Bottle jack and adapters for raising axle/tire off the ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottle jack and adapters for raising axle/tire off the ground

I try and keep this short and simple - well you know me. I posted about my all-in-one jack failure. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-jack-failure

I have been looking for repair kits and replacement components such as just replacing the jack. Powerbuilt (AKA alltradetools.com) does not make or carry them. I was hoping they wold have a similar bottle jack that would fit the frame - Nope I have even searched the web for a 3 or 4 ton jack of simular dimensions (9" to saddle and 2.5" barrell and accept cap screw), There out there, but the release fitting wont clear, unless they can be swapped (plug for screw) and I would need to drill and tap the saddle for the cap screw - not an easy task if its hardened.

So today I was at TractorSupply getting some tractor pins, etc and noticed they had Powerbuilt and Torin Big Red (good reviews) stocked on the shelf. They also had a 4 ton stand alone Powerbuilt bottle jack on the shelf. The manager was around and asked for his help. I explained the situation that I had bought my jack there 3 years ago and the issue and what the manufactured has said, So he pulled the all in one out and the 4 ton out to compare. The 4 ton would not fit (barrel to big) and the release screw was hidden by the jack stand. He then checked his parts sources and nope - nothing to be had.

I said thanks and started to walk away. Manager said hold on - let me see what I can do. He offered me this jack at 25% off https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...k?cm_vc=-10005 and threw in the 2 year extended warrentee. Basically his cost. I took him up on the offer.

Why the 12 ton - need something that big for my tractor too - I know it overkill for the trailer, but when I used the 3 ton Powerbuilt all-in-one, jacking was a bit difficult for me, I just don't have the arm strength I used to. I was jacking the frame though.

Now I need a safe jacking adapter. Bottle Jack Buddy ($39) may have an adapter for the 3" axle tubes soon(current is 2.75"). It may fit the saddle of this 12 ton jack - I will need to verify. https://bottlejackbuddy.net/about-1

Then I ran across this ($64) flat plate adapter that will fit https://safejacks.com/collections/bo...on-bottle-jack I have an email in how how big the plate is, but I am guessing it is 3" by 3", With a block of wood I think I could safely jack against the axle U-bolts, or against the frame.

So I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Safe Jack flat pad + wood works for me. Feels very stable with the pad on the bottle jacks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	12 Ton Jacks & Safe Jack Adapters.jpg
Views:	4524
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	59164
    Last edited by gbkims; 06-29-2021, 09:35 AM.
    Gene and Kim
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
    2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Keith

Being as you have had a shop make some other parts for you see if they have some round tubing or could machine a piece that would fit the axel tubes and then weld another piece of tubing on it to fit the jack cylinder. This just might be the cheapest and easiest way around this , plus you will support a local shop instead of the never never land across the ocean. This is what I did but having my own shop makes this a little easier.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

gbkims
        Hi Gene,

For some reason, the pictures that you linked to post 2 are not showing up. (at least . . . not on my Mac or iPad)

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Just about any fabrication shop should be able to make an adapter that will nest to the axle tube (3" Dia) and fit properly to the top of your jack. I have made several of these for different jacks.

Rob

Name:	IMG_1100.jpg
Views:	4861
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	59141
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            Keith

Being as you have had a shop make some other parts for you see if they have some round tubing or could machine a piece that would fit the axel tubes and then weld another piece of tubing on it to fit the jack cylinder. This just might be the cheapest and easiest way around this , plus you will support a local shop instead of the never never land across the ocean. This is what I did but having my own shop makes this a little easier.

Brian
            Thanks Brian
            I have already checked around - more than online - expensive. Most welders here are $75 and hour plus the steel. I was quoted between $75 and $100. The gentleman I use before is out of business (Covid) and phone no longer in service. so my options are limited

Bottle jack buddy did respond to me email (very fast response) thier new unit will fit my jack. They should have the 3" saddles in the end of the week or early next week

I just wish I could weld; Hmmm - I cold get a good Miller dual voltage mig welder set up out of this - think SWMBO would go for it? Probably not. But then I would need to learn how to weld. Id haft to drive an hour to go back to school

gbkims
            Gene your pictures did not show up for me either and I am running Windows 10. Could you please try again. Thanks for responding though

Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

2nd try on photos of bottle jacks with safe jack flat pads. I'll try thumbnails size.

