s.
        2020 KTM 250 XC-f, 2019 KTM 300 XC, 2021 GasGas EX250f, 2021 KTM 125 XC, 2021 Kawi KLX140f/g

Comment

• I specifically asked the head guy I had a conversation with at GD about moving the axles back and he said "No Way!" I said I've heard you've done it for others and he said in the past on a few travel trailers, never on a Toy Hauler or 320G and they would not...

Dealer and I looked at it one of the many times I took it in and he was figuring a lot of work for them having to order blank siding and cut and shape. I'm still certain it's a balance issue after my latest trip. You can only move so much stuff around! And the Pin varies little.
          2021 320G 3 Awnings, Patio Kit, 3 Season Doors, 3 ACs, Upgraded Stereo, 400 Watt Solar, Chins 300 mah Lithium Smart Battery, Progressive Dynamics 60A Converter
          SOLD 2019 F-350 XLT CCLB B&W Companion Hitch, Airlift Air Bags, Upgraded F/R Sway Bars, Leveled on 34s.
          2020 KTM 250 XC-f, 2019 KTM 300 XC, 2021 GasGas EX250f, 2021 KTM 125 XC, 2021 Kawi KLX140f/g

Comment

• I installed the Reese Goose Box (added 100lbs to Front)
            Adjusted Pin Box to 7" front/6" rear of bed with airbag in middle
            Used Alt Trailer Height on Ram (lowered 1")
            Trailer was slightly nose high in the front, but noticeably less than before
            Had about 400+ less lbs in the garage

Trip up lots of traffic so couldn't tell much but porpusing was muted and sway seemed a bit less, but could induce it easily.

Trip home yesterday and what I notice from lightly more level and more Pin Weight

- Less tugging of the trailer side to side trying to sway
            - Less overall sway, though I could easily induce or after a quick lane change you'd get a little
            - Big difference on expansion joints over overpasses, It would bump pretty good, but it didn't slam the truck and was less abrupt
            - Considerably less chucking and bucking

I think the air bag and shocks on the Reese Goose Box really dampen the bouncing of the trailer being too balance and the extra 100 lbs added helps add to Pin weight. Be interested how it tows with 4 dirt bikes again. Like this it's far from perfect, but manageable. I'm just worried with the extra weight in the back again it will still sway? So for GDs bad design I've spent a year of testing, 1700 on a hitch and 300 on a gooseball to band-aid just part of the issue...

Next I'm thinking SRE4000s to lift it slightly (as GD suggested I do on my own dime...) and dampen the ride a bit AND/OR Sumo Springs which I think will help the sway a lot by not letting the tall trailer waddle side to side so much.

GD still want's the local dealer to drive my trailer and see for themselves, but I think with some of the fixes already done they're gonna say it's not an issue AND with the Goosebox they don't have a truck to tow it. They ain't using mine!

Comment

• It's a shame GD can't admit a design error. How did yours tow with the new hitch setup.
              2020 GD 320G
              2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

• It is a shame GD gave the 320G great hauling specs only to find out if you are near gross weight with gas and water and Can AM in the rear only to find pin weight is very low. I pack everything I can on the bed in the front storage trying to get some pin weight. I now carry 30 gallons water instead of filling it. I did put Timbren style rubber springs between the axle and frame to hopefully help the springs from taking such abuse from being at or overweight on axles that are to light for the 320G when loaded. The 8k axle option was not available when I ordered mine. I do strongly believe the axles need to go back further to improve pin weight and better balance.

Comment

• Originally posted by espayne View Post
                  It is a shame GD gave the 320G great hauling specs only to find out if you are near gross weight with gas and water and Can AM in the rear only to find pin weight is very low. I pack everything I can on the bed in the front storage trying to get some pin weight. I now carry 30 gallons water instead of filling it. I did put Timbren style rubber springs between the axle and frame to hopefully help the springs from taking such abuse from being at or overweight on axles that are to light for the 320G when loaded. The 8k axle option was not available when I ordered mine. I do strongly believe the axles need to go back further to improve pin weight and better balance.
                  Let us know when how the Timbrens work out and possibly a part number? I was debating the Sumo Springs for the same reason as I've heard they help tremendously with sway and some porpusing. I would have ordered already, but have been debating the SRE4000 center link to as it's supposed to smooth out the ride and raise the rig 1/2"-1.5"

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...roductdetails=

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...tl/SS26MV.html

Comment

• These are the ones that I have installed now not Timbrens. https://www.superspringsinternationa...op/TSS-107-47/ I do believe sway has been improved when loaded as I am now cruising the highway at 67 mph with a stable RV even being passed with semis. It has done nothing for the lack of pin weight on the bed of the truck when it gets chucking over certain bumps.

