Rear Bumper and Receiver Hitch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Bumper and Receiver Hitch?

I just made an offer on a 2018 Reflection 230RL. Just waiting on things to process to pick up.

The current owner has a receiver style bike rack mounted to the bumper, with a receiver that is U-bolted to the bumper. This is a big no-no in my opinion. But the bumper is much beefier than the travel trailer we sold. Are the Reflection bumpers rated for this?

Second. I have seen the 230RL with a frame mounted receiver hitch. Can I buy the frame mounted receiver someplace?

I wouldn’t trust a bumper mounted hitch. Lippert sells a hitch. I installed a Curt 13703 on my 303.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Uncamplicated

Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

Grand Design has (at different times) used a sewer hose tube "bumper", or a bolt on receiver intended for carrying something or a welded on receiver intended for towing something. I don't think that they have ever endorsed clamping anything to the tube bumper. It is very thin wall steel (less than 1/16") and although there are aftermarket clamp on bike racks . . . there are also internet pictures of what happens when the thin wall tube tears. A bolt on or welded on receiver would be the way to go, but if you leave the original bumper in place the new receiver would have to go below this and thus would be lower than an OE receiver.

Rob​​​​​​
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I'll throw this out there. I've added this bumper support system to my Solitude years ago. https://www.amazon.com/ENIXWILL-Rein...3214206&sr=8-9
        I have a bumper mount receiver and a Swagman bike rack and two e-bikes back there. I inspect the beams for cracks regularly and haven't seen a hint of stress.
        Be honest, am I being naive?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncamplicated View Post
          I just made an offer on a 2018 Reflection 230RL. Just waiting on things to process to pick up.

The current owner has a receiver style bike rack mounted to the bumper, with a receiver that is U-bolted to the bumper. This is a big no-no in my opinion. But the bumper is much beefier than the travel trailer we sold. Are the Reflection bumpers rated for this?

Second. I have seen the 230RL with a frame mounted receiver hitch. Can I buy the frame mounted receiver someplace?
          MY 2018 Reflection 220RK came with a rear receiver hitch and no bumper, It is mounted (bolted) to the frame. I believe if you talk to Lippert or your dealer there may be a factory one available for your unit. Mine has a 300 lb weight limit and I think towing is 3K
          Last edited by Yoda; 01-26-2022, 05:03 PM.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

On my 21 Reflection 303 the receiver is welded. probably a change they made b/c its faster and cheaper to weld one on than to drill holes and bolt.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

TNFSolitude
              Hi Tom,
              I have seen those brackets (probably on your RV . . . LOL) and if they are working, that is a good endorsement for a solid reinforcement of the bumper tube. And I know you bounce the heck out of that trailer in your travels !

Yoda Jlawles2
              Keith & Joseph,
              The bolted on receiver was for carrying only and did not have attachment locations for trailer safety chains or a wiring harness connection. The later welded on receiver was intended for either carrying or towing and had provisions for trailer safety chains and a wiring connection.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
              X