Name:	12 Ton & 6 Ton Double Ram - Low Height.jpg
Views:	4078
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	59155Click image for larger version

Name:	12 Ton Jacks & Safe Jack Adapters.jpg
Views:	4409
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	59156Click image for larger version

Name:	12 ton jacks w Flat Adapter & 4x4 Wood.JPG
Views:	4370
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	59157Click image for larger version

Name:	Axe Perch, 4x4.jpg
Views:	4158
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	59158
              Attached Files
              Gene and Kim

Comment

Bottle Jacks, Couple more photos.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	12 Ton & 6 Ton Double Ram - Extended Height.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.4 KB ID:	59163
                Click image for larger version  Name:	Axe Perch + Oak.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.3 KB ID:	59162
                Gene and Kim

Comment

Here is what I do to use a bottle jack under the U bolts. I cut a piece of birch plywood (hardwood) and glued a small piece of plywood to fill the gap between the U bolts. On the other side I attached a piece of metal to prevent the bottle jack from damaging the plywood under load. I’ve used it a few times and it seems to work well

Bob

Name:	temp - 1.jpeg
Views:	3902
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	59197

Name:	temp - 2.jpeg
Views:	3834
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	59198
                  ​
                  Last edited by bogen2; 06-29-2021, 02:55 PM. Reason: Uploaded pics again
                  2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
                  2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post
                    Here is what I do to use a bottle jack under the U bolts. I cut a piece of birch plywood (hardwood) and glued a small piece of plywood to fill the gap between the U bolts. On the other side I attached a piece of metal to prevent the bottle jack from damaging the plywood under load. I’ve used it a few times and it seems to work well

Bob

​
                    ​
                    Forum seems to have fiddly photo uploads, I could see my photos but others couldn't.
                    Now I can't see your photos.
                    Gene and Kim

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

Forum seems to have fiddly photo uploads, I could see my photos but others couldn't.
                      Now I can't see your photos.
                      Not sure why. They show up for me on my phone and laptop.

Bob
                      2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

Originally posted by bogen2 View Post
                        Not sure why. They show up for me on my phone and laptop.

Bob
                        I cant see then either....must be my Dogma, chasing my Carma

Comment

Uploaded the pics again, this time from my laptop. Hopefully they go through this time.

Bob
                          2018 Reflection 295RL

Comment

My first post. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your forum.

This thread about bottle jacks is exactly what I needed.

Bottle Jacks scare me due to the realatively small footprint offered by the Saddle. I constantly fear slippage. With this in mind, I am looking for more ideas to "spread the load" on the small Saddle.
                            Another reason for my sudden (yes, it is sudden) interest in Bottle Jacks is, after buying a 3 Ton Floor Jack just yesterday and almost putting my back out just unpacking the damn thing, I really need a much lighter alternative.

Grateful for all suggestions🙂

Comment

Originally posted by StuWoolf View Post
                              My first post. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your forum.

This thread about bottle jacks is exactly what I needed.

Bottle Jacks scare me due to the realatively small footprint offered by the Saddle. I constantly fear slippage. With this in mind, I am looking for more ideas to "spread the load" on the small Saddle.
                              Another reason for my sudden (yes, it is sudden) interest in Bottle Jacks is, after buying a 3 Ton Floor Jack just yesterday and almost putting my back out just unpacking the damn thing, I really need a much lighter alternative.

Grateful for all suggestions🙂
                              I feel you with the weight. I have a large floor jack I use in the shop and its a beast. I know they make aluminum ones, they are pricy but a lot lighter. We are looking at doing Alaska in a few years and I have considered one for that trip to have for the truck and trailer. Thus far when I have had flats on the road I have gotten by using the levelers, it works but not recommended. For any major work I have done at home I use the floor jack though, and again that does not help me with the truck at all.
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
                              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                              X