Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

trailer brakes not working like they should.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trailer brakes not working like they should.

I have a 2018 grand design solitude 375res model. I just recently noticed that when I get ready to hit the road and do a brake check my factory Ford electric brake controller is set at a 10 on the output. And when testing trailer stops some but at that percentage I feel the brakes should lockup? Checked trucks brake pads and they are good. Don’t think I would need to check brakes on trailer beings it’s new and I don’t put very many mikes on it a year. How do you test the brake controller?

Hi Jason. Welcome to the forum.

Here are some questions that may help point us in the right direction:

1. How far away from Indiana do you live. The reason we need to know this is to see if the brakes have had a chance to be broken in yet. Normally, they get broken in when the delivery driver brings it to your dealer. But it's possible that this didn't happen yet if you live close.

2. What model and year is your Ford? The reason I ask is that there are some settings hidden in the driver's information panel that most owner's don't know about.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

• howson
      howson commented
      Editing a comment
      You beat me to it, Jim!

Originally posted by Jason B View Post
    I have a 2018 grand design solitude 375res model. I just recently noticed that when I get ready to hit the road and do a brake check my factory Ford electric brake controller is set at a 10 on the output. And when testing trailer stops some but at that percentage I feel the brakes should lockup? Checked trucks brake pads and they are good. Don’t think I would need to check brakes on trailer beings it’s new and I don’t put very many mikes on it a year. How do you test the brake controller?
    What model Ford truck do you have? On my '17 F-350 there's an "Effort" setting that can be set to Light, Medium or Heavy. This is completely separate from the brake controller setting. Page 285 of the '17 Superduty's manual has the procedure for how to set up the effort and brake controller. This link *should* take you to the right page--just search for the word "effort": http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...userMarket=USA

If it's not the truck, then the brakes themselves may need adjusting. I know next to nothing about drum brakes, so I'll leave it to others to advise you on that topic.

-Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The truck is a 2014 F350.

Comment

And I am in California. Guessing the brakes should be broken in by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason B View Post
          And I am in California. Guessing the brakes should be broken in by now.
          You're trucks options will be totally different from mine then. Even though the brakes are supposed to auto adjust, I have read many posts where they have had to be adjusted manually get them close. I cannot help you with the exact procedure as I've never done it myself
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Even when functioning properly the brakes will probably not lockup. With the weight of these large trailers the tires have great traction. Skidding or locking up is driven by a combination of low traction and brake force.

All that said it doesn’t sound like the brakes are working correctly. On the trailer I would check the operation of the individual brakes.

First thing to do is a simple visual inspection, look at and check the wire connections on the backside of each wheel.

Next step is to check the operation of each brake individually.

Process:

1. Trailer does not need to be connected to a tow vehicle.
            2. One at a time raise a wheel off the ground enough to freely turn the wheel by hand.
            3. Pull the break away cable.
            4. Turn the wheel that had been raised off the ground.
            5. Wheel should turn less than 1/8 of a turn before locking up.
            6. Replace break away cable.

Colan Arnold
            2016 Momentum 397TH
            Full time since 2016

Comment

Just one added item. After sitting, especially in a humid climate, the break drums will oxidize. It will take a few hard stops to clean things up. Not sure how you tested, but do a few good firm stops and then check.

Hope this helps
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I've done some reading this morning on your issue which was similar to what I encountered with my 2013 Ford F350 paired with my 2014 Reflection 337RLS. I couldn't get the brakes to "lock up" either, and the braking felt inadequate. I tried adjusting the brakes, but to no avail. I always had the controller set to 9 and the trailer brakes never really seemed to work well. From my research of the 2014 Ford manual, there is no method for you to adjust the "effort" like there is on my 2016 model.

First, I'd follow Colan's recommendation to make sure the trailer brakes are actually working. If they are, my next step would be to manually adjust them.

If the brakes are working correctly, and the adjustment is correct, I'd seriously consider an aftermarket brake controller like the Prodigy. This has apparently solved the problem for many Ford owners in the 2013-2015 model years. The integrated trailer brake controller for those model years just doesn't seem to be up to the task with heavier trailers.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Before you spend money on this (brake inspection, Prodigy controller, etc) consider putting that money towards hydraulic disc brakes. Even in perfect working condition, electric drum brakes won't ever brake as well as EoH disc brakes. Solve the problem once and for all . . . rather than always worrying about whether your trailer brakes are working.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I had the same problem on my 315 RLTS. The dealer told me it was just a heavy trailer. My brakes seamed to be adjusted properly so I just didn't get it. At a rally I attended the subject came up to a Grand Design rep. His answer
                    ​​​​​was the brakes my need to be burnished. When I left the rally and I was headed home I did exactly what he said and it was like a day and night difference. My brake controller went from 10 to 6. I'm so glad I attended that rally. Burnishing brakes = When you can get your speed up to fifty MPH push the brake controller lever to set the trailer brakes to reduce the speed to forty MPH and keep that speed for one mile. You do not have to push the brake leaver hard enough to lock up the trailer brakes just enough to slow down to forty. After one mile release the brake controller and let the brakes cool for a few miles and try your brakes and you should feel a difference.

Comment

You really need to pull the brakes apart and inspect the grease seals. I would wager that you have grease on the brake pads. There are numerous complaints on the web about the seals leaking grease onto the brakes pads.

First modification I made was replacing the Westlake tires with a set of Goodyear G114's. The second modification I made on my 2019 375 RES was to switch out the brakes. I replaced the electric brakes with electric over hydraulic disc brakes.

On the brand new unit with the electric brakes I had the brake controller set to an 8, with the disc brakes it's set on 4.
                      2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD
                      2019 GD Solitude 375RES-R

Comment

In my opinion, there is not a problem with the drum brakes. The issue is an application problem. My little travel trailer with 5,600 pound axles has 12" x 2" brakes. That is the same exact brake used by much heavier Solitudes and Momentums with 7,000 pound axles. I can lock up the brakes on my 9,995 GVWR trailer. I could never get them to lock up on my 14,000 GVWR FW, even though the brake controller was the same.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
                        X