Tire Air Leak, Anomaly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Air Leak, Anomaly?

This may sound odd but I'll give it a try. We returned home from our last trip 11/10/20 and as usual parked the rig on the side of our back yard. Yard fully fenced, 6ft pvc with gates, etc, not sun exposure to the drivers side. While we are on the road I always check the tire pressure prior to departing each location. So we've been home a good four months now. Preparing for a short in-state trip, I discover that the drivers side front tire is reading 29lbs. I always run them between 61 and 65 cold. Hmm..... all the way home the TPMS system did not read or indicate any issues with either heat or psi on any of the tires. The rig has not moved the entire time we have been home. Is there any such thing as a tire experiencing an occurrence, while not moving, that could initiate a very slow leak, like the loss of 35 pounds in a little over 4 months?? Anyone have any experiences similar to this that would help me figure it out? I have brought the seemingly possessed tire back to 65 psi cold, waited 1 hour and it didn't show any loss. I'm suspecting that my test was not too scientific so I'll recheck tomorrow, giving it a full 24 hours before checking again. Any and all input much appreciated.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

I have had this issue with plenty of tires. I have a tractor tire that will sit in the garage all year long and hold air , using to mow once a week or so. Then out of the blue the left front tire will be flat. Pump it back up and good to go for months again. A similar experience with a dump trailer tire. I would think that you might have a bad valve , a small puncture , or maybe even a cracked rim that could be the root of the problem. If you could remove the tire/wheel assembly from the trailer and fill to 70 or 80 psi and spray a water/dish soap mix all over the tire and wheel you may find the culprit.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      I have had this issue with plenty of tires. I have a tractor tire that will sit in the garage all year long and hold air , using to mow once a week or so. Then out of the blue the left front tire will be flat. Pump it back up and good to go for months again. A similar experience with a dump trailer tire. I would think that you might have a bad valve , a small puncture , or maybe even a cracked rim that could be the root of the problem. If you could remove the tire/wheel assembly from the trailer and fill to 70 or 80 psi and spray a water/dish soap mix all over the tire and wheel you may find the culprit.

Brian
      Hey thanks Brian, great info and I'll put the procedure you mentioned on the top of my "to do" list. Hopefully others will chime in but your input sounds very logical to me. Tks again. PS; RU planning on being at the summer National Rally?
      Dave and Sue
      2020 GD 2250RK
      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Brian
        When doing the soap thingy, make sure you remove the tire valve cover and spray the valve core. Also, grab the valve and move it around while spraying it. This will help you spot any valve issues.
        When I check my tires, I actually submerge them in my swimming pool. Any little leaks show up very quickly.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

When doing the soap thingy, make sure you remove the tire valve cover and spray the valve core. Also, grab the valve and move it around while spraying it. This will help you spot any valve issues.
          When I check my tires, I actually submerge them in my swimming pool. Any little leaks show up very quickly.

Jim
          ok, will do, good stuff thanks Jim, as usual.
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

When I check my tires, I actually submerge them in my swimming pool.

Jim
            Jim - do you have ramps to drive into your pool or do you just let er rip and run off the edge of your pool ? Would love to see the videos.

Dan
            Dan & Carol
            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post

Jim - do you have ramps to drive into your pool or do you just let er rip and run off the edge of your pool ? Would love to see the videos.

Dan
              A few IPAs and I'm up for anything.
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

So I fought bead sealing issues for a long time on my SXS. Sometimes it would hold air for 6 months, some times 6 hrs In the end I threw in the towel and put in tubes. You may have a slightly imperfect rim that is leaking on the bead. If it has not moved since you parked it and now its low, start with shooting the bead front and rear. From there you may need to pull the wheel and look for anything. I had another tire pick up a staple in the siping groove. Fought that one for about 2 years before I accidentally found the air bubble when spraying it the unknownth time.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                  So I fought bead sealing issues for a long time on my SXS. Sometimes it would hold air for 6 months, some times 6 hrs In the end I threw in the towel and put in tubes. You may have a slightly imperfect rim that is leaking on the bead. If it has not moved since you parked it and now its low, start with shooting the bead front and rear. From there you may need to pull the wheel and look for anything. I had another tire pick up a staple in the siping groove. Fought that one for about 2 years before I accidentally found the air bubble when spraying it the unknownth time.
                  Got it, tks Jlaw
                  Dave and Sue
                  2020 GD 2250RK
                  Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Schiefswret does that mean you found the leak?
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Might help... I had a similar issue with two tires slowly losing pressure. I found the valve cores were passing. I purchased a core tool (and a whack of stem cores) on-line for about $10. I tightened the stem cores and problem solved. My trailer was prone to vibration-related oddities so I made a habit of checking the valve cores as part of the pre-trip routine. (p.s. after having my wheels balanced the cores remained tight and my other vibration issues abated.)
                      Mike & Sonya
                      2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                      Blue Ox SwayPro
                      2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                        Schiefswret does that mean you found the leak?
                        No, just means that I understand what you are saying.
                        Dave and Sue
                        2020 GD 2250RK
                        Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post

No, just means that I understand what you are saying.
                          You know you could be on to something. I fought a very slow leak on my F350 for years until a smart kid at Discount Tire decided to use the water bath after spraying the entire rim with a soap glycerin mixture and over inflating the tire. Turns out I had a very very slow rim leak. They had to polish up the aluminum rim to remove corrosion and use a sealing solution to fix it. Been good for a year now.
                          Hope this helps
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                            I fought a very slow leak on my F350 for years until a smart kid at Discount Tire decided to use the water bath after spraying the entire rim with a soap glycerin mixture...
                            When I check my tires, I actually submerge them in my swimming pool. - TucsonJim

I still think Jim's method of immersing his 297RSTS is the most accurate way of looking for an air leak. (Sorry, jim, I couldn't resist!)

Guest -- is it true you took this picture of Jim checking for an air leak on his 297RSTS at the rally?

Click image for larger version  Name:	TucsonJim.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.5 KB ID:	46627

Yes, I've had a nip or two of an adult beverage tonight...time for bed!

Howard
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Here is the link to the soap/glycerin solution for checking leaks https://www.hunker.com/13417536/how-...detection-soap
                              • Fill a quart jar with clean water.
                              • Measure and add 3 tablespoons of dish detergent. Dawn makes the biggest bubbles per my kids way back when.
                              • Add 2 teaspoons of liquid glycerin to make the bubbles last longer, which makes them easier to detect.
                              • The solution becomes more effective if you leave it overnight in an open container. In fact, the longer you leave it, the better the bubbles it produces.

Hope this helps
                              Keith
                              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                              X