Bearing repack opinions anybody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearing repack opinions anybody?

We bought our trailer in Oct '20 and drove home with it (approximately 700km). Then it's just been sitting for the winter.
    In this situation, Would anybody pull the hubs and do a repack?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    2021 303RLS
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

From October to now, I would not touch the bearings. I would jack up the rig, remove the tires (only for access) pull the rubber plug and look for moisture or signs of issues. Shake the hub assembly and check for excess play. Do not grease it with the fitting on the end of the axle. As convenient as it looks, known issues arise not limited to pushing the seal out the back and greasing the hubs.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

There is also the delivery distance from GD to your dealer to add on to the mileage. I would also agree that an inspection would be a good idea to make sure all is well from the delivery trip. We purchased ours in October of '17 and I did the same thing in the spring , jacked each wheel up and checked for excessive play and inspected the brakes thru the little hole in the back and went about our trips for the year. The following spring as with each since the bearings got cleaned , inspected and repacked. If you are concerned about it do the repack and move on , nothing wrong with that at all.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy

If you are comfortable pulling the hubs, cleaning and inspecting the bearings, inspecting the brakes and replacing the seals . . . why not do this? Starting the season knowing everything is as it should be and that the brakes are properly adjusted, is just good "peace of mind".

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          Scott'n'Wendy

If you are comfortable pulling the hubs, cleaning and inspecting the bearings, inspecting the brakes and replacing the seals . . . why not do this? Starting the season knowing everything is as it should be and that the brakes are properly adjusted, is just good "peace of mind".

Rob
          I second Rob here. I like the peace of mind going into a season knowing what I have.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

X3. A huge advantage in getting this done right away is to clean out all the old grease since the factory brand is unknown (at least it was for my older LCI axles). To have bearings and hubs done with a known grease is a great way in moving forward since its best to be consistent.

Jim

Comment

The other posters are saying to do this for "peace of mind." Of course it would be horrible to have a bearing fail while you are on a trip, and if that's what your mind needs to be comfortable, then do it.

However, bearings should be fine for 2 years/10,000 miles. That's what General RV recommends (where I recently bought my 2021 Reflection travel trailer). The dealer is looking for business, and would recommend once a year if they could get away with it, as it's more money for them to do more service.

I've been towing a 9,000 pound two axle enclosed trailer race car trailer for 15 years and never serviced the bearing more often than every other year. Never had a problem, and every time I serviced the bearings at the two or 3 year interval, they beautifully bathed in wheel grease. You will be fine with once a year service, if not once every two year service, as General RV recommends.
              Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
              2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
              2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post
                The other posters are saying to do this for "peace of mind." Of course it would be horrible to have a bearing fail while you are on a trip, and if that's what your mind needs to be comfortable, then do it.

However, bearings should be fine for 2 years/10,000 miles. That's what General RV recommends (where I recently bought my 2021 Reflection travel trailer). The dealer is looking for business, and would recommend once a year if they could get away with it, as it's more money for them to do more service.

I've been towing a 9,000 pound two axle enclosed trailer race car trailer for 15 years and never serviced the bearing more often than every other year. Never had a problem, and every time I serviced the bearings at the two or 3 year interval, they beautifully bathed in wheel grease. You will be fine with once a year service, if not once every two year service, as General RV recommends.
                These suggestions may be due to a well known greased brake issue on the LCI axles and the missing inner race on some Dexter axles. Both issues solved and corrected.

Once a known brand of grease is used and the initial inspection is done, some will have peace of mind. Agree it should be done correctly from the factory. Also agree with the 2-3 year service interval depending on mileage.

Jim
                Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2021, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                  the missing inner race on some Dexter axles
                  Jim
                  missing inner race?!?!

OK...I'm looking..If their QC is that bad....sheesh.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  2021 303RLS
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

missing inner race?!?!

OK...I'm looking..If their QC is that bad....sheesh.

Its hard to imagine. Even more so that folks would not notice it right away. How did they even make it to the dealer?

https://today.westlaw.com/Document/I...firstPage=true

Jim

Comment

Yes it was an actual thing. 1st 5er had the recall notice, although it was either done before I bought the unit, or the race was not left out. (this is the same axle that fell apart while on the road).

Yes it scares the crap out of me that its possible to install a hub without one of the races and it not get noticed until tires start falling off campers.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Strange that I can't find a 9350 unit recall past the Findlaw article behind the paywall.
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                        X