Comment

• Originally posted by espayne View Post
                      These are the ones that I have installed now not Timbrens. https://www.superspringsinternationa...op/TSS-107-47/ I do believe sway has been improved when loaded as I am now cruising the highway at 67 mph with a stable RV even being passed with semis. It has done nothing for the lack of pin weight on the bed of the truck when it gets chucking over certain bumps.
                      Same one's I attached as well, I'm glad to hear they made a difference, maybe I'll install those before considering the SRE4000s then!

Biggest reason I was considering SREs was the lift you get out of them w/o having to make major modifications or weaken all the shackles (buddy just snapped one on our trip home last Sunday and made us do some creative modifications to get him home. LOL) My trailer with the truck in Alt Tow Mode still has a slight front high angle (probably 2, maybe 3" max front to back total. In full height mode I have dragged my rear on tight uphill corners multiple times scrapping up the metal on the corners and breaking the plastic trim.

Comment

• See a lot of failures with the SRE4000s as I research more, especially being at max 7000 lbs.

Ordered Sumo Springs, but they are backordered everywhere, hopefully have them by the end of the month.

Comment

• So I just made an appointment for the IS with Morryde. After trying to grease the wet bolts and have an issue with the 2 rear ones, it is clear this isn't a good design. Plus the outside bolts aren't greaseable for whatever reason. Coming home this weekend the camper was squeaking pretty bad. Had to be from all the suspension components or something broke under there.

Going with 8K axles so I don't have to worry about capacity. Also going to disk because I had a couple times this weekend where everyone just came to a halting stop and people would shoot in front of me because I had a lot of space for stopping. You can't win. You leave room to cover yourself and everyone just cuts in front.

Scheduled for March, but since we are close I got put on a short list, which is 2 days or less notice if someone cancels.
                          2020 GD 320G
                          2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

So I just made an appointment for the IS with Morryde. After trying to grease the wet bolts and have an issue with the 2 rear ones, it is clear this isn't a good design. Plus the outside bolts aren't greaseable for whatever reason. Coming home this weekend the camper was squeaking pretty bad. Had to be from all the suspension components or something broke under there.

Going with 8K axles so I don't have to worry about capacity. Also going to disk because I had a couple times this weekend where everyone just came to a halting stop and people would shoot in front of me because I had a lot of space for stopping. You can't win. You leave room to cover yourself and everyone just cuts in front.

Scheduled for March, but since we are close I got put on a short list, which is 2 days or less notice if someone cancels.
                            I think the better suspension will make the trailer ride nicer and the 8k axles will keep you from going over weight, but I assume it won't help the Pin Weight/Sway Issue unless they can move the axles back slightly? Be very interested in your results!

I've been messaging with Grand Design and they told me in on message that I have too much in the garage and need to distribute better and in the next message after I asked how much of the Carrying Capcity I could put in the garage they told me all of it. WTH? They said I need to and the trailer should already be around 15% pin with the garage full. I was like I have 1100 in the garage and my CCC is 3275 and my Pin is only 14.7% so something is amiss...

Dealer was supposed to "test drive" my rig, but it's now been 2+ weeks and they have stopped responding as well. Happy Daze RV. they were "helpful" up front, but have basically left me hanging after a year, blaming everything on GD. All the "good" employees that were trying to help me have left the company, guess that tells you something...

Comment

So I just made an appointment for the IS with Morryde. After trying to grease the wet bolts and have an issue with the 2 rear ones, it is clear this isn't a good design. Plus the outside bolts aren't greaseable for whatever reason. Coming home this weekend the camper was squeaking pretty bad. Had to be from all the suspension components or something broke under there.

Just a note on the wet bolts.

They are supposed to be installed oriented in the 3 or 9 o'clock position. Even in these positions there may be enough weight on them in the right position that they will not take grease. I have found that if I raise the rig with the jacks and take some weight off of the springs and suspension all of mine take grease, some are the same as yours when the full weight is on them and they will not take grease.

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

• Mini Update:

I know have a Case open with Grand Design and a Case open with LCI.

Dealer Called back finally for the "Tow Test" GD wants them to perform and I'm taking it in next week.

LCI emailed and requested I take some frame measurements as the one's the dealer took months ago I sent them didn't make sense.

Was told the Middle Hanger Center (bolt) should be 187 5/8" from the very front of the frame. Mine are 185" Passenger and 185 5/8" Driver Side, so 2-2 5/8" forward. Also noticed my Driver side Shackle to Shackle are 30 1/2" each, but the Passenger side is 30 1/2" Rear and 30 5/8" Front.

Comment

Working...
                                X