No announcement yet.

Metal band on leaf spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am wondering if anyone here knows if they use the same springs on the 8K axle, as they use on the 7K one. I wouldn't think so, but I am picking up my trailer tomorrow from the dealer, and want to make sure that they put on the correct springs. With most of the trailers having the 7K axle, it would be easy for them to order the wrong one, and I just want to double check, my google-fu couldn't find the answer. Not saying the dealer would put the wrong one on, but I like double checking when possible.
    2021 GD Momentum 320G 8K Axle
    2023 Chevy 3500HD LTZ SB CC 4x4 Dmax

Comment

Wileykid

There are many different manufacturers of leaf springs and ways to get to a load rating WRT number of leaves and thickness of each leaf. There is a common reference system used by some. A UNA-054 spring is rated at 3500 lbs and has 7 leaves. A UNA-055 spring is rated at 4000 lbs and has 8 leaves. There are certainly other configurations of 4000 lb springs for 8000 lb axles.

There are several spring supplier cross references on the internet. If you can get a part number from the new springs, you should be able to find it's specs.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Wileykid

There are many different manufacturers of leaf springs and ways to get to a load rating WRT number of leaves and thickness of each leaf. There is a common reference system used by some. A UNA-054 spring is rated at 3500 lbs and has 7 leaves. A UNA-055 spring is rated at 4000 lbs and has 8 leaves. There are certainly other configurations of 4000 lb springs for 8000 lb axles.

There are several spring supplier cross references on the internet. If you can get a part number from the new springs, you should be able to find it's specs.

Rob
        Thank you. They are only replacing the front springs, so I will compare the front to the rear, and see if they have numbers on them. I like having the info prior,if possible.

Comment

Wileykid

Rob
          I brought the trailer home, and looking at the springs, they left one of the bar code/description labels on the spring. The description is for the 8000 lb axle, I have not tried to get the actual numbers off them yet.

The springs they use, are 7 leaf, so maybe a little thicker metal to make them 4K springs.

Comment

Have an update on this. The passenger (door) side front axle spring rebound clip has come off twice since the spring replacement. First time, I was able to put it back, but the second time, the clip is broken. Went to the dealer, and they will look at it next week, the most important is they documented it today as the one year warranty expires in 5 days. The spring on the second axle right behind it, the second leaf on the rear has slipped sideways slightly, causing it to hit the hanger bracket. I pounded it back, but when I relieved the some of the axle pressure to lube the suspension, it went back.

Would love to hear any idea's of what is causing this. My only thought, is that the axles are not straight (tire wear looks good). I back the trailer into my driveway which is about 5-7*, and the road is small. I end up with up to maybe 60-65* trailer/truck angle. Turn is on the passenger side (driver side is not possible with street grade), so a lot of the trailer load is briefly put on the passenger side of the trailer.

I didn't find it in a search, but does anyone know the zerk fitting size they use on the springs? The one on the drivers side rear is inaccessible with the rear bathroom grey/black tank pipe going right in front of it. I was going to replace it with a 90* zerk.

Comment

Cate&Rob -- see post 20, specifically the second paragraph.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Wileykid View Post
                Have an update on this. The passenger (door) side front axle spring rebound clip has come off twice since the spring replacement. First time, I was able to put it back, but the second time, the clip is broken. Went to the dealer, and they will look at it next week, the most important is they documented it today as the one year warranty expires in 5 days. The spring on the second axle right behind it, the second leaf on the rear has slipped sideways slightly, causing it to hit the hanger bracket. I pounded it back, but when I relieved the some of the axle pressure to lube the suspension, it went back.

Would love to hear any idea's of what is causing this. My only thought, is that the axles are not straight (tire wear looks good). I back the trailer into my driveway which is about 5-7*, and the road is small. I end up with up to maybe 60-65* trailer/truck angle. Turn is on the passenger side (driver side is not possible with street grade), so a lot of the trailer load is briefly put on the passenger side of the trailer.

I didn't find it in a search, but does anyone know the zerk fitting size they use on the springs? The one on the drivers side rear is inaccessible with the rear bathroom grey/black tank pipe going right in front of it. I was going to replace it with a 90* zerk.

One of my leaf springs was getting slightly out of alignment. The U bolts were not tight enough.
                Jim (& Sharon)
                2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                The toys:
                2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

With reference to the earlier posts in this thread . . . particularly the first picture attached to post 5 which shows what a rebound clip should look like . . . the thin metal bands are not rebound clips. They may have a function during manufacturing to hold the stack of leaves together and as a place for the part number info, but they will never control the dynamic loads of a spring in use.

JCR GD Jim has a good reminder to check U bolt torque, but this central clamping function is still gong to have a difficult time controlling leaves moving sideways at their outer ends. Finding a spring source that uses robust rebound clips would be the best way to resolve this. (in my opinion).

Rob

Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

With reference to the earlier posts in this thread . . . particularly the first picture attached to post 5 which shows what a rebound clip should look like . . . the thin metal bands are not rebound clips. They may have a function during manufacturing to hold the stack of leaves together and as a place for the part number info, but they will never control the dynamic loads of a spring in use.

JCR GD Jim has a good reminder to check U bolt torque, but this central clamping function is still gong to have a difficult time controlling leaves moving sideways at their outer ends. Finding a spring source that uses robust rebound clips would be the best way to resolve this. (in my opinion).

Rob
                    Thanks for the response. My intention is to buy some heavier duty clips after I see what the factory says. If they say it is okay without them, I am good with that, just want clarification, and if needed, fixes to be under warranty. I am also trying to understand the why of this, if possible.

When it stops raining, I will check the u-bolts. Anyone know what the torque should be on them?

Comment

Originally posted by Wileykid View Post

When it stops raining, I will check the u-bolts. Anyone know what the torque should be on them?
                      Here is a copy from the Dexter Axle manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dexter Torque.JPG
Views:	663
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	84315

Jim and Ginnie
                      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Wileykid

Here is a pic of the U-bolt torque, I think this should fit what you need.

Name:	20180501_184856.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	84317

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I also want to post the Lippert torque settings for U Bolts in case someone has their axles. My 5200lb axles call for 65 torque setting.

Name:	9092445E-3CCB-4701-B0FF-D8ABD094BA59.jpeg
Views:	693
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	84321

Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                          Demco Recon

Comment

Thank you TucsonJim and Country Campers for that info. Appreciate that.

Comment

Found the U-Bolts on the springs that are still original from the factory to be not torqued down to spec. May have loosen over last years use, and several of the nuts were probably 10-15 ft lbs under what they should have been. The U-Bolts on the springs that were replaced were good. Trailer is at the dealer now to see what they and the factory will say on the issue's.

Comment

This seems to be getting more interesting. Got a call from the dealer yesterday, and they have submitted a warranty claim to the factory to replace both the front and rear leaf springs on the right side, and replace both the front and rear hangar brackets also, on that side. Going to be interesting on what the factory says.

Comment

Working...
                                X