Long Term Storage With Weight Off the Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Term Storage With Weight Off the Tires

Rob's informative PDF attached. Any questions, ask him Cate&Rob !

Below is a picture of the cover--download the attached PDF for the full presentation.

Long Term Storage - Farrow, Rob.pdf

Click image for larger version  Name:	cover.jpg Views:	436 Size:	139.2 KB ID:	55714
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 10-12-2022, 04:53 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Moderator note: Post below copied from https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...re-replacement -Howard

If you lift by the axle end, between the U bolts, you must use a half-circle adapter. The flat top of jack could damage the thin wall axle tube. A second choice is to use a block of wood between the jack and the underside of the U bolts.

Lifting by the axle end means that a 2” lift will get the tire off the ground without tipping the trailer. Lifting by the trailer frame (as usually recommended by the axle manufacturers) means that you will need blocking under the jack to get it high enough, will have to lift 4” or more because of the suspension relaxing and will be significantly tipping the trailer towards the other side.

Rob
    Last edited by howson; 05-29-2021, 03:14 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks so much for the timely response. Robs pdf post answered my questions and put my mind at ease as to where to lift up on the axles. Much thanks to you and to Rob for sharing his strategy !!!😃

Comment

Moderator note: Post below copied from https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...re-replacement I also added a picture of the cradle for the casual reader. -Howard

Here is a link to a bottle jack cradle that you can weld to the top of a bottle jack.
        https://smile.amazon.com/Swag-Road-B...s%2C230&sr=8-2

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cradle.JPG
Views:	637
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	55748
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Cate&Rob Is there any risk of bending the axle by doing this?
          2020 Imagine 2400BH
          2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post
            Cate&Rob Is there any risk of bending the axle by doing this?
            If anything . . . there would be less risk of bending the axles when sitting on the stands than when sitting on the tires (but, this would be a very slight difference.) The weight of the trailer is supported by the springs attached to the axles. The tires are slightly outboard of this, so there would be a small bending moment. If the axles stands are places between the U bolts, they are directly under the springs and there is absolutely no bending moment on the axle.

If by "bending" you mean "denting" the axles tube, it is important to have a saddle on the top of the stand that nests uniformly to the axle tube with no flat sections against the round axle tube. This duplicates the top saddle welded to the axle tube for the spring seat and the tightly fitted U bolts that go around the axle tube.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob I guess another and important question - how long does a trailer need to sit before it develops flat spots / damage to the tires? I realize this question is one of those it depends on the weight and the specific tire and ply of the tire....but wonder if anyone knows a general answer.

The reason I ask - is you are doing this just to save the tires right?
              2020 Imagine 2400BH
              2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

bellis

I expect that every tire manufacturer will advise that extended time sitting stationary and carrying weight is not good for their tires. I store with weight off the tires to preserve the tires, but also this allows spinning the wheels every once in a while so the brakes don’t sit in one place and pulling the hubs for bearing repack is easy.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  Rob's informative PDF attached. Any questions, ask him Cate&Rob !

Below is a picture of the cover--download the attached PDF for the full presentation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	55714
                  I couldn't find the attached PDF on the post by howson in this thread, but did find the PDF in the following thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ng-the-trailer
                  2021 Reflection 260 RD
                  2020 Ford F-250

Comment

RGEarley -- when the forum software was uploaded a lot of the links inside of posts were somehow removed (or not reinserted?). Thanks for the note--fixed the post.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

During storage I jack her up and spin the wheels every other month. No specific reason for the every other month timing. Just feels about right. And has been working good for 7 years of trailer ownership.

Comment

Working...
                